DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

I'm not doing it just yet considering G1 is going to be a thing for a couple weeks.  But after that I have to go back and check out when Contra Unit debuted.  The clips look wild and I can't wait to see more.

On 7/11/2019 at 3:36 PM, Cobra Commander said:

Also, Konnan somehow looks older than he looked 20 years ago. Which should be slightly difficult for somebody who was bald in the 90s. It’s like he decided to adopt the look of an old dude who runs a boxing gym.

He's been through the ringer. Kidney replacement and whatever the hell that thing on his stomach is that looks like Cuato from Total Recall, who knows what else...

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 4:36 PM, Cobra Commander said:

Also, Konnan somehow looks older than he looked 20 years ago. Which should be slightly difficult for somebody who was bald in the 90s. It’s like he decided to adopt the look of an old dude who runs a boxing gym.

yeah, feel free to mention some previous MLW for people (like me) who didn't see any of it before Kings of the Colosseum 

Ha, you mean he looks 20 years older than he did 20 years ago? 

Yeah, what are the best bouts that MLW has to offer over the course of their relaunch?  I've been watching for a couple months, but I've yet to see any matches that have stuck as real memorable.  Not to say there haven't been some good matches.  I really liked the Aries match with Adam Brooks from a couple weeks ago, but it wasn't really rave worthy.  

On 7/11/2019 at 1:08 PM, Cobra Commander said:

Cornette is what he is. I don't really actively seek out his "talking about AEW" Experience episodes. 

I appreciate the dissenting view.  In general, I appreciate his POV.  Jim can also be incredibly funny, but as somebody who has listened to those rants, I can honestly say they are full of holes and hypocrisy.  He sounds like a man child irrationally trolling everything Omega and the Bucks do.  And clearly not over their present work but rather passed silly exploits.  That said, and onto his TV work, not sure I wanna bash a heel commentator for being an asshole on a wrestling show - as some other commenters have.  Jim's color work in MLW has been really solid and added a lot to their shows.  All that said, it's hard to take seriously his word on AEW when he works for MLW - whom I like and appreciate, but clearly have all kinds of challenges in their presentation of their product, angles, etc.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Latest ep of MLW is on YouTube:

Spoiler

Dynasty has completed its sweep of Hart Foundation's gold, so I guess MJF will be sticking around the fed a while longer since he and Holliday are now Tag Champs.

Ace Austin avenged his loss to Air Wolf a few shows ago, so now it's time for a rubber match.

Has Ace Austin always used The Hand That Feeds by NIN as his entrance music in MLW? How is that allowed?

A backstage brawl filmed on a camera phone, and the TV camera only films the phone screen it's being watched on. That's innovative for wrestling.

Low Ki's instant knock out was better this week. Masvidal vs Askren without the run up. And filmed before that fight actually happened.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AxB said:

Has Ace Austin always used The Hand That Feeds by NIN as his entrance music in MLW? How is that allowed?

A backstage brawl filmed on a camera phone, and the TV camera only films the phone screen it's being watched on. That's innovative for wrestling.

Low Ki's instant knock out was better this week. Masvidal vs Askren without the run up. And filmed before that fight actually happened.

As far as I know, he's always used it in MLW. How is it allowed? My guess is MLW is too small for Trent Reznor to notice. Like Paul E. using licensed songs in ECW and Gabe in ROH.

Ha, was watching MLW while listening to the Callis/Jericho interview, but had to rewind and hear how Cornette would call that 'wrestlecrap' collapsable cane cheat from Ace Austin.  Ha, nothing on any AEW show has been even close to as bad as that spot.  

Further 'wrestlecrap' splattered throughout that main event.  As good as MJF is he still shows how green he is from time to time - did he punch the turnbuckle after Pillman moved and then bump backwards from said missed punch?  Couldn't quite make out wtf was going on there.  Further, I don't think I've ever seen a more blatant set-up for a double baseball slide into a team holding the ladder?  And the pinnacle, Pillman catapulting MJF into Teddy's chair, which Teddy uses to help lift the ladder so MJF makes no contact at all, huh?  That was one of the worst looking spots I've ever seen on a TV wrestling episode. 

