DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

8 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I went to the MLW card at the 2300 Arena this past Saturday. It was a long ass TV taping but well run. Strong Hearts, Injustice and (of course) Contra Unit really showed me a lot. Everyone was over.

- RAF

I'm bummed I didn't know they were doing 2300 Arena.  I would have found a way to get a ticket and go if I knew.  I'm sure they'll go back there so I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

12 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I went to the MLW card at the 2300 Arena this past Saturday. It was a long ass TV taping but well run. Strong Hearts, Injustice and (of course) Contra Unit really showed me a lot. Everyone was over.

- RAF

How was Kross vs Lawlor?

Good. I am not sold on KK - great look, but he does the RW Hawk/Animal "no sell a big move" altogether too many times during a match to get over for my taste. I like Lawlor: very hateable and not afraid to chickenshit it up; he carried the match. Team Filthy needs a heavy hitter, too many stooges now. The match was really to set up the eight man tag (v. Von Erichs, Davey Jr & KK).

- RAF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, alstein said:

and Thatcher just signed with WWE, so there's one more guy raided from MLW.  This is what I think is going to happen to MLW- all their guys are going to be snatched up by companies that pay, leaving only green talent , total headcases, and DBS Jr.

Glass Half Full is that it turns into a proving ground / scouting area where guys on the verge of stardom come to get ring time and exposure and working with DG and AAA guys would also be a plus.

PWInsider.com can exclusively confirm that Major League Wrestling has had talks with Amazon in recent weeks discussing the potential of bringing MLW programming to their Amazon Prime streaming service.  Amazon has made it a priority to acquire live programming rights and are even said to be in the mix for NFL rights. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Casey said:

PWInsider.com can exclusively confirm that Major League Wrestling has had talks with Amazon in recent weeks discussing the potential of bringing MLW programming to their Amazon Prime streaming service.  Amazon has made it a priority to acquire live programming rights and are even said to be in the mix for NFL rights. 

As long as Amazon keeps the delayed show release schedule on YouTube I'll be happy, but there is cause for concern since YouTube is technically a competitor to Amazon.

Edited by J.T.

Garrini / Zenshi was a better match than I expected it to be.  Classic contrast in styles match with Zenshi getting to show off and clown Garrini a bit, but not so much as to expose the poor green bastard.  Finish made Garrini look like a killer, so mission accomplished for poor Zenshi.

Jesus Christ. The tickets for MLW Intimidation Games are ten bucks.  I think I paid ten bucks in '97 for the NWA Virginia show I went to at the Blackwell Civic Center.

The Dynasty producing a future MLW television taping just remind me how much I miss Selena.  At least Septimo Dragon and Aerostar will be on the card and the VE's will defend the tag titles.

Can Savio Vega please get a fucking win, please?   Dude comes in with a title belt and then puts Richard Holiday over clean.  For some reason, that really bothers me especially when Holliday leaves with the man's title.

LA PARK RETURNS SOON~!

Alicia's expression when Mance hands her a beer is the best.

Pillman vs. Fatu was fucking great.  Pillman finally ditched those ugly half-tights for some proper tiger-striped trunks like his dad wore.  Fatu having to rely on Injustice's chicanery to get a win just makes Pillman look like a billion dollars.  I will be sad when Pillman inevitably bounces to AEW or NXT.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey speaking of Mexico vs. PR we need Savio vs. Park. Fat Old Guys War! 

That will just make me sad.  LA PARK is one of the most protected workers in MLW, so that just means that poor Savio will job yet again.

Edited by J.T.

Catching up but still behind. The Opera Cup finals episode aired without commentary (in the UK), but didn't suffer for it. Davey Boy jr has this Wierd inability to express intensity in any way. Getting to the bit of the match when they should have been ratcheting things up and showing desperation, and he seemed no more invested than he had in the opening moments. Pillman's expressions and body language were far better.

I watched Havoc vs Mancer Barbed Wire on YouTube because the TV version cut like five minutes out (and it only went 12). Boccini said if you've watched wrestling in the last 20 years you'll remember Sabu vs, and I thought he was going to say Abyss, but he said Terry Funk and that was way more than 20 years ago. 

In terms of young guys who really play their characters well, Jordan Oliver is up there with MJF. He'll be off to the big leagues pretty quickly, like Jacob Fatu and Flying Brian jr.

Garrini looks like Mikey Whipwreck without the training. Boy they didn't know what the hell they were doing with each other. 

The Sentai Death Squad ARE Ninjas! I knew it! 

MJF's dude came through with some really good coke for that interview. Holliday seriously did not deserve to win but at least Savio beat on him good. 

The Pillman match was his best one yet and better than the Cup final even I think. He doesn't work as fast as he needs to but he's putting it together. Strikes looked nice and heavy. 

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

Zenshi didn't sound very Chilean but I'm glad he got to talk.

is Zenshi a Chilean in the Gus Fring sense?

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Garrini looks like Mikey Whipwreck without the training

i've typed this before but Garrini looks like Storage Wars Dave Hester.

Edited by Cobra Commander

Add Mance Warner to the list of MLW performers who are likely to be off to a bigger stage soon. Just watched him on Bizarro Lucha tonight, and MLW really isn't doing a good job of showing his charisma. He had the whole room practically molten just from walking through the curtain, let alone from the match. But more than that, any time he had the microphone in his hand, they were just eating up every word. You don't get a fraction of that from watching him on MLW Fusion.

8 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

was more of a thing about how Giancarlo Esposito's Spanish always sucked while on Breaking Bad and how actual Chileans sniffed out that quick

Funny because I was watching Breaking Bad all night when I wasn't catching up on wrestling. I wonder if Steven Bauer speaks it fluently because they had a lot of conversation in the one episode he was featured. 

Steven Bauer was born in Havana and raised in Miami. So I'd imagine he was one of the best Spanish speakers on that show. But with complaints from people who notice the difference between Cubans and Mexicans speaking Spanish.

I think Garrini is the second most prominent Between the Sheets guest (because IIRC, Janela was on there like a year or two ago). The new BTS episode has Garrini on there for a "non-WWF/WCW/ECW" episode.

So they have both member of Violence Is Forever (Ku and Dom Garrini)? Cool. They were getting a bit light on tag teams, with the Hart Foundation being down to two members who are both singles wrestlers now.