DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

Well, a certain chant that occurs at Mexican soccer games may have drowned out MJF’s micwork in Tijuana. Also, considering the language gap between MJF and the fans (even if Tijuana is on the border), the potential for micwork is sorta what it is.

Also, Tijuana isn’t exactly 1970s Harlan County Kentucky in regard to needing to put every babyface over without the heels getting any extra heat.

I’m sure the crowd was louder than it came across on their broadcast but the announcers (who probably weren’t there) we’re trying to sell the place being really loud when their broadcast didn’t get that point across. It was almost like a radio broadcast of a sports event where the audio is all from the booth and you couldn’t hear the crowd.

On 9/16/2019 at 6:58 PM, Curt McGirt said:

That was class of them. 

Even though he never worked for Vince (which is weird tbh) he deserves a place in the Hall of Fame. 

Gary worked for WWF for one day.  He quit when he found out Strongbow was in charge on the road since they had a feud going back a ways

• Like 2

On 10/16/2019 at 10:46 AM, J.T. said:

Getting caught up on my MLW episodes.  Very brave of them to book Dynasty over Los PARKs in Mexico after MJW told MAGA jokes to rile up the crowd.

I hope they had a helicopter ready to fly Holiday and MJF to the US and relative safety after that match.

Getting that 1990's Gringos Locos heat.

5 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

I remember Andre or Bruno had a beef with Gary Hart too for some reason?

I think it was Bruno but they smoothed it out. You'd think I could remember all this after reading the damn thing twice, but it's packed with so much information and so many stories that I won't blame my shot-to-shit memory for once. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

considering that Earthquake debuted in the WWF in October 1989 and Gary Hart was managing Muta until Starrcade 89

My memory is foggy but I'm sure it's mentioned in the book. He came in for TV but nobody showed up to pick him up at the airport so he went home and no-showed the tapings as he thought he was being ribbed

On 10/16/2019 at 2:48 PM, The Great ML said:

Loved that backstage segment with Salina and Samael.

I am digging how Court isn't turning anyone face unnecessarily and is booking this more as a battle between evils.

I am a bit bummed that Holliday and MJF have the night off.  You probably could've planted the seeds for the inevitable Dynasty vs. VE tag-title match on this card.

I totally expect a run-in during the Hammerstone vs. DBS match after a screwjob title retention, but I also expect Hart Foundation to come out for the save rather than the Von Erichs.

Edited by J.T.

https://www.f4wonline.com/mlw-news/mlw-womens-division-launching-next-month-295211

MLW women's division launching next month

MLW has announced when their women's division will be launching.

The division will begin at MLW's Blood & Thunder television tapings in Orlando, Florida on the afternoon of Saturday, November 9. Zeda Zhang will be in the division's first match, though her opponent hasn't been announced.

MLW unveiled Zhang as the first member of their women's division earlier this month. She's signed a "multi-year exclusive contract" with the promotion.

Zhang took part in the first Mae Young Classic and wrestled for NXT prior to being released by WWE in 2018. She previously appeared for MLW after her release from WWE.

MLW initially featured women's matches when it relaunched starting in 2017.

The Blood & Thunder tapings are taking place at GILT Nightclub in Orlando. Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Tom Lawlor, Low Ki vs. Timothy Thatcher, and a mystery box battle royal have also been announced for the tapings.

The tapings are being held one week after MLW's first pay-per-view. Cicero Stadium in Cicero, Illinois is hosting Saturday Night SuperFight on November 2.

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/details-on-mlw-producer-leaving-the-company

Details On MLW Producer Leaving The Company

Alex Greenfield, who has been with MLW since the beginning of their relaunch, announced on Twitter that he was no longer with the company on Monday.

According to a report in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, this is due to Alex lobbying too strongly to bring his services to AEW:

He was an agent who would coordinate the crews and shoot stuff for the company at shows and coordinate some post-production stuff. The company believed he was pitching himself hard to AEW but felt there were issues in how that was done, even though they consider themselves allies of AEW. Those internally said they felt they had no choice but to let him go.”

On 10/18/2019 at 4:55 PM, Wee Bey said:

MLW has announced when their women's division will be launching.

The division will begin at MLW's Blood & Thunder television tapings in Orlando, Florida on the afternoon of Saturday, November 9. Zeda Zhang will be in the division's first match, though her opponent hasn't been announced.

Screen-Shot-2019-10-02-at-6.16.22-PM-e15 

Oooff...

Settle down, JTnetico...

17 hours ago, Wee Bey said:

Alex Greenfield, who has been with MLW since the beginning of their relaunch, announced on Twitter that he was no longer with the company on Monday.

According to a report in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, this is due to Alex lobbying too strongly to bring his services to AEW.

That was dumb.  Anyone who doesn't get or respect the tribalistic nature of the pro wrasslin' business kinda deserves what he gets.

Every fed is their own kingdom and the rulers expect total loyalty.   If you're going to shop yourself around, you better make damn sure there is a guaranteed job in it for you and that you exit on your terms.

Now the only message he's sent to AEW is that he'll sell his services to someone else if he thinks his stock is rising.  That reputation will get you blackballed by everyone.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I thought that the answer to What Is Worse than a Jimmy Havoc Garbage Match IN MLW? would be Jimmy Havoc:  MLW Executive Producer.

However, this card is chock full of Indy Lucha Sleeze from The Crash so it's fucking awesome.  Main event is a three way dance of violence between Savio Vega / Jimmy Havoc / and Damian mother fucking 666 so be prepared to shed tears of shameful joy.

Abandon the booking logic of Jimmy being Selina's advisor and working a match against a member of her stable and just enjoy the asswhoppin'.

Spoiler

Most likely, this finish of the main event match just makes me think that it will be used to fuel the gimmick angle where Selina and Bestia 666 show Jimmy the MLW exit door and then Jimmy will work in AEW full time.

Edited by J.T.

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

the LA Park promo (which the subtitles undersold, from what I hear) does make me think of the value of a money mark show where the entire card is Samoans fighting Mexicans.

I was more surprised by the relatively respectful reception for Savio Vega in the main event with Puerto Ricans being traditional / cultural heels in Lucha.

Damian 666 was mad over.

Edited by J.T.

maybe there's an echelon here where Puerto Ricans are tecnicos in Mexico only if they're fighting Anglos?

My tentative main event for "Samoans vs Mexicans" is not technically possible right now.. that match would be Usos vs Penta/Fenix. This being Mexico, i'm sure that Haku and Blue Panther can work on opposite corners in a trios match.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

maybe there's an echelon here where Puerto Ricans are tecnicos in Mexico only if they're fighting Anglos?

Anglos or Japanese workers moonlighting in TJ seem to be the only loopholes.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

My tentative main event for "Samoans vs Mexicans" is not technically possible right now.. that match would be Usos vs Penta/Fenix. This being Mexico, i'm sure that Haku and Blue Panther can work on opposite corners in a trios match.

Haku isn't Samoan.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Haku isn't Samoan.

The same wrestler (Sam Fatu) was the Samoan Savage and the Tonga Kid.. so I figure there's enough flexibility here to fill out a card. So anyways, Haku and 2 of his sons vs Panther and 2 of his sons. Let the kids do most of the work and the 59-60yo dads occasionally do stuff. You tell Haku he can't be part of this card.