DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

Lindaman is a lil' hoss, that deadlift Tiger suplex was sick. Also liked the two of them using misdirection on each other, and Zenshi's beautiful La Magistral. That's how you do a short match. 

Josef Samael immediately gets brownie points for referencing Katmandu and the mountains of Siberia and thus stealing from the classic Billy Graham promo where he's on the river bottom: 

Meanwhile Kross saying "You're all in BIG trouble" to Team Stinky makes him come off like an angry middle school teacher haha. Garrini getting headbutted in the jaw by DBS and suplexed by Kross was the highlight of the eight man tag. "Rip Von Erich" deserved that powerbomb after totally flubbing the Curt Hennig rolling neckbreaker. 

Someone get Park his salt you gringo pendejos! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Lindaman is a lil' hoss, that deadlift Tiger suplex was sick. Also liked the two of them using misdirection on each other, and Zenshi's beautiful La Magistral. That's how you do a short match. 

Josef Samael immediately gets brownie points for referencing Katmandu and the mountains of Siberia and thus stealing from the classic Billy Graham promo where he's on the river bottom: 

Meanwhile Kross saying "You're all in BIG trouble" to Team Stinky makes him come off like an angry middle school teacher haha. Garrini getting headbutted in the jaw by DBS and suplexed by Kross was the highlight of the eight man tag. "Rip Von Erich" deserved that powerbomb after totally flubbing the Curt Hennig rolling neckbreaker. 

Someone get Park his salt you gringo pendejos! 

I always thought that promo by Superstar was fucking BOSS. 

• Like 1

Dan Lambert might be the second best micworker of the Team Filthy+American Top Team fusion stable.

Ki vs Mo was sort of an unique match structure built around King Mo throwing Low Ki out of the ring and some leg work as a result of that. Also, a bit of a bullshit ending (which wasn't a shocker) that may have involved somebody missing a time cue.

Edited by Cobra Commander

Dominic Garrini looks like the chubby, dopey kid in school who gets picked on by bullies so much that it leads to a The-More-You-Know type PSA on local television. He has zero aura of intimidation to me. 

I was slightly uneasy with the whole "Pillman hasn't shown up to the arena and no one can get ahold of him" deal considering how his father died. But that might just be me. 

• Like 1

if you put a curly hair wig on Garrini then he's Dustin from Stranger things (the Dave Hester comp i've made is better but some of you didn't spend as much time watching Storage Wars as I did)

But yeah, there's a little bit of "he learned martial arts to defend himself from bullies" there too

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

God, can we get umbrellas the fuck out of wrestling please?

There's only one man in wrestling that should be able to carry an umbrella with him...because it fits his fucking gimmick!

Woop Woop

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

That era of WCW is a blind spot for me.

I mainly can't stand it being used in any other spot than a manager tripping someone with a cane handle like Fuji.

Didn't like Jack Gallagher's comedy stuff and definitely don't like it being used as a weapon to hit someone over the head with the expectation of selling.

On 3/28/2020 at 8:40 PM, Peck said:

I was slightly uneasy with the whole "Pillman hasn't shown up to the arena and no one can get ahold of him" deal considering how his father died. But that might just be me. 

Did they really say that?  Holy fuck that's an incredibly asinine thing to say.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Did they really say that?  Holy fuck that's an incredibly asinine thing to say.

They spent the whole show building it up saying no one could find him/get ahold of him, etc. They even said they called Davey Jr. who was out of the country on a tour to see if he had heard from Pillman, which he hadn't. Of course, at the end of the show it was revealed he was attacked in the parking lot but I couldn't help but think of his dad throughout the hour.

• Thanks 1

MLW was really smart in cutting out the whole middle of that Low Ki/King Mo fight because that looked to be straight garbage. Mo can't wrestle. At all. 

Lots of really fun ways to deal with the virus and people leaving and lack of taping here, and the #1 and the best is the Empty Arena match. Someone finally did it and just let two guys brawl and knock over chairs and talk shit like the original. The Dynasty giving MJF a pre-match rubdown, then getting beat up by Savio was great, then MJF calling for a taxi with Mancer telling them they weren't necessary was even better. Hopefully sometime down the line we'll be able to look back at this and laugh. 

Douglas James is the exact kind of wrestler that every major organization needs to stay away from at this point. 

LOVED the kayfabe explanation of Killer Kross's departure.

Don't like MJF babyfacing in his promo, but he's on the way out so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Mancer is a star. AEW needs to pick him up before WWE starts paying him to sit at home.

Oh man, I loved that MJF promo.  I know it was a sort of face promo but I thought it got over the psychopath point over more.

The Douglas James/Septimo Dragon match was quality.

I can't believe after eleven weeks we are finally leaving Philadelphia.  It was like a Bunuel movie for a few weeks there.

Believe you me, living in Philly often feels like a Bunuel cinema, and more than a bit of Fassbinder as well. Have you seen the parade of chromosome damaged grotesqueries that make up the wrestling fans around here?

215! 215! 215!,

RAF

p.s. a bit of "Even Dwarfs Started Small"-era Herzog as well.

• Like 1

It didn't feel like a face promo as much as it did a badass heel promo.  Beating up a wimpy MJF doesn't get Mance as over as beating up a tough , desperate MJF.  

Also, hasn't Mance already been  backstage at an event this year?   I'd be just fine with MLW becoming AEW's developmental.

Mancer does feel like the next top indy guy likely to get signed somewhere. And hopefully it's not WWE, because in NXT he's probably getting Forgotten Son'd (although I think Vince might actually like him for a main roster spot). Whereas I can see that Cody and TK might look at Mance and see dollar signs there.

Re: MJF, I was specifically talking about the "kids picked on me because I'm Jewish" part - that doesn't make him look tough or wimpy, it makes him look sympathetic. I don't have an issue with him cutting a fiery promo, I just thought it was a weird choice - we aren't supposed to be rooting for the heel to overcome the odds, especially when it's MJF finally getting his comeuppance for being a prick with the Dynasty for forever.