All that and another Low Ki 10 second squash.  Ugh, let Ki kill these guys with a few moves first and then pin the opponent.  These knockouts are consistently killing the live crowd.  

I'm really pulling for MLW to grow and prosper, but as much as I like their roster their shows are so often so awkwardly bad.  They tape these shows! How do they not review their tapes and conclude 'we should probably not air this as it'll make the company look ridiculous'.   Don't be afraid to clip the matches - it's not live!  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Los Parks vs Dr Wagner Jr & El Hijo Del Dr wanger Jr (would that make him Dr Wagner III, or is that his brother or something?) was laid out exactly like a two out of three falls match, except they remembered to kick out of the first two falls. Having seen lots of Wagner in Japan, seeing him work a pure Mexican lucha match (in the USA) was different. 

Davey Jr vs Hammerstone was a pretty good strength vs strength match, but the finish made Smith look stupid. But then he's supposed to be his father's son, so fair enough.

It was neat seeing the main in front of Lucha fans.  I read that Chicago has a lot of them and it was pretty evident here.  Really fun match and I also liked the DBS/Hammerstone match.  It had an old school vibe but done in a pretty darn nice way.  And the Selina video to open the show was pretty goddamn neat which led to a nice promo from Mance.  Can't wait to see his match next week.

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Los Parks vs Dr Wagner Jr & El Hijo Del Dr wanger Jr (would that make him Dr Wagner III, or is that his brother or something?) was laid out exactly like a two out of three falls match, except they remembered to kick out of the first two falls. Having seen lots of Wagner in Japan, seeing him work a pure Mexican lucha match (in the USA) was different. 

Davey Jr vs Hammerstone was a pretty good strength vs strength match, but the finish made Smith look stupid. But then he's supposed to be his father's son, so fair enough.

You forgot all about Selena De La Renta's totally badass Evil Santaria Priestess promo.  That shit was hot fire!

Spoiler

Bestia 666 will join Promciones Dorado~!  So the Warner / PD feud will continue on a singles action track and we have solid confirmation that Sami is legit out (at least for now) since MLW has brought in the Wagners to feud with Los Parks.

I imagine that the Parks will also tangle with the Lucha Bros if they come back to the roster on the regular.

Richard Holiday's piece of the Dynasty promo was fucking great.   I will have to find a way to introduce "meat castle" into my lexicon of manly compliments.

I also dig how Holiday referred to fans as "consumers" in a derogatory manner.  It reminded me of how Heel Bob Backlund referred to the collective of wrestling grognards as "plebeians."  Holiday is admirably trying to integrate the Most Marketable gimmick into his promo work, but he needs to stick with those scripted lines until he is more comfortable with ad libbing. 

Holiday sounded a bit nervous at first after Hammerstone passed the mic to him.  it will pass with more practice.

MJF tells horrible jokes and comes off as a dick in not a good way rather than a heel in the best way  No wonder the balance of leadership in the Dynasty seems to be shifting to Hammerstone and Holliday.   Is MLW prepping the audience for MJW's possible permanent departure to AEW?

Holy fuck, but LA PARK's spear finisher is #1 and The Best...  You can almost see the target's soul exit the body when he gets hit.

I like how CONTRA is bucking the system, but I hope the book does not screw the pooch on the Jacob Fatu title reign by making him a sometimey champion.  I don't mind him working a "I'll defend the belt when I feel like it" gimmick, but they should avoid turning him into a paper tiger.  

He needs to be on my television fearlessly smashing dudes into pieces, but only when it best benefits the CONTRA agenda..

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

watching episode 67 right now.. just realized that DBS Jr looks more like Mike Awesome facially (without the mullet of course)

also good call to keep Georgia out of the camera frame for most of that interview.

Also, maskless Wagner Jr is up there with Blue Panther for old-looking old men who could beat the shit out of most of the general population.

Edited by Cobra Commander

As a fan of NOAH through their partnership with ROH going back to 2005, I'd love to see Naomichi