DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

That main event ruled. That and Filthy vs. Thatcher were the highlights for me.

The rest was pretty standard what you get on weekly TV, so it was all good, but not great.

Man I hope this replay starts at midnight I'm getting real sick of these Jeff Dunham, medicare, bound for glory, cheap penis pills, vaping and random other comedian ads. 

Fuck Yes can't wait to watch Fatu vs. Parka, Aries vs. Hart, Stairway to Hell and Grapple fucking again. 

Next week they are airing live from Orlando on beIN SPORTS, so I don't think they will be airing any of this in full.

Edited by Edwin

15 hours ago, Edwin said:

They just announced a partnership with AAA.

From Cubs

MLW announced a talent sharing deal with AAA. No details were announced. There’s history here: MLW’s Court Bauer was also the guy heading up the English/US expansion in 2015, the person in charge of promoting the infamous 2015 TripleMania PPV. Bauer didn’t seem to have much to do with the issues of that show, but it did seem to lead to him leaving AAA. (Bauer had nothing bad to say about AAA even with leaning, which probably makes it a lot easier to do this deal four years later.) Bauer restarted MLW in the meantime, where Konnan’s been working in front and behind the scenes. MLW has been successful in marketing to latinx fans in US but hasn’t been able to find stable relationships with luchadors outside of the Park family since the Lucha Brothers left. Bauer’s previously mentioned and rejected the idea of doing a deal with CMLL or AAA, feeling anyone who got over could be shifted over to ROH or AEW. It’s unclear what has changed to make MLW unconcerned with that situation.

It also complicates the increasingly weird entanglement of wrestling promotions. AAA is working with AEW, Impact, and MLW, who are all competing for the same fans. MLW has relationships with AAA and The Crash, who are at war with each other. Konnan has talked about a world where all the promotions work together. That’s never happened because the promotions will eventually pick their own success over the success of the entire group. Maybe it’ll be different this time, but there’s more likely to be more shifting to come.

Catching up with Fusion right now. I guess it's the dark matches for the PPV. Savio fought a guy and the announcers had to bring up how much weight was in the ring, haha. Yeah that was a lot of beef. I was disappointed at Savio not blading for the cowbell shot; guess you can't have blood in technically the first match of the PPV though. Very nice lucha match after that with the slick kid with the emo mohawk (I know, a contradiction in terms) and then another one with Zenshi and Hijo de LA Park. Zenshi hugely botches his coast-to-coast dropkick, falling about three feet short of Hijo which needs to be on Botchamania for sure. And then wait -- the fucking SPIRIT SQUAD?! Okay. I always thought Kenny Doane was the best of those guys. Three-way tag is fast and chaotic, ends with a big-time misting of the other Squad guy (Mikey) who starts punching the air blindly. Paige should have done that last week if she wasn't able to bump. 

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Catching up with Fusion right now. I guess it's the dark matches for the PPV. Savio fought a guy and the announcers had to bring up how much weight was in the ring, haha.

That's Leo Brien from the Dirty Blones. They are a Florida tag team. MLW used them for their first return shows in Orlando and they were building the Stud Stable with them being managed by Colonel Rob Parker and Parrow as the third member, but like many other early return MLW shows, the group got dropped and the Dirty Blondes have barely been booked by MLW since then.

Went to the MLW show...

The show ran long -- 4 PM past 8 PM, but I headed out after the Jacob Fatu title defense vs. one of the von Erich's. I missed the Jimmy Havoc vs. Mance Warner Falls Count Anywhere match as I had no interest in watching that and I headed out to the USA Pro show 15 minutes down the road.

The place was definitely sold out and packed and they even added extra chairs and those were also full. Thatcher vs. Ki was underwhelming, but both guys still rule and the match was still relatively good, just not the classic I was expecting. Lawlor vs. DBS Jr. was good, but no on par with the Bloodsport match. Lawlor accidentally eye poked DBS Jr. and he was visibly distraught about it. DBS Jr. then had a swollen black eye from it. Teddy vs. Reed was a ton of fun and Teddy got busted open hardway and Samael through a fireball in his face which is the first time I've seen it live and it's nuts. Legit thought Teddy got hurt with the fireball, but he didn't as I later saw him work the USA Pro show. #Injustice as a group are fun live. First time seeing Ikuro Kwan live and he is awesome. The Spider Lady was Priscilla Kelly. It seems as if she signed with MLW. Her match with Zeda was an uncoordinated botch heavy mess. Not a good way for the relaunching of their women's division. Hammerstone and Holliday suck, but they seem relatively young and have good looks, so I can see WWE looking to pick them up to send to NXT or AEW picking them up to pair them up with MJF as the Dynasty again. The von Erich's have to be on WWE or AEW's radar also. Both are talented third generation good looking guys with great physics. And of course Jacob Fatu is great. His title defense was kind of messy, but he's unique with Samael in his corener. Nothing really ground breaking here, but I had a good time.

Edited by Edwin

Well given the stories in the last week or two from Florida this is extremely convenient.  In case you are wondering,  lots of the suspicion in this is because of his friendship with Chasyn Rance who seems to have a lot of pull in the state even though he is a registered sex offender who just can't stop getting himself in trouble.  So many stories that it is hard to follow but most of them are rather sick.

Given that the other top star in the company is now in the top feud for AEW,   booking Teddy to be out for a long time seems rather dumb.   So I figure this is a way to hope that the heat blows away. 

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Teddy's run-in with the Harts to fight Contra to start Fusion was one of the least enthusiastic run-ins you'll see. I just don't give a fuck about Injustice as an act, so of course they'll keep getting TV time.

True, but I'd much rather focus on that goddamn motherfucking great promo from Contra Unit to start the show.  I loved everything about that and somehow love them twice as much as I already did.

• Like 3

On 11/3/2019 at 7:43 AM, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I thought the show was great. Definitely worth the $20. Main event was insane with a great atmosphere. I also thought Lawlor/Thatcher and Hart/Aries were really strong matches.

Watched the replay.  I also thought it was a really good show, but there weren't too many surprises.  Everyone I thought would go over went over.