DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

I am sorta hoping that the LA Park thing is a work to push Selina's injury angle.

Teddy Hart? Eh... he kinda got what was coming to him.  I'm genuinely surprised he lasted for as long as he did.  I just hope that DBS Jr. and Pillman Jr. don't get lost in the implosion of HF 2.0. 

I could see DBS Jr. assuming the mantle of top babyface now that FTL is a heel while Pilllman Jr. maybe turns heel and hooks up with The Dynasty to (fingers crossed) replace MJF now that he's in AEW.

Pillman Jr. pulls off the spoiled entitled kid heel gimmick pretty well.  I think a run in The Dynasty would be good for him.  If I were Court, I'd even consider having Myron Reed drop the MW belt to Zenshi or Air Wolf and then transition it to Pillman Jr..  .

If MJF never showed up again in MLW, I think I could survive.

Edited by J.T.

15 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I am sorta hoping that the LA Park thing is a work to push Selina's injury angle.

Teddy Hart? Eh... he kinda got what was coming to him.  I'm genuinely surprised he lasted for as long as he did.  I just hope that DBS Jr. and Pillman Jr. don't get lost in the implosion of HF 2.0. 

I could see DBS Jr. assuming the mantle of top babyface now that FTL is a heel while Pilllman Jr. maybe turns heel and hooks up with The Dynasty to (fingers crossed) replace MJF now that he's in AEW.

Pillman Jr. pulls off the spoiled entitled kid heel gimmick pretty well.  I think a run in The Dynasty would be good for him.  If I were Court, I'd even consider having Myron Reed drop the MW belt to Zenshi or Air Wolf and then transition it to Pillman Jr..  .

If MJF never showed up again in MLW, I think I could survive.

They should have just put the middleweight belt on Aries at the ppv.

We've seen Pillman a few times in AEW. I think he eventually makes his way there as a F/T roster member. For now, I'd like to see Pillman continue to gain experience working MLW. DBS, Jr. would also make a good addition to AEW. Like Luchasaurus and Hager, he'll look like a monster compared to the majority of the roster. If the Inner Circle didn't exist, Jericho taking DBS, Jr. and Pillman, Jr. under his wing would make a pretty good trio.

• Like 3

I like everything AEW is doing with Jericho, but that idea sounds just as good. I do think Pillman Jr. needs more seasoning. DBS Jr. is fine though. That guy is ready for another shot at a big US promotion, whether it's WWE or AEW. Just maybe leave the Teddy Hart looking shirts and Akuma beads at home.

• Like 1

I don't think either of them end up in AEW.

I think DBS Jr does not like Kenny/Bucks all that much- he has a vision for pro wrestling, and he will stick to it.  Great guy , wish him all the best, got to meet him last weekend.

Pillman Jr- he seems to have some of his dad's bad traits as well, that might keep him out of AEW.  Heard he was coked out at All Out and that was part of why he hasn't been back.  He also came off a bit jerky where I was at- he was the one guy I ended up getting a negative impression of that I didn't expect.  Hopefully I was wrong or he matures quickly- he's got a lot of talent and I want him to succeed- I just got a bad impression from what I saw.

also met Salina there- she is incredibly nice, talented, and driven, and went out of her way to talk to the younger girls who were there.  I really hope she fulfills her potential of being the next Gary Hart.  I don't know if Salina fits in WWE, but she'd be damn good in AEW leading a heel faction.

ACH came back for MLW and already quit in the most ACH way ever. 

Now I"m really glad Teddy wasn't there and didn't find the Crooked Tail Cat Cafe (seriously, if anyone hits Wrestlecade, there is an actual cat cafe near the venue, really nice and a lot of wrestling fans went to see the kittens)

Edited by alstein
  • Like 2

Fusion was good again. They started with a battle royale which ended up being won by some tall dude named Gorgon who looked like Son of Nash. It was funny seeing everyone immediately gang up and dump Barrington Hughes. In all honesty I didn't know there were this many people on MLW's roster since they seem to show the same eight or so guys every episode. 

Anyway, they tease a Taipei death match between Mancer and Havoc but then run last week's main with a screen crawl saying the two got in a brawl backstage and Havoc got injured? Okay... I guess to fill up the garbage quotient for the show they have Savio and some guy fight in what appears to be somebody's backyard at night in a so-called "Swamp Death Match". No blood, but they do hit each other with a cowbell and bring up Savio's barbed wire bullrope match in IWA. 

LA Park gear is still being sold so I think he's still coming back. They're also selling an amusing "Mancer Chainsaw Massacre" shirt imitating the Leatherface from Part 2 design. 

Main was Harts vs. Contra and was fine. Pillman does take a sloppy fall into the ropes that looks nasty and the announcers nicely play it off. He has now braided the blonde parts of the mullet and combined with the tiny zebra print tights makes him look sleazier than ever. Davey has a mean mouse under one eye, wonder where that came from...

Oh, and Filthy Tom is associated with nobody and still hates Contra so don't worry about that

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Davey has a mean mouse under one eye, wonder where that came from...

If you're not being sarcastic(GREEN FONT) I believe it's from the Lawlor match a few weeks back(accidental eyepoke?)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Davey has a mean mouse under one eye, wonder where that came from...

DBS worked a match with Filthy Tom the episode before this one and the match ended with a weird situation where there was an accidental eyepoke.  I remember them working through it and Tom hitting his Final Cut elbow thingie finisher for the win.

DBS looked really pissed off post match..

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Am I behind then? That would mean there was an episode between the one I watched and the Thanksgiving one. I could've erased it from the DVR accidentally because I went on a killing spree there last weekend.

Latest episode was the CONTRA / HF 2.0 main event, so you should be GTG.

despite ACH quitting MLW days after rejoining MLW last week, this week's Fusion opens with ACH and King Mo facing Injustice (a match which was taped on December 5th)

Long live MLW having to deal with turning their tapings into coherent televised wrestling. (edit: the final line of the Mo/ACH line was a question about if King Mo and ACH were the future of MLW)

Match notes: King Mo's spinebuster on Koto Brazil was... unique looking. Not sure who to blame/credit for that. Also, I think Mo botched a Stinger splash landing.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

Mo looks baaaaaad. He is green as goose shit, obviously, but I don't even know what the fuck that submission was supposed to be. His coach on commentary was right, there are some adjustments that need to be made. Sticking him with ACH would have been a good idea...

God you think Injustice are annoying and then the Dynasty shows up. So, so cretinous. It's perfect. They don't even need to wrestle, just have them keep doing skits at the bar.

...I spoke too soon as Holliday comes the ring to fight Thatcher. Who looks like he's gonna lock the yuppie in his basement and stretch him. If they ever made a live-action Simpsons movie, Thatcher would make a fine Groundskeeper Willie. Not much of a match but Thatcher moves on in the Cup as he should. 

Mancer and the guy mugging with the bottle of shine is great, wanting a Prince of Darkness match is not. Teasing a Taipei Death Match and not giving it is bullshit, replacing it with blindfolds is double bullshit.

Cima cuts a promo? I thought he had an arrangement with AEW?

Pillman Jr. and TJP have a really good match. TJP's style is so elaborate and technical, I'd love to see him vs. Zack Sabre Jr. (in fact they might've fought before for all I know). Brian plays his daddy in face mode, lots of agonized faces and taking lots of abuse. The bit where TJP scooted out of a loose headlock backwards and upside down cracked me up. Nothing ever really kicks into second gear but this is perfectly solid wrestling with lots of submission work and some hard strikes. Pillman advancing is fine; TJP will do well with anyone in MLW, he knows the game and he's great anyway. 

• Like 1

Mo's finisher is the worlds worst heel hook or at least that was what he was using last time I bothered to watch one of his matches.

MLW's card was solid.  There wasn't enough Injustice or ACH to mask King Mo's shitty wrestling and I would definitely not put him over the fabulously douchey Myron Reed in a Middleweight title match, but that's where this shit seems to be headed.

I was happy to see Thatcher finally get a quality win even though I think it will be Pillman or DBS taking the Opera Cup.

Mancer is great.  His choice of match stips is not.

Edited by J.T.

Well, dammit... I was looking around for the Opera Cup brackets, to see if my Low Ki/Pillman Jr. rematch-as-final could happen, and Wikipedia's entry on the tournament has the results for the entire night's taping on that page. Now I'm going to have to drink (even more) heavily in the hopes that I can obliterate the knowledge and enjoy the upcoming shows unspoiled. 

• Haha 1