DVDVR Message Board

SDL Should Have Been Me - 5/21/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I liked Dolph Ziggler round about 2010-2013 time. Dolph Ziggler MITB cash-in to Alberto Del Rio on the post WrestleMania XXIX RAW was one of the most memorable of them and the double turn match at Payback 2013 was well done. Ziggler doesn't feel like he's freshened up his act, dorkiness as well. Ziggler's had moments but weren't capitalized on. Ziggler/Lana pairing vs. Rusev/Summer Rae sucked.

• Like 4

Dolph didn't start getting shit on here until like 4 years ago. Everyone was still on board at the one Survivor Series with Sting and the Authority.

I think everyone started to turn when he started to cut shooty "I AM THE BEST *PERFORMER*" promos. I know that's what turned me.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Why do people hate Dolph Ziggler now? Not that he's my favorite worker ever, but is he basically seen now as WWE's Davey Richards? 

Still thought that 3-way with Bryan Kofi and Zayn on SDL was awesome and probably my favorite match of Kofi's title run so far.

lol now? He had a small window where he became tolerable again and that was the well booked feud for the IC title where he put his career on the line. He was actually likable then.

Actually, two small windows. The second was the brief period where he was aligned with Drew. That ended is such a shit show way though.

Other than that, Dolph sucks. He sounds like a whiny bitch on the mic whether if he's a face or a heel. His whole gimmick is fucking dumb because it's "guy who puts on the best 'show' regardless if he wins or loses." 

He just never progressed as a wrestler and it didn't help that he was booked into oblivion. Now he's basically a part time dude getting part time benefits when he's never done anything to earn those benefits and he's not good enough to be welcomed back on a part time basis.

As dumb as Brock coming back to win MitB was since Brock is just a walking MitB anyway, he totally owned the moment, heeled it up better than anyone else could for that crowd, and then heeled it up even more on Raw.

Dolph is pretty much the Platonic ideal of "old guy blocking new guys." There's absolutely no reason he still has an upper card spot when we could name a dozen younger workers that could be elevated at this point. 

And running Kofi/Dolph reinforces the idea of the World title as a mid-card belt. Kofi can work as either "underutilized talent finally getting to prove himself against main eventers" or "veteran who gets taken to the limit by young workers but uses his experience and athleticism to eke out a win." The former gets a few fresh match-ups and establishes Kofi as legit. The latter eventually elevates a new guy. Kofi/Dolph gets you a failed stand-up comic with a jacket full of JC Penney "metal" patches who got clowned by Amy Schumer for being bad in bed.

The main reason for me why I am tired of Dolph is because we get every 4 months of him acting like how valuable he would be outside of the WWE and EVERY SINGLE TIME he stays working for the company.    He is the guy at your office who bitches every day about his job for the last 30 years.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, hammerva said:

The main reason for me why I am tired of Dolph is because we get every 4 months of him acting like how valuable he would be outside of the WWE and EVERY SINGLE TIME he stays working for the company.    He is the guy at your office who bitches every day about his job for the last 30 years.  

Oh my god. 100% this. If Dolph thinks he's so fucking valuable and good then he'd bet on himself to make just as much or more money on the indies or in Japan. Hell, doing that would give him even more time to steal jokes or recite lines written for him during Roast Battle.

• Like 1

The final blow for Dolph came in 2015 with that horrible Lana/Rusev/Summer Rae/Dolph love quad of doom angle. Everyone came out looking worse, though Summer earned points for actually trying to make it work. Everyone knew Lana/Rusev were a real-life couple, then Lana doubled down by running to TMZ to announce their engagement. Dolph, supposedly the face, looked like a scummy man whore. Rusev and Summer Rae were weirdos with Summer cosplaying Lana. And Lana was just an all-around dumb floozy, based on booking. All four people looked like sluts, that's an accomplishment that actual soap operas can't pull off.

I think Dolph pretty much gave up after that, but man. Just leave. He's single with no kids, there's no indication that he's a big spender. He's probably got a good nest egg. Leave WWE, hit the indie circuit for a couple of years, maybe do a online TV show to see if he can get his comedy career off the ground. 

He's literally the guy with a top executive job who whines when he doesn't win a worthless Executive of the Year award. He's got a corner office, private parking, and company credit card with a golden parachute waiting for him. Either take the Orton route and enjoy coasting or hit the road.

• Like 5

I like Dolph. He’s not my favorite, but I think he’s talented. He’s just stale. And he’s been stale. They had a chance to revitalize him when he had that survivor series moment, but they did nothing. I think he can help the team when motivated, he just never is.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

I like Dolph. He’s not my favorite, but I think he’s talented. He’s just stale. And he’s been stale. They had a chance to revitalize him when he had that survivor series moment, but they did nothing. I think he can help the team when motivated, he just never is.

Apt description, stale.

• Like 1

Just now, Peck said:

24/7 had Corey corpsing at Byron as Truth was sprinting out of the arena and Sami almost losing it as Drake limped by. For that, it's a success already.

Check Drake's twitter out, he's doing a grand job promoting it.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

She said he was "too athletic " in bed, not that he was bad.

Followed up by perhaps the greatest Meltzer line of all time, something along the lines of "I guess she was more into comedy and stalling".

1 hour ago, Peck said:

24/7 had Corey corpsing at Byron as Truth was sprinting out of the arena and Sami almost losing it as Drake limped by. For that, it's a success already.

Yup, the casual homophobia Corey busted out was super cool too.   

40 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

Followed up by perhaps the greatest Meltzer line of all time, something along the lines of "I guess she was more into comedy and stalling".

Hey, funny can = money.

I gave up on Dolph when I realized he was a stand up comic who had been on television for a more than a decade and has never. once. said. anything. funny.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Now he's basically a part time dude getting part time benefits when he's never done anything to earn those benefits and he's not good enough to be welcomed back on a part time basis.

He's paid dues bumping full time for a decade and less is more when it comes to how often most guys should be working.Assuming they're not breaking the bank on him, why not give him a decent schedule?

Regardless, him having time off recently doesn't necessarily mean he's part time. 

I haven't seen Dave or anyone mention yet, but it's quite possible this was a matter of "Hey, Kofi has to beat someone in KSA, Kevin, Sami, and DB are all saying no...", so they tell Dolph, 'You're still under contract.  Go do this job.'   

Because the last I'd heard was that they were kneeling out the clock with his contract.  

• Like 1

I'll take Dolph any day over the last month+ of boring ass Owens. With no interest in most of this show, I only watched the last 30 mins and thought Dolph gave a solid different promo.

Also liked the feud video for HHH/Orton chronicling their history from 03-09. 

• Like 1