DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

Playing catch-up with the episodes

- War Chamber was a blast! It was smart to do that in Houston because they got a great reaction for the Von Erichs; Kevin even getting to put the claw on was great. They came up with a great finish for this. MVP had to be Samael though, he was the only one to blade and if anything's important in a freakin War Games it's that (and the heels getting the coin flip of course). 

- Jimmy Havoc's Slaughterhouse was a Tijuana Crash taping with a wild Crash faction six-man to open (one crazy spot had a guy launched backwards from midair with the back of his neck smacking the bottom rope), a mean brawl outside a building somewhere between Hijo del PARK and Samael, and Savio, Damien 666, and Jimmy in a Tijuana death match. One of the announcers not knowing how to pronounced "macabre" or "depraved" is pretty funny. Match is just a bunch of weapons crap but Savio does his best to make it fun with his kendo stick magic, using dual trash can lids, etc. Jimmy Havoc is useless.

- Hey, Tony is back. He's great calling Thatcher/DBS, digging into the psychology of the mat wrestling. If JR ever has to take a leave and they go with a two-man booth for AEW he'll step up bigtime. Of course both guys wrestle a beautiful match with an instant tapout finish which I always love to see. Having that as the last thing I watched in the year was a nice capper to what was for me personally a pretty shitty year. Not wrestling-wise though, at least...

I would so buy the fucking Dr. Wagner BIEN BIEN BIEN shirt they're selling. That's up there with the "Chainsaw Mancer Massacre" one. 

Having that pitiful gas station fight as one of the craziest moments of the year is WAY stupid. The top one being the combo of a fireball thrown at a ref and a bloody fat luchador spearing a tiny woman through a table is pretty choice though. Which is a preface to the main,  a replay of that very match, which will be my first of the year! Thanks, MLW! 

• Like 1

I missed the DBS Jr/Thatcher match the first time around. I'm so glad they re-ran it as it was just some fantastic heavyweight grappling. I love Thatcher's style of work, and Davey was totally game for it. Thatcher's angry monster faces would look goofy on anyone else, but that fucked up grill of his makes them work. Everything else just looked like two dudes trying to outwrestle the other guy and get a victory, and it's so much more satisfying to watch than MOVEZ~!

NWA is doing the best booking right now, but MLW keeps pulling out great matches from a thin roster. I don't watch WWE, AEW, or RoH and feel like I get more than enough top-level US wrestling out of those two promotions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doghouse Reilly said:

I missed the DBS Jr/Thatcher match the first time around. I'm so glad they re-ran it as it was just some fantastic heavyweight grappling. I love Thatcher's style of work, and Davey was totally game for it. Thatcher's angry monster faces would look goofy on anyone else, but that fucked up grill of his makes them work. Everything else just looked like two dudes trying to outwrestle the other guy and get a victory, and it's so much more satisfying to watch than MOVEZ~!

NWA is doing the best booking right now, but MLW keeps pulling out great matches from a thin roster. I don't watch WWE, AEW, or RoH and feel like I get more than enough top-level US wrestling out of those two promotions. 

That's exactly the type of matches DBS Jr wants.   Why he hated being stuck with Yano so much in NJPW.  

• Like 1

Rip Von Erich might have the most amazing hair in MLW, which is impressive since Pillmanito (Pillman Jr)'s hair is also amazing.

Rip Von Erich could pass as Marko Stunt's big brother.

Also, the Claw-sleeper is actually a good concept for a finishing move somehow.

18 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Rip Von Erich could pass as Marko Stunt's big brother.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw him. For a minute there I thought he was on loan from AEW. 

They could have gotten someone even shorter to make it even more uneven. What's more heelish than beating up a little person? 

gonna need to do some science to figure out the maximum height difference possible in a match where the finish is a clawhold+sleeper. Which, really should be Lawlor's finish for this future. Maybe with a blowoff where one Von Erich has Lawlor in a sleeper and the other applies the claw.

Although when Rip hinted at applying the claw, I thought Lawlor was gonna make Von Erich put the claw on himself

Went ahead and rewatched the show because I was in my cups when it aired live. Tom had great heat and I forgot the Spirit Squad was still around. They'll work fine as part of Team Filthy. The DBS/Hammerstone match was good but it was overshadowed by the insufferable commentary by MJF. He is doing his job perfectly, but almost too good, to where you want to strangle him. The match itself had a lot of Benoit-isms from DBS which was kind of weird to see. I also think I've never seen anyone win a match with a diving headbutt. Contra/Stronghearts was a fun sprint that didn't deserve a commercial break in the middle of. We need to see more of Irie and whoever the 5'3" guy was, him giving a deadlift German to Fatu was a sight. 

Rip Von Erich is the new Gillberg.  What a great fucking squash.  Tom Lawlor has turned the corner in his career and will be a magnificent heel.

DBS and Hammerstone had about as good of a hoss vs hoss match that you can have aside from the bullshit safety first diving headbutt.  Either commit to the move even if it is a little risky or (better yet) don't do it at all.  Having Hammestone tap to the flash Crossface reversal of the Nightmare Pendulum would've been a perfectly fine finish and saved everyone from seeing that business exposing flying headbutt.

I think that this whole Opera Cup deal is prepping us for a Pillman Jr. heel turn although I pray he doesn't join #Injustice as The Dynasty is probably a better fit for him, gimmick wise.

There could be a double turn in the works if Hammerstone builds on his respect moment at the end of that Opera Cup match.  MLW is becoming face light so I think that may be a good move for him.  I'd even push Hammerstone as a future challenger to Fatu.

God, that #Stronghearts vs. CONTRA brawl was fucking great.   I probably would've ended that with a double count-out or double disqualification though as I wouldn't want the #Stronghearts to debut with a loss nor would I want CONTA to get beaten on normal television.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Matches for MLW Fusion, Ep #92

• Opera Cup Semi-Finals: Timothy Thatcher vs. Brian Pillman Jr.
  • World Tag Team Title Match: Ross & Marshall Von Erich vs. The Spirit Squad

Also some blah blah blah between Konnan and Gino Medina and more on #Injustice's threat to spoil the Opera Cup.

Episode premiers tomorrow, Jan 11th.

Edited by J.T.

Don't forget that the Von Erichs even come out to "Stranglehold". I highly doubt Uncle Ted is getting any money off that. 

Injustice hitting Pillman with the wet floor sign was inspired. Speaking of Pillman, boy does he need to work on his offense. I know he was selling injury but he really didn't look like he was gonna get anything done against Thatcher. Maybe Davey Boy can get something better out of him.