DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

If I worked for MLW and wanted out, I'd try to corner Jim Cornette somewhere and badger him about his favorite topics: Vince Russo, Eric Bischoff, Kevin Dunn, Vince McMahon, Sami Callihan, Joey Ryan, Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, etc.

That or I find out if Court Bauer is a Seinfeld fan. If he's not, I endlessly email him youtube clips that I can tie into anything he's said.

• Haha 2

If my memory is correct, during the OG MLW run Court was prone to the odd meltdown online.  I can’t remember if it was RSPW or somewhere else, but he would come on and defend his shows from time to time.

Glad to see Tony back, he definitely made the show feel big time. I liked Cornette but he brought more of a carny feel to the show.

Edited by Ultimo Necro
  • Like 1

The card for this weekend's episode.

• Tom Lawlor / Von Erichs vs. CONTRA Unit 
  • Richard Holliday vs. Teddy Hart
  • Low-Ki in competition
  • Jordan Oliver in competition.

I can't believe that CONTRA will job just yet in this angle, but I also don't think you can afford to book the Von Erichs soft in their debut match.   I'll be interesting to see how this goes.  I predict Double DQ / Pier Six / Pull Apart Brawl / OH MY GOD~!  WE'RE OUT OF TIME~!

It will also be interesting to see how they book Holliday / Hart.   If Holliday wins, then he does what MJF couldn't and you build the dissent angle for when MJF departs to AEW.  I can't seem them booking Teddy to lose to Hollday clean.  If Hollday wins, it will be via cheating, but will it be MJF or Hammerstone that tips the scales.

Low-Ki dominance blah blah blah I may be able to skip that match.

Albino stick figure, Jordan Oliver, will also see action.  I'm wondering if he will work Kotto Brazil, since Kotto needs to get some getback after Ricky Martinez helped Oliver get that win via chicanery?

I guess we'll see what happens SATURDAY NIGHT ON BEIN SPORTS~!!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

People want Contra to add members, so they can do 5 vs 5 Wargames, yeah? Von Erichs heel turn, 5 on 1 beat down. You know it makes sense.

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

People want Contra to add members, so they can do 5 vs 5 Wargames, yeah? Von Erichs heel turn, 5 on 1 beat down. You know it makes sense.

That's a helluva idea.  But do you let them be faces for a bit before the turn or just have them do that ASAP?  This is assuming they have time though I don't know when the Wargames match is.

I'd pair up Contra and Promociones Dorado for War Ensemble since I think it will turn out Selina de la Renta is financing Contra Unit. I think the match is called War Chamber, but I'm going with War Ensemble in honor of the almighty Slayer and their farewell tour. 

I'd have Contra, LA PARK, El Hijo de LA PARK vs. Tom Lawlor, Von Erichs, Low Ki, Mance Warner.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

17 hours ago, AxB said:

This interferes with my dream of Lance and Jacob getting together to form the NEW SST so no.

You know deep in your heart that you want to see the heel version of this.

Edited by J.T.

Contra Unit are supposed to be terrorists, yeah? But they're clearly not terrorists united by one common creed because while Sammael is doing the Sheikh pointy boots and fireballs deal, Jacob Fatu is Samoan Gangsta and Simon Gotch is... whatever Simon Gotch is supposed to be. So it makes perfect sense for the Von Erichs to join, so long as they return to the family's Wrestling roots and become Nazis.

Actually, never mind. Terrible idea. If it turns out they're just mercenaries after all, that's probably better.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:57 AM, AxB said:

Contra Unit are supposed to be terrorists, yeah? But they're clearly not terrorists united by one common creed because while Sammael is doing the Sheikh pointy boots and fireballs deal, Jacob Fatu is Samoan Gangsta and Simon Gotch is... whatever Simon Gotch is supposed to be. So it makes perfect sense for the Von Erichs to join, so long as they return to the family's Wrestling roots and become Nazis.

Actually, never mind. Terrible idea. If it turns out they're just mercenaries after all, that's probably better.

They're global dealers in violence.

MLW certainly deserves a thread.  They're presenting a solid product and their youtube accessibility is making it easy to see it week to week.  A lot of hit and miss, but the direction is fairly solid, and seems like they're giving talent a platform to perform with artistic freedom.  That said, they desperately need some good agents to help lay out these matches. 

The Low Ki-Ricky Martinez knock out was ridiculous.  Really, that's what knocks him out?  It might've worked if Martinez had sold the clothesline more effectively?  Not sure the point of a KO when the guy isn't stretchered or helped to the back.  Selina de la Renta has presence, and potential, but I feel like I'm watching a bad actor in a bad movie when she's on screen. Reminds me why I don't watch the Titan Sports product. 

Flamita-Horus both are very athletic and have potential, but this had a lot of numbskull moments.  I'm really not sure they were aware they were supposed to beat the other up.  The rash of who the hell is even on the bump-take spots is mind boggling.  So dumb.  

Callihan-Mance Warner had some real useless unsold big spots.  The most ridiculous of these spots: Callihan second rope piledriver thru a table (!!!), quickly (?) covers for two!?  The spot was completely wasted.  I loved the Callihan-Cornette moment to start, and I am of the belief that Mance Warner is going to be a big name in the rasslin' bidness.  He's got presence and he's already fairly crisp.  I look forward to seeing where his talents takes him.      

Very curious to see the Von Erichs.  Tom Lawlor is a capable promo, but like all of the MLW roster - so many of the promos are 'intense' and 'angry' and unconvincing.  Ease back and just show some character.  

I find myself frustrated with a lot of what happens on MLW TV, but I appreciate the effort .  They have a really neat roster with a lot of potential.  Certainly ahead of what I've seen from the weak Ring of Honor and Impact TV products.        

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The whole thing screams work. 

Sami has a carefully cultivated reputation as a reckless moron, so of course it could be true. But I'm not buying it. 

I do, he IS a reckless moron.

On 6/21/2019 at 5:55 PM, J.T. said:

The card for this weekend's episode.

• Tom Lawlor / Von Erichs vs. CONTRA Unit 
  • Richard Holliday vs. Teddy Hart
  • Low-Ki in competition
  • Jordan Oliver in competition.

When did Jimmy Havoc join Promociones Dorado? As it turns out, two match show. But they were two nice matches . Jordan Oliver looking smooth as hell, especially for being green and still a teenager in his match. If he's joining Swann & Reed, that'd probably do him some good. And with them apparently putting the entire roster into teams of three, hopefully we've got some sort of trios tournament coming up at some point. Holliday vs Hart being an angle instead of a match was disappointing, but it's part of a build. Low Ki's match being a one move squash, sucks for the guy who lost, but if you want to establish that now Ki is an insta-killer, mission accomplished.

But the main, and the post main, that was great. This is what MLW's good at. Out of control chaos. Clean loss, but took absolutely nothing away from the losers, because there was so much ass kicking afterwards. Von Erichs seem to have improved since last time I saw them, too.

• Like 3