DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Makeover: BAND EDITION

AxB

For bands or artists who had a sudden drastic change of image, sound, or both. Like this:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm too lazy to pull videos right now, but Sugar Ray is the definition of this thread.

Incubus

I still like everything Incubus did up to and including S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Everything since is boring and soulless.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Incubus

I still like everything Incubus did up to and including S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Everything since is boring and soulless.

Morning View is an almost perfect album and I won't hear any different.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Incubus

Incubus went from being a genre bending slightly experimental rock band to being a fairly straightforward rock band.

Sugar Ray went from being hardcore punk to bubble gum pop.

23 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm too lazy to pull videos right now, but Sugar Ray is the definition of this thread.

"Mean Machine" came on the radio when I was 14 and I fucking loved it. Eventually acquired the album, told all my friends how awesome they were, they humored me but never really gave them a listen. Years later, a bunch of us are at one particular friend's house and he's flipping through the channels, passes MTV and I recognize Sugar Ray and implore him to go back. The video was for "Fly" and I was completely confounded, while my friends practically said on unison, "You like this crap?"

Yeah, that was a bummer. 

Anyway, to contribute...

RHCP really changed pretty gradually. It's a huge jump from their late 80's stuff to their more recent, but it all makes sense if you listen in order or whatever.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:36 PM, christopher.annino said:

Anyway, to contribute...

Then they sold out in 2003 with Antenna. I like the album, but goddamn it's just not the same thing as their previous stuff.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Then they sold out in 2003 with Antenna. I like the album, but goddamn it's just not the same thing as their previous stuff.

Sold out? Come on.  ? I know people who were saying they sold out when they made Jupiter. 

They signed to a major label and wrote some songs that aren't really all that far off from Brain Candle. They got a Foo Fighters tour out of the deal and that's really about it. 

That band was constantly evolving and I'm willing to bet that they would have made a record with more crossover appeal even if they hadn't signed with RCA. That said, they probably would've been better off in the long run staying in the Jupiter lane and being on a label that actually gave a damn about them, major or indie. 

Either way, that record smokes. Youth Overrided is the goddamn jam. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

RHCP going from sock punks to mustache dads is a perfectly straight, 45-degree line who's exact midpoint is the "I know I know for sure / Ding dang dong dong ding dang dong dong ding dang" verse.

I think I'd say that One Hot Minute was the inflection point, but you present a very convincing argument.

Kid Rock is a good choice for this as well. Early 90's straightforward hip-hop morphing album by album into the rap-rock sound that made him a huge star and then his continued evolution into a radio rock guy, and now whatever fake country bullshit he is pushing out.

I haven't ever really liked any of his shit, but his music up through "Devil Without A Cause" always at least seemed genuine to me.

On 5/21/2019 at 1:39 AM, Ace said:

Remember when Bad Religion was a prog band?

I try to forget about Into the Unknown ever happening. "How Can Hell Be Any Worse?" was an awesome debut album and Bad Religion made the right call going back to punk with the "Back to the Known" ep.

On 5/21/2019 at 3:19 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Incubus went from being a genre bending slightly experimental rock band to being a fairly straightforward rock band.

Fairly straightforward rock band or not, Incubus became completely boring. I agree with you about Sugar Ray, however.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On 5/21/2019 at 7:04 PM, AxB said:

Sometimes, it's an improvement. Like this:

Your taste may vary, obviously.

I'll take "Just Can't Get Enough" over "One Caress". I'd also like to add more industrial, really dark DM during Dave Gahan's period of suicide attempts and heroin addiction.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie