DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

On 7/27/2019 at 7:23 PM, Infinit said:

Any word on who the new Contra member is?

What if it were Sami Callihan? He loses a "loser leaves town" match, then the "Worldwide Desperado" is brought back by the global dealers in violence who "aren't under contract". Then, Sami goes after Selina, Jim Cornette, and anyone else he thinks conspired to run him out of MLW. Imagine Sami Callihan and Josef Samael going after the tag titles. Railroad spikes and fireballs galore!

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What if it were Sami Callihan? He loses a "loser leaves town" match, then the "Worldwide Desperado" is brought back by the global dealers in violence who "aren't under contract". Then, Sami goes after Selina, Jim Cornette, and anyone else he thinks conspired to run him out of MLW. Imagine Sami Callihan and Josef Samael going after the tag titles. Railroad spikes and fireballs galore!

I would love to believe that would happen and it would make perfect gimmick sense to bring him back in as a CONTRA heel given how he was unceremoniously "fired," but I don't think that they'd have brought in Bestia to work singles with Mance if Sami's release was a work.

I think that once Court says you're out, you're fucking out so I don't foresee any mending of fences between MLW and Sami or Daga.  Court and Corny like to hold grudges and enjoy their petty tortures.  They are annoyingly old school like that.  Fed owners and money marks love to hold their rice bowls with iron hands.

I'm more inclined to believe that if there is another person added to the CONRA Unit, he'll either be a guy that's already on the roster (LANCE ANOA'i~!) or he'll come from the NOAH roster.

Edited by J.T.

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

‘That doesn’t work for me brother’.  I’m happy to drop Callahan from the roster.  This idea of Contra Unit not being under contract makes no logical sense.  The booking of this promotion is too often too creatively ambitious.  Keep it simple - let the guys work (as they do), but drop the cookie cutter angles.  

Edit: not logical nor respectful of the audience to run a loser leaves only to bring the guy back a month later.  These are wwe/wcw mistakes to learn from.  In this case it would kill the importance of a loser leaves town match.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

7 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

That doesn’t work for me brother’.  I’m happy to drop Callahan from the roster.  This idea of Contra Unit not being under contract makes no logical sense.  The booking of this promotion is too often too creatively ambitious.  Keep it simple - let the guys work (as they do), but drop the cookie cutter angles.  

Edit: not logical nor respectful of the audience to run a loser leaves only to bring the guy back a month later.  These are wwe/wcw mistakes to learn from.  In this case it would kill the importance of a loser leaves town match.

Of course it doesn't because you're not involved, so you're not going over anybody, Brother.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest ep of MLW debuted on the YouTubes last night.

Bless you, Cornette for the hype selling of the history of Bestia 666 for those not in the know.

Warner / 666 was a great fucking death match!!!

Did my ears deceive me or did the announce crew quote both Charlie Daniels and Iron Maiden in the same match?

Low-Ki vs. Ricky Martinez was also a pretty good brawl.  Loved the tease at the end of the match.  Burn me once, shame on you.  Burn me twice...

Von Erichs vs. CONTRA was also an incredibly fun brawl.   It was the finish I expected, but the not the guy I expected to take the finish.

MLW continues its run of consecutive bad ass cards.

• Like 4

The best part of the riot at the end was Stranglehold playing over the whole thing,  Soooo Texas 1985.  This is how you set up a Wargames match.  I still have no idea if any of these guys can actually do a straight wrestling match so this is 1995 ECW Heyman-level booking- so here's to Bauer.

• Like 4

Watched the opener and the main,

I'm not the biggest death match guy but I'm okay with it being the domain of one guy on the roster rather than being every match on the card.  It's really hard to say a match with this much plunder didn't feel over the top but I think it actually worked in coming near the edge of overkill and not going over the edge. The board shot from Warner was a tremendous spot and I was getting caught up in the emotion of it.  Bestia 666 has a really cool look and face paint.  The finish really worked for me.

The Von Erichs looked great in the tag match.  They wrestle like its a fight and it totally works for me.  They come off as stars in the making. The finish was tremendous.  The post was just the amount of wild I like.

• Like 3

Did Rich Swann leave with Sami? His spot in the stable with Myron Reed and the skinny pale kid is suddenly filled by Kotto Brazil.

- The death match needed more blood, but it was good. Simple, not a lot of gimmicks, just wish Cornette would have shut up. 

- Konnan's bullshit ruined the Low Ki match for me. 

