DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

Pillman having his left arm/shoulder injured then grabbing his right arm while laying on the floor was funny. Oops. Some fan of his too waiting to ambush him at the door for an autograph and then just filming the whole beatdown. lol That was pretty bush league.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/showtime-reportedly-interested-in-mlw/

Showtime Reportedly Interested In MLW

It was previously reported that there had been talks of a new partnership for MLW, with Court Bauer allegedly meeting with TV networks. Wrestling Increports that premium cable channel Showtime is interested in acquiring MLW programming, which would be the first time wrestling has aired there. Showtime reportedly had interest in AEW last year before it went to TNT. 

MLW was founded by Bauer, a former WWE producer, in 2002. It came back in 2011 as a radio network before relaunching as a wrestling promotion in 2017. A deal with beIN Sports was made in 2018 and it began to air on Saturday nights. They also have a deal with FITE TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doghouse Reilly said:

While I like the idea of somebody giving Court and MLW a cash influx, I hope that it wouldn't be the end of their YouTube show. I'd (selfishly) hate to lose half my weekly wrestling fix.

Count on it if Showtime is serious about this.  No real network wants to give their shit away for free especially when they have their own on demand service

I used to have Showtime haven't had it since I cut the cord.  I love MLW and enjoy their show but if Showtime's the only way to see it then I may unfortunately have to stop watching them.  But it's also interesting to see how that would pan out because going off Youtube would potentially hurt their exposure for quite awhile.

Now if they incorporate Desus and Mero into the shows then at that point I'll gladly add in Showtime.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I used to have Showtime haven't had it since I cut the cord.  I love MLW and enjoy their show but if Showtime's the only way to see it then I may unfortunately have to stop watching them.  But it's also interesting to see how that would pan out because going off Youtube would potentially hurt their exposure for quite awhile.

Now if they incorporate Desus and Mero into the shows then at that point I'll gladly add in Showtime.

They could do a Feature where Desus and Mero do alternate Commentary for the whole show like UFC did with Snoop. 

• Like 2

Eh... I kind of doubt it. I could see Corgan not wanting to give up control over the product by partnering with Showtime. Right now he clearly has his own vision and plan for where the NWA is going. If Showtime is looking at getting into wrestling, I'd think they'd be thrilled to partner up with ROCKSTAR VISONARY MOGUL *BILLY CORGAN* (or whatever the press release would say) over an unknown like Court despite any relatively minor controversy Corny stirred up. I think the appeal of MLW to them would be their slant towards MMA-style workers and mmmaybe their lucha connections (they might have some demographic research showing some market potential).

Or maybe some exec at Showtime just really wants to bang Salina de la Renta. Let's face it, media deals have been made over less.

• Like 1

Corgan is looking for a TV partner since the current model isn't sustainable long term and would flip his wig to get on SHowtime.  William is a realist.  Smashing Pumpkins doesn't make enough money to defray the cost of this venture forever.  I don't think anyone looks at Corgan as a visionary rockstar mogul.  I think they look at him like a guy that looks like Uncle Fester that hasn't had a hit in 20 years that got played like a mark for over a million dollars by Dixie Fucking Carter

Edited by Serious Darius Bagfelt
  • Like 1

From what I have read the deal with BEiN Sports is good thru 2022. So I hope the show keeps airing on BEiN,cause I do not get SHowtime currently. Plus MLW is usually the best hour of wrestling each week.

Sucks if MLW gets removed from Youtube.Pretty much everyone I know that watches it sees it on Youtube. Oddly I never hear anyone mention watching it on FITE.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 11:39 PM, Doghouse Reilly said:

While I like the idea of somebody giving Court and MLW a cash influx, I hope that it wouldn't be the end of their YouTube show. I'd (selfishly) hate to lose half my weekly wrestling fix.

Yes, this would be terrible.  I'd like to see the YouTube content remain intact with the same weekly update schedule.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if maybe the Showtime deal wouldn't be for a weekly show but maybe a place where they are putting the type of specials that are currently FITE.tv PPV's. Like a Saturday night at 10PM two-hour MLW special once a month with some sort of blood and guts match with Contra Unit seems like it could potentially be a good fit. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 1:57 AM, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Corgan is looking for a TV partner since the current model isn't sustainable long term and would flip his wig to get on SHowtime.  William is a realist.  Smashing Pumpkins doesn't make enough money to defray the cost of this venture forever.  I don't think anyone looks at Corgan as a visionary rockstar mogul.  I think they look at him like a guy that looks like Uncle Fester that hasn't had a hit in 20 years that got played like a mark for over a million dollars by Dixie Fucking Carter

