DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

Didn't somebody mention the 4th Contra member was from NOAH or was that just wishful thinking.  Because that would be a pretty neat way to kick off the partnership.

Loved the show and also loved that they covered for the short time with the Ki and Von Erich's by airing a dark match from last week.  Gringo Loco was super beloved and I'm hoping for their sake there was more to it than what we saw.  And Smith/Thatcher was pretty neat though it took awhile to get the crowd to care.

Also, not sure what was up with Dynasty referring to Teddy failing a wellness policy but I loved Hammerstone's panic and assurances from MJF and Holliday about getting clean urine.  Funny stuff.

EDIT:  Almost forgot how much I loved DBS trying to deal with Georgia's time with Alexander.  The promo at the end was fine but I absolutely loved beforehand how Pillman was being a smooth operator to get the interviewer to stop asking Davey about it.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

I loved that Thatcher/DBS match.  Now I want to see Thatcher vs Lawler and Thatcher vs Low-Ki.  And the Von Erichs/Contra stuff was fucking beautiful.

• Like 6

I’ve been meaning to ask if there’s a reason why Thatcher isn’t signed with any company right now. His Evolve stuff was rad, he’s got the look and the ability, and he pops up in various places so he’s on people’s radars. What am I missing?

Court, for all his flaws, clearly has a formula for wild, out of control brawls and making guys look dangerous.

Since I started watching MLW he’s had success with a bunch of guys I never thought I’d be invested in. 

Tom Lawler, Contra Unit, Gringo Loco, Salina, Mance Warner and now the Von Erichs have all came from relative  obscurity and are now ‘must watch’ anytime they are on MLW TV.  Chuck in the established guys like The Harts, MJF, Low Ki and they have such a fun roster.

This weeks episode was great start to finish.  The Dynasty promo was incredible, Richard Holliday has really found his voice and Hammerstone is entertaining. His reaction to the wellness violation was great.

DBS Jr v Thatcher was really great and not something you see every week on TV.

Theres so much stuff going on and it all feels fresh, the episode flies by.

• Like 5

It was Gotch who founded Contra. He was part of Team Filthy with Tom Lawlor until he turned on Lawlor for a payoff from Selina De La Renta. Before Contra debuted, Lawlor defeated Gotch pretty easily in a no-ropes submission match. Gotch should get to stretch jobbers out more to show how dangerous he is. Paint him as a guy that doesn't have to use the tactics he does, but he does because he enjoys it.

Sammael and Fatu are both doing edgy short tempered characters. Simon Gotch really is like that. WWE fired him for having legit fights backstage. Sin Cara kicked his arse, apparently.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Sammael and Fatu are both doing edgy short tempered characters. Simon Gotch really is like that. WWE fired him for having legit fights backstage. Sin Cara kicked his arse, apparently.

It's old, but Gotch's RF shoot and discussing Enzo is fantastic.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Also, not sure what was up with Dynasty referring to Teddy failing a wellness policy but I loved Hammerstone's panic and assurances from MJF and Holliday about getting clean urine.  Funny stuff.

"Guys... what's on the Wellness Policy?"

"We'll get you clean piss, Hammer."

?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The last episode was quality stuff. I hadn’t seen much of Thatcher before, my god he’s a beast, looks like a super soldier version of Cesaro and his tussling with DBS jr was great. 

Simon Gotch’s saggy boobs really distract me. I enjoy every shape and size in wrestling and not a body Nazi (ZSJ is one of my favourites) but there is something about his combination of dumpiness, round shoulders and man boobs that makes him so non-intimidating.

Thatcher/DBS Jr.: Tony saying you don't need to train to be a grappler of Thatcher or DBS Jr.'s caliber is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard on commentary. Not only is he downplaying both guys grappling abilities, but he's also saying any idiot can get in the ring, grab a limb and it would be effective. The match was pretty neat. I liked it better than DBS Jr.'s match against Killer Kross from Bloodsport as I felt Kross was holding back in that match, but that wasn't the case with Thatcher here. However, I liked Thatcher/Hideki from Bloodsport more than this and I'd probably say that is my favorite match from this year. I'd highly recommend anyone who liked this to watch that show.

12 hours ago, Edwin said:

Thatcher/DBS Jr.: Tony saying you don't need to train to be a grappler of Thatcher or DBS Jr.'s caliber is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard on commentary. Not only is he downplaying both guys grappling abilities, but he's also saying any idiot can get in the ring, grab a limb and it would be effective. The match was pretty neat. I liked it better than DBS Jr.'s match against Killer Kross from Bloodsport as I felt Kross was holding back in that match, but that wasn't the case with Thatcher here. However, I liked Thatcher/Hideki from Bloodsport more than this and I'd probably say that is my favorite match from this year. I'd highly recommend anyone who liked this to watch that show.

I love Tony, but time has allowed us to forget that he'd have some whoppers on commentary every so often.
Just yesterday I heard him call (at BattleBowl 91) that (winning this) "this would put a real bone in his cap." Jim Ross was perplexed.

He's human...but that call you mentioned is so counterproductive to promoting your (somewhat growing) product and fanbase.

I want to enjoy MLW but too many of the shows are just non-stop hardcore matches (which is weird for a promotion calling them a "hybrid sports" promotion), and Cornette is fucking unbearable. Like, I enjoy hardcore matches...but the whole episode? Split them up better, dudes. If the Von Erichs are too green to work matches, or Sammael won't work anything but "unsanctioned" matches, fine...just don't put them on the same episode with Mance as that's all he's doing, too.

• Like 1

Bit of a pedestrian show this week. The interviews were better than the matches. Savio nearly breaking his leg was the in-ring highlight, sadly.

4 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

I want to enjoy MLW but too many of the shows are just non-stop hardcore matches (which is weird for a promotion calling them a "hybrid sports" promotion), and Cornette is fucking unbearable. Like, I enjoy hardcore matches...but the whole episode? Split them up better, dudes. If the Von Erichs are too green to work matches, or Sammael won't work anything but "unsanctioned" matches, fine...just don't put them on the same episode with Mance as that's all he's doing, too.

I whole heartedly agree.

On 8/10/2019 at 11:08 PM, Edwin said:

I just watched the match.  I took what Tony said more as the guys that are good grapplers are born with it.  They've got something in them that makes them good at it.  I agree that it still undersells the work they put in to being great at it, but I think that's what he meant.

On 8/12/2019 at 9:45 PM, AxB said:

Bit of a pedestrian show this week. The interviews were better than the matches. Savio nearly breaking his leg was the in-ring highlight, sadly.

Well, I'm thinking that Hammerstone just isn't that good.

• Like 1

He's used to hitting that Suplex into a Rock Bottom on small flippy guys. 2019 Savio Vega is neither small nor flippy, by current standards.