DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

15 hours ago, AxB said:

The mugshot at the start implied Mance Warner was 2 metres tall. That's Six foot Eight. I don't know that he's even six foot nothing.

Zenshi vs Hijo del LA Park was craziness, even before Hijo nearly killed Zen with that Huracanrana botch. But he must have been fine, because he hit the standing Shooting Star immediately. And then the coast to coast was insane. I have the strangest feeling this guy is headed for a bigger stage than MLW sooner rather than later.

I just know that the more I see of La Park Jr the more I like him more than El Hijo del LA Park.  He's just bigger and wrestles more like his old man.  But this match was fine for an opening match on free TV.

15 hours ago, AxB said:

Why does Simon Gotch always film his promos separately from the other Contra members? Speaking of promos, lots of them on this show. Not much angle advancement in the promos, mind. We still don't know who the last man in the War Chamber is going to be. The Lawlor vs Fatu title rematch is next week, they did announce that. 

EDIT: And Teddy Hart vs MJF had some nice spots. Reversing a boot chokein the corner into a flying rolling ankle lock was sweet as hell. But it does seem odd, in a company where the Middleweight Division is packed with flyers, that the title match should be basically one guy doing a mix of flying and science, and the other doing heavyweight moves and heel stooging.

I thought this match was good.  I really dug how MJF sold the fifty Canadian Destroyers.  Teddy Hart is a not as annoying Jack Evans,

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, alstein said:

This week's show was pretty good.  A 1990's style WCW 6-man cruiserweight match followed by a good main event and angle.

Koto is a natural heel.  I didn't see that coming.  I dug that whole match.  Fatu match not as much.

I wasn’t 100% on the injustice group, but that match has me sold on them. It’s like Special K got real into New Jack. Oliver, Reed and Koto are a great team.

I say this every time he is on but Gringo Loco is pretty damn good, I’m surprised he doesn’t show up in other places on TV as often.

Im halfway through the main, but they really need to keep Fatu having short matches.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Im halfway through the main, but they really need to keep Fatu having short matches.

They should have sent him to Noah.

• Like 1

I didn't see Kotto joining #Injustice either.  Given what's going on with PD right now, I knew that Kotto's on again / off again feud with Ricky Martinez was pretty much over, but I had no idea what they were going to do with Kotto after that. 

It's good to see that MLW Creative is not like WWE creative and isn't totally bankrupt when it comes to coming up with new angles or repackaging workers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I say this every time he is on but Gringo Loco is pretty damn good, I’m surprised he doesn’t show up in other places on TV as often.

GL is a solid mid-card dude.   I wish he would drop his West Coast hip-hop entrance music since he is repping Chi-raq, but my knowledge of the Second City hip-hop scene is rather limited, so I have no idea what he could use to better rep where he's actually from.

• Like 1

I think #Injustice would work better if Rich Swann was still there, but he seems to have left when Sami Callihan did. Kotto Brazil is a surprisingly effective replacement.

With Brian Pillman II (most likely) AEW bound, and Davey Boy Jr apparently on his way to Impact at some point, what's Teddy Hart going to have left to do? Are they going to unite The Dynasty and the New Hart Foundation when MJF goes fulltime AEW?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

I think #Injustice would work better if Rich Swann was still there, but he seems to have left when Sami Callihan did. Kotto Brazil is a surprisingly effective replacement.

With Brian Pillman II (most likely) AEW bound, and Davey Boy Jr apparently on his way to Impact at some point, what's Teddy Hart going to have left to do? Are they going to unite The Dynasty and the New Hart Foundation when MJF goes fulltime AEW?

I wonder if Impact would take Teddy since Davey Boy would be there to babysit him. Maybe he's actually changed since he's blown so many opportunities and MLW seemed like a last chance.

19 hours ago, AxB said:

Bonus love to MLW Creative for incorporating Kotto's recent run of putting other guys over into his gimmick reason for joining #injustice.

• Like 1

So, the card for this past weekend's MLW card was:

• Alexander Hammestone vs. Go Shiozaki (N1 Victory Tournament match)
  • Richard Holliday vs. Brian Pillman Jr.
  • Jordan Oliver vs. Gringo Loco

Since I have fallen out with my ex-wifey and don't get bEIN Sports at my co-bachelor crib, I'll end up watching this on the YouTubes when it airs tonight.

• Konnan got what was coming to him.
  • Gringo Loco vs. Jordan Oliver was a perfectly fine Cruiserweight match... well... you know what I'm talking about.  For Gringo to be from Chi-raq, the hometown crowd sure was fucking dead for the guy.  Maybe they don't realize he's a local bro because of his fucking West Coast hip-hop entrance music?  Hmmmm.  Rep where you're from, dude.  Myron Reed is a phenomenal chicken shit heel, BTW.
  • Holliday vs. Pillman Jr. was a pretty hilarious match.  Eddy would've been proud.  It is totally hypocritical how Schiavone labels heel chicanery as cheating but when tweens / faces stoop to using underhanded tactics, they're just "sharper than their opponents."  Bullshit.
  • Dear Lord.  The glorious Von Erich brothers promo may as well been the prologue to Blackhawk Down or something.  I have rarely felt more patriotic in all my life than I did after that vid package.  'MERICA~!  FUCK YEAH~!
  • Hammerstone vs. Shiozaki from NOAH was also a perfectly fine match.  Hammerstone seems to understand the flow of Japanese match style very well and he plays to the crowd like a proper gaijin should.  Thank God he didn't embarrass our great nation by crippling Shiozaki in his home country with a botched Nightmare Pendulum.
Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, alstein said:

I'm pretty high on Hammerstone though- I think he's going to be money for somebody eventually.

The Dynasty was the best thing to happen to him, really. 

Up until that point, he'd been running a Triple H Lite clone gimmick and he didn't seem to be happy nor did he wrestle with any real purpose, but now he's found a better way to channel his natural heel stylings and this hybrid this Million Dollar Man  /  Big Poppa Pump persona really suits him.

Now if he could only do something about that sloppy finisher....

Edited by J.T.

Not only that, but he has two moves that are a "something else swung into a Rock Bottom" type move, and on this show Boccinni blew the call and said they were both the Nightmare Pendulum, when that's just the vertical Suplex version. The front slam version is supposed to be a different move he also does.

I'm more of a fan of wrestlers having multiple moves from one set up (like having both a Piledriver and a Powerbomb as signature spots, or Omega having Croyt's Wrath and the One Winged Angel both off an Electric Chair lift), but hey ho.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

.I'm more of a fan of wrestlers having multiple moves from one set up (like having both a Piledriver and a Powerbomb as signature spots, or Omega having Croyt's Wrath and the One Winged Angel both off an Electric Chair lift), but hey ho.

Yes, but Kenny's got an arsenal that rivals Lightning Mike Quackenbush, so it is rare that you will see Croyt's and the OWA in the same match unless that shit goes like an hour or something. 

Hammerstone, by comparison, does not have (as Gorilla Monsoon would put it) a repertoire of that magnitude, but you don't want a lactic acid production factory like Alex Hammerstone going over forty minutes anyway,

Crappy though it may be, the Nightmare Pendulum is a logical finisher for him since nothing really sets it up other than Hammerstone's power just breaking you down so you can't kick out of his big killer move.

Edited by J.T.

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Gringo Loco took an unprotected chairshot to the side of the head and nobody even cares.

Probably a little payback from the brass knucks potatoes that Gringo put into Reed's gut in the previous week's six man tag.

Edited by J.T.