I don't know how much money Corgan has, or what the line is or isn't on what he's willing to throw down the black hole of running a wrestling promotion. What's the old joke? "What's the best way to become a millionaire? Be a billionaire and start a wrestling promotion." I do believe he'd wait until he got the most favorable deal he could get if he's serious about the NWA's long term prospects, both as a businessman and as a fan. Otherwise he'd be flailing from one minor cable channel to another like Impact was for awhile. If anything, the Dixie ripoff probably made him more resistant to jumping into business with anyone else without some serious contract protection. Or maybe he'd shank his mother to be on Showtime at 2 AM on a Sunday. I dunno, I'm just speculating.

I'm not saying I think Billy Corgan is or isn't a Visionary Rockstar etc. etc., but Showtime sure as hell would rather have his name on a press release as a partner to Variety or USA Today than they would Court Bauer, just on the name recognition. I mean, I don't think Billy Corgan is a household brand name, but I'd bet you "Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins" rings a few more bells with John Q. Public than "Court Bauer" does, and consequently would get more publicity in marketing the product. I imagine that matters more to a Showtime executive who doesn't know anything about professional wrestling outside of maybe recognizing that Hulk Hogan fella. Or maybe there's just a huge Contra Unit mark in charge of programming at Showtime who wants to be their new manager. Could happen, I suppose. 

Anyway, yay more wrestling on real cable networks! I hope Court gets a great deal and runs a million MLW shows on Showtime. I also want it to be cross-promoted with a fourth season of Twin Peaks. Samael would make a great Black Lodge entity.

• Like 1

They'd be perfect for Showtime, I hope they do get on that Channel and I think they'll gain alot of new fans that have that Channel already. I think it would be cool tv have Wrestling on a Premium Channel like that. Imagine ECW on HBO or Showtime in the late 90s.

I think it wont be too long before Corgan gets NWA on someone's tv, both NWA and MLW have done great with being on YouTube. NWA has created enough buzz among the Wrestling fans for the past few years. There is still other channels that would probably want to get in the Wrestling market right now and NWA would definitely be appealing to a network want to get on board with having Wrestling on. I'm loving how all these networks are open to have Wrestling apart of their programming especially non WWE. I just hope all these companies to do well enough to where they don't mind investing in their success. Imagine if it was like this 10 to 15 or so years ago. TNA ruined it f anyone else even bothering with pro Wrestling.

Well, I thought Lindaman was gonna be more of a flippy-do wrestler since he was a CIMA boy, but he seems pretty basic aside from one Hirooki Goto-esque complicated slam move. Reed does a couple of cutters, hits his 450 and we call it a match. I'm sick of stunners but this was fine. Injustice are still perfectly irritating. 

Dynasty say they're gonna chug their champagne and then don't. Party foul! It looked like they were drinking apple juice because there damn sure weren't any bubbles in those glasses. Savio is here to defend the honor of Konnan, which probably isn't worth it. His spinning heel kick still looks good. Medina's finish is a gamengiri? Kind of weak. 

They announce the Opera Cup Tourney is gonna be annual now. Man does announcer dude need to get rid of that mustache. Pillman's trunks are cool with the doves, the Horseman "4H" symbol and "Promised Prince" on the ass in metal font looking like the Deranged logo. Being face vs. face and partner vs. partner I'm sure this isn't easy to work (and neither guy is Bret Hart, though I'm sure his son is more capable right now than Bulldog was in their big face/partner match). To their benefit DBS kicks like a mule and Pillman is great at emoting. Aside from some rollups and a moment after that Pillman never really gets any traction. Davey's flying headbutt does not look good. Finally he gets it with the crossface and thankfully we don't get Pillman turning on him. This result should have been expected since the Cup was in the family; he would have had a WAY better match with Thatcher though. This just didn't have enough heat to get it all the way off the ground. Good work by the commentators btw. 

Man, I try to get into MLW, but as hard as the booking tries, there is just no making up for how sub-par the in-ring mostly is.  This Davey Boy push has done nothing but prove why New Japan was correct to never get behind him as a singles guy.  He has everything you want in a pro wrestler except the ability to be interesting.  The crowd for the Opera Cup final really wanted to get into Pillman Jr. (who is tremendously green and not that good either) but Davey just methodically sucked the life out of them for 15 minutes.  They built to that final for a month, and it had zero heat for the home stretch.  If they do anything after this besides feed him to Fatu and wash their hands of this push, they have fucked up.