- The unsanctioned tag honestly kicked the crap out of the death match. Those Von Erichs do indeed wrestle like their daddies. Simon Gotch with his big ears and saggy tits is a bit of a weird fit in Contra Unit to me (at least he lost the mustache) but he still wrestles fine. I was wondering where Fatu was the whole time, him and Lawler should have ran out. The "riot squad" was cornball but whatever. MLW doesn't seem to care about that, considering they've got Salina summoning wrestlers with black magic and "gypsy dancing", wrestlers that aren't supposed to be working for the fed wrestling, and bringing up wrestlers that were fired. It's all a little goofy but it works.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

MLW doesn't seem to care about that, considering they've got Salina summoning wrestlers with black magic and "gypsy dancing".

I quite like all that stuff, and like you say MLW seems to embrace the craziness.   

Mance Warner as Jack Burton going against Salina Lo Pan and her ethereal minions in a wrestling reboot of Big Trouble in Little China should be their priority!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

MLW doesn't seem to care about that, considering they've got Salina summoning wrestlers with black magic and "gypsy dancing", 

I was actually proud of MLW for incorporating the Palo Mayombe cultural angle into the Bestia 666 intro vignette.  I hope it carries through to when Selena's at ringside with Los Parks.

I think Selina has a healthy respect for the unknown and may have been nervous about that clip because even though she goes full Evil Santaria Priestess, she actually draws three nines on the cloth on the floor rather than three sixes.

It's still the Number of The Beast from our upside down perspective and technically she's not drawing the Anti-Christ's area code with her own free hand.

When's she's not being a mean heel manager she's probably a decent person in real life and probably a practicing Catholic, so I am sure she doesn't want to blatantly engage in any supernatural practice of a seemingly evil nature..

It is actually pretty interesting to read up about how regional folklore from Africa and Latin America wove its way into Christianity and religious practices starting in the colonial period and leading up to present day.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

On 8/1/2019 at 8:57 AM, J.T. said:

I was actually proud of MLW for incorporating the Palo Mayombe cultural angle into the Bestia 666 intro vignette. 

If you want to read about some horrific stuff involving Palo Mayombe. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Mark_Kilroy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolfo_Constanzo

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you want to read about some horrific stuff involving Palo Mayombe. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Mark_Kilroy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolfo_Constanzo

Yep, I read one of the true crime novels about the Matamoros drug cult. 

The horror movie, Borderland, is loosely based on the activities of Constanzo's cult.

One important thing to note is that Santaria Is the "positive" form of the ritual practice and Palo is connected with the "evil" spirits so to speak.

Same with Voodoo / Voodun in that some entities are considered to be either positive or negative forces.   All of the spirits / gods / loa are invoked as you want to earn the favor of the positive spirits and not earn the scrutiny of the negative ones.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

Does anyone know what the Opera Cup was 70 years ago that MLW is bringing back for the their next New York tapings?

https://lastwordonprowrestling.com/2019/07/31/opera-house-cup-tournament-reboots-after-71-years/

In the early days of pro wrestling, the Opera House Cup was a prestigious trophy won after a grueling multi-day wrestling tournament in the US that determined new challengers to the World Heavyweight Championship. In 1948, it was won by a young up-and-comer from Canada, Stu Hart, in what proved to be the tournament’s final running, after it’s launch nearly 50 years earlier. For over 50 years, the trophy remained on display in the famed Hart Mansion in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, a reminder to a bygone era of some of the early days of wrestling’s lost heroes and champions. While Stu Hart went on to form Klondike Wrestling that same year (which would eventually become the legendary Stampede Wrestling), the Opera House Cup tournament – named after the fact it was predominantly competed for in some of the top opera venues of the time – faded into obscurity.

• Like 1

Loved Smith vs Thatcher this week. Not sure what went on with them showing Gringo Loco vs Senshi from Chicago so edited. The bits we saw were great, but they were showing replay highlights when you could hear them moving around in the ring. And War Chamber is 4 vs 4. Contra has a 4th member who they didn't identify.

Well I expect a face team finish for War Chamber as I have no idea how you book a Von Erich loss in Texas and not have a fucking riot in the parking lot on your hands.  

If CONTRA wins that match, they'll have to helicopter evac those poor fuckers from the roof of the Dallas Metroplex.

So, is this pending match between Jimmy Havoc and LA PARK going to be under Loser Leaves Town rules like Callihan / Warner?

DBS vs, Thatcher was a damn good graps session.  

I've checked the dirtsheets and no one is identifying the Japanese worker / new CONTA member that misted one of the Von Erichs at the end of the Sprit Squad open workout.

Edited by J.T.