DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

On 2/16/2020 at 2:07 PM, DEAN said:

Oh man, the main event was awesome.  Richard Holiday is the secret superworker of MLW.

I was more impressed with the ref's enforcement of fake rules.  Checking every man's shoulders and then choosing not to initiate a ten count since Ross's shoulders were not down was Number One And The Best.

Erick Stevens looked okay. Before Michael Elgin became a thing, he was the Michael Elgin of the indies. Technically an excellent performer, but lacked the personality to be pushed over his contemporaries at the time. That guy he was in the ring with looked, and wrestled like Davey Richards. If you suffer PTSD while watching Davey matches, then skip it.

King Mo against Dax was that old mid-90’s WCW squash against big ass jobbers you don’t see anymore. Still was somehow disappointing. King Mo basically got in a fluke choke to beat him early. I would’ve preferred if he got some impressive strength spots in there from Mo before he got the win. Maybe they just didn’t trust the jobber to fuck it up?

“Filthy” Tom is so much better as a heel. I have no idea why Court made him the top babyface of the promotion at one point. He’s too much of a little shit to be anything else(even with the legit MMA background).

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Moonshine Mantell vs. Logan Creed was awesome! I wish we had five more minutes of that. Hopefully Mantell doesn't end up staying in the job position because he threw some fire at Creed, and dude can sell like a motherfucker too. Logan isn't afraid to dive right on his shoulder either. 

Erick Stevens really needs some different music. Ugh. Douglas James has a great match with him, Stevens playing the methodical heel and James working at 2x speed to try and foil him, until they pick up the stiffness and decide to potato each other for the duration. Man that was a hell of a match. Two heels they're trying to push with underdog guys bringing it in a row, you don't see that often. 

THEN, the main event with Ross wrestling like his dad and Filthy Tom being a perfect old school dirtbag heel, the only thing that was missing was torching the flag after it got thrown in the trash. King Mo only goes a minute, Dynasty were funny, Jordan Oliver gets to do his J-Roc impersonation? Yeah, this was the best wrestling show of the week. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Godfrey said:

I came her to say I dug Moonshine too. First time seeing him, where's he been at? Logan Creed has potential based on size alone but woof, he needs a makeover.

Moonshine has mostly been working East TX based indies like VIP. BIW used him for a few years on their shows in LA and MS. Really nice guy that gets over with the crowds. I will look in a bit and see what of his matches I have filmed and uploaded.

• Like 1

Caught up.

It stood out to me during Logan Creed's entrance just how little they were doing to make him look like a giant. They shot him from straight ahead, from the shoulders up, then abruptly switched to his promo where they correctly shot him from below. It was jarring.

Debuting Erick Stevens to go 10 minutes with an Indy CAW is not a good way to make him look strong. If he was just going to show up in the main event, why not just debut him that way?

This show always has good, natural ways to get a bunch of people face time within the hour and push storylines forward. It's something that a show like NXT could learn a lot from.

• Like 1

I can't believe how much smaller Erick Stevens is now compared to his ROH/FIP days. He was probably around 260 back then. Now, he's probably about the same size as Tomasso Ciampa. Regardless, it's cool to see him wrestling again. I loved his feud with Roderick Strong over the FIP title.

• Like 1

He's not sticking around, Erick Stevens. He's re-retiring Mania weekend. Says he probably only has single figures of matches left.

Shame, because he's got a ton left in the tank.

Man, this weeks episode felt just like 1995 ECW.  That was fun.  I loved the Injustice spotfest.   it seemed like they had Konan do two angles for two different episodes but then they were like "ah fuck it", we'll just run it all together.  I'm glad that secret wrestling machine Richard Holliday still has the Caribbean belt.  Kotto Brazille is your underrated heat machine.

The main event was very ECW- an old veteran (L A PARK) carries a match against two Heyman Creations (Contra Squad).  

• Like 2

I turned the channel back and saw Konnan still talking with a whole different set of wrestlers in the ring and was like "no match yet?" 

Is Park's finish typically that twisting dive nowadays? It works in an old fat guy out of control way. The lumberjack match only having guys on two sides of the ring was pretty sad. 

Also, Holliday being the mouthpiece for Dynasty made me think they'll be just fine without MJF. "Consumers" is a good catchphrase for such a smarmy asshole.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I turned the channel back and saw Konnan still talking with a whole different set of wrestlers in the ring and was like "no match yet?" 

Is Park's finish typically that twisting dive nowadays? It works in an old fat guy out of control way. The lumberjack match only having guys on two sides of the ring was pretty sad. 

Park breaks out the twisting tope every now and again but he's been mostly killing guys with that glorious running spear.