DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

If DOUKI is really no longer with NJPW, he might be a decent friend for Davey Boy if he ever needed one due to the Suzuki-Gun connection.  DOUKI would be a good fit in MLW.

Saw a comment that kinda made sense to me- MLW might be the new World Class in how it is, there seems to be a bunch of similarities.  Contra is like Devastation Corportation, and we have Von Erichs.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:16 PM, Wee Bey said:

Is Gotch really the least member of this click?  Ironically enough, his smooth R&B voice makes him the second scariest guy in that promo, dudes.

On paper, I think I could probably skip this week's card since this is likely to be Jimmy Havoc's last MLW match before he skips to AEW, but it's LA PARK the DESTROYER layin' this beatdown so I am tuning in when it gets posted to the YouTubes.

Edited by J.T.

On 8/17/2019 at 12:17 AM, J.T. said:

Is Gotch really the least member of this click?  Ironically enough, his smooth R&B voice makes him the second scariest guy in that promo, dudes.

On paper, I think I could probably skip this week's card since this is likely to be Jimmy Havoc's last MLW match before he skips to AEW, but it's LA PARK the DESTROYER layin' this beatdown so I am tuning in when it gets posted to the YouTubes.

Since I started watching even when it's not a strong show I always find something of value.  As long as Contra Unit is there I'm tuning in.  And I like The Dynasty quite a bit so even if Hammerstone's match was weak they have the promos that deliver.

Well MLW decides to create a women's division because it makes sense for a company that has had maybe 2 women's matches in their existence I guess.  and to celebrate this Jim Cornette decides to call Jordynne Grace a butterface.    Never mind that the list of quality women for the division is going to be slim, here is another thing that they might want to push that Cornette is openly shitting on because he is trying to involved in some "angle" to stay relevant.   The other being Mance Warner.   

by the way, I will take an entire room of Vince Russo and Mike Johnson and Ryan Satin wannabes then all these fuckers who spend twitter to tag Cornette on shit they don't like.   I thought my social life sucked 

As far as people who tweet things to Cornette hoping he'll go off about them, I'd be interested to know what percentage are massive Cornette fans who agree with everything he says, and what percentage see him as their personal dancing monkey. Because I wouldn't be surprised if there were plenty of the latter.

A couple weeks ago, he said he was still discussing working for them In the future, but only shows within a certain radius of Louisville. 

(He said he is pulling back from a lot of shows and appearances for the next year or so, from burnout and possibly related to the passing of his father in law.)

• Sad 1

They've got a decent talent roster, just run with guest superstar commentary. MJF, Konnan, Teddy Hart, what's not to love?

• Like 1

I really liked Ace vs Aries but the fans couldn't have given less of a shit about it. Aries appears to have lost muscle since his previous match in MLW somehow, unless it's just the beard making his head look bigger. Speaking of lacking muscle, Jimmy Havoc is never 14 stone. I'm 14 stone, and my forearms are bigger than his thighs. Decent little streetfight with LA Park though, but trying to persuade us that those flimsy doors are replacement ring boards is some bullshit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AxB said:

I really liked Ace vs Aries but the fans couldn't have given less of a shit about it. Aries appears to have lost muscle since his previous match in MLW somehow, unless it's just the beard making his head look bigger. Speaking of lacking muscle, Jimmy Havoc is never 14 stone. I'm 14 stone, and my forearms are bigger than his thighs. Decent little streetfight with LA Park though, but trying to persuade us that those flimsy doors are replacement ring boards is some bullshit.

I hate that whole style of wrestling.  It's so not Big Japan 1999.  LA PARK is so awesome that he can save even Jimmy Havoc's shitty stylings, though this was just a perfectly fine match and not what I'm expecting from an MLW main event.  I love that LA PARK wasn't afraid of Mance Warner's chainsaw.

• Martinez crotching Warner at the start of their match was fucking awesome.  If you can't be good, be good at being dirty.  Too bad he had to eat the Sami Callahan / Pad Up Pad Down tribute knee for yet another loss.  Turn Ricky tweener already so that he and Low-Ki can team back up and curb stomp unfortunate jobbers in MLW curtain jerkers.
  • MLW Shop is up and running.  I need one of those LA PARK: THE DESTROYER t-shirts like yesterday.
  • Did Teddy Hart just diss Batista's fashion choices?
  • AA vs AA was a far better match than that shit crowd deserved.  I am digging Austin Aries becoming the MLW version of the villain from the Shaw Brothers's kung-fu classic, Five Superfighters.  YOUR MIDDLEWEIGHT DIVISION IS SHIT AND I AM HERE TO IMPROVE IT~!  If Austin Aries is 202 then I am fucking 202 and I am like 145 soaking wet.  and HOLY SHIT, the counter of the Fold into the Brainbuster for the finish was king sized!
  • Name that tune:  Hammerstone's entrance theme is Hyperpower by NIN.   Ace Austin also comes in to a NIN song (The Hand That Feeds).
  • God, why do Jimmy Havoc's garbage matches always feel so scripted?  I feel that Matsunaga needs to hold a workshop and teach hardcore spot monkeys how to weave flow into their violence parties.  This match was a lot better than that title match with Lawlor because LA fucking PARK is there to shine like a fucking diamond.
  • I also loved LA PARK being all FUCK YO CHAINSAW, PENDEJO~! 
Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

If I wasn't already in the process of trying to sell a bunch of stuff I would consider getting a Contra Unit shirt.  But I'm going to exercise restraint for now.

I feel I've seen a fair amount at this point of Jimmy Havoc and I still don't get the big deal about him.  He's a decent enough wrestler but the deathmatch stuff is mainly the basics plus a staple gun and paper cuts.  I'll have to see if there's something from Progress that can help but I will say that LA Park was far better at it last night.

Anywho, I did like Martinez/Warner with Ricky desperately using any dirty tactic he could to get the win.  And while I played the Aries/Ace match on 2x speed (don't like Aries) I could tell it was a pretty good match between the two.  I also had to laugh at them both having "Austin" in the name which Tony was so hung up on the whole time.  And yeah that finish was pretty neat.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

If I wasn't already in the process of trying to sell a bunch of stuff I would consider getting a Contra Unit shirt.  But I'm going to exercise restraint for now.

I feel that if I wore a CONTRA shirt anywhere in the state of Texas, I may get into a legit fistfight with some Von Erich fans while stopping at a gas station to get snacks or grabbing a beer at a bar.

This is why I need to buy one as quickly as possible.  The hate is fucking real and that is what pro wrestling really needs.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, J.T. said:

This is why I need to buy one as quickly as possible.  The hate is fucking real and that is what pro wrestling really needs.

Yeah, I'm absolutely loving everything about the feud.  It's moments like that where I wish I could somehow get this to play on a CRT TV with an antenna.  It makes me think back to watching wrestling on Saturday mornings and particularly at my grandfather's house when he had such a TV.  Shit, if I could get this to work I would have it play not just MLW but also all the old school goodness that's on there.  EDIT:  Okay, there is a way to do it.  So when I move out this is exactly what I'll be doing.  And this is ideal since we were going to use such a TV for the old consoles anyway like SNES and N64.

Also, I know that Selina is the heel and everything but the more Konnan goes on about her phone the more he's becoming a dick about the whole thing.  It would make sense if it's a slow burn towards a double turn but there's no signs of that.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1