DVDVR Message Board

Raw is 24/7 - 5/20/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I think the fan response is still the same even if he reveals a hardcore title. Another fucking title that isn't treated seriously isn't giving fans what they want..

Lost in all of this is Cesaro's new entrance music. I'm not sure what to think about it yet.

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think the fan response is still the same even if he reveals a hardcore title. Another fucking title that isn't treated seriously isn't giving fans what they want..

Lost in all of this is Cesaro's new entrance music. I'm not sure what to think about it yet.

First impression of Cesaro's new entrance theme, I like.

Do miss this:

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

(Though he did finally admit that the fans probably expected the Hardcore title and were disappointed when they didn't get it)

Is there even that much of a difference between the new 24/7 title and the version of the Hardcore title with 24/7 rules? It's the same thing to me, but with a different name.

Naomi on Twitter is saying the title is intergender, so that's something I guess. But it's a comedy belt at this point, so who even cares really.

Edited by Casey

Technically the Hardcore title was intergender since Molly Holly and one of the Godfather's Hos won it.

Yeah - I think they just don't want to use the phrase "Hardcore" to avoid potentially scaring off advertisers.

Or it just could be Vince really really really wanted to have that goofy ass belt

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Technically the Hardcore title was intergender since Molly Holly and one of the Godfather's Hos won it.

Yeah - I think they just don't want to use the phrase "Hardcore" to avoid potentially scaring off advertisers.

Or it just could be Vince really really really wanted to have that goofy ass belt

Trish and Terri won it as well.

• Like 1

I like the 24/7 idea. It's not like No Way Jose will ever contend for another championship. This a way to give mid-card folks some TV time and their names in the WWE record books. It's all in fun. A lot of it will be done over social media, which guys like Drake Maverick and R-Truth excel at. Imagine R-Truth has the belt again sometime only for his riding buddy Roman Reigns to pin him on the side of the highway for it. Braun Strowman is built for something like this, then have his buddy Drake take it off him. Someone is totally going to win it on UUDD.

The belt is hilariously ugly and the name is sort of goofy. But it utilizes people whose creativity otherwise doesn't get used. We can debate the cause of the non-use, but this being a by-product of it isn't a bad thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can imagine the 24/7 title is also one of Vince's ideas to get people interested in attending house shows again.

I recall during the last few years of the Hardcore Title (particularly around the time of the original brand split), a Hardcore Title defense on a house show usually consisted of the belt changing hands 5-6 times in the span of a minute, with the guy who came in as champ ending up scoring the final pin and leaving as champ (that's what happened last house show I ever attended -- 2002 in DC with Bradshaw as title holder). 

It would definitely work as a U.S. equivalent to the  Ironman belt in DDT -- having a referee, announcer or inanimate object win the belt could definitely be a "viral" moment, though I highly doubt Vince knows what that means and would squash it if it got that far. (And thinking about house shows, getting a local celebrity like an athlete or media personality to hold the belt for a few seconds could garner some attention).

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

There's a reason you didn't see both of them running out there for the 24/7 Belt.  

(Also, both should have been released 5+ years ago.) 

Hawkins actually was released five years ago...

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I guess the biggest difference is that the 24/7 won’t be defended in actual hardcore matches.

7 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Hawkins actually was released five years ago...

I guess the biggest difference is that the 24/7 won’t be defended in actual hardcore matches.

Think that through. If someone uses a chair to knock someone out and then pins him, are they going to get disqualified?

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

First impression of Cesaro's new entrance theme, I like.

Do miss this:

Whoever thought, "let's just have some polyglots rap over Dean Malenko's old theme" proves that genius might sound crazy in theory, but in practice, it always reveals itself as genius. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Dammit, they better fly in Yoshihiko for a shot at some point!

The next time they are in Japan I'm hoping someone has the 24/7 Title win the Heavymetalweight Title.

7 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Sounds like Foley had a head cold. The money I guess was too good not to accept:

Foley was out here saying that he'd work a Hell in a Cell match in Saudi Arabia if the money was right, so I'm not sure that the company can't offer him $$$ that is too good to not accept. 

Perhaps the next WWE '20 video game will focus solely on the 24/7 title, and it will be like Grand Theft Auto, where your wrestler of choice has to find the title holder, defeat them, then continue to carry the title around town until losing it.

(God, the AKI engine would be phenomenal for a game like that ....)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've always found the DDT Ironman title amusing... on paper. A pork chop was the champion because it pinned the previous champion... a plate of rice. That takes things down to a macro level of surrealness that I hope WWE never goes near. I hope they stay away from the inanimate object stuff.

I do however think we'll get Nattie Niedhart's cat as a champion at some point.

19 minutes ago, Swiftian said:

I've always found the DDT Ironman title amusing... on paper. A pork chop was the champion because it pinned the previous champion... a plate of rice. That takes things down to a macro level of surrealness that I hope WWE never goes near. I hope they stay away from the inanimate object stuff.

I do however think we'll get Nattie Niedhart's cat as a champion at some point.

I hope they setup the rule as any living thing can win to make sure inanimate objects can’t win. So later down the line a robot can “win” it, but an official who didn’t count the pin will rule that robots are inanimate objects, and can’t win, so therefore the robots pin didn’t count. The robot then will be like “How dare you! I am alive dammit!”, the wrestlers who were all chasing after the belt will even stop, and argue on the robots behalf that his win should count. Now everybody is pissed, and it becomes a big controversy within the company that goes on for months in court. Finally the court rules in the robots favor that he is a living thing, and every WWE superstar comes out to celebrate this great moment in human history. Not only has a robot been accepted as a living thing, but he’s now the first mechanical being to become a wrestling champion. Then R-Truth comes up from behind, and rolls his ass up to end the robots reign.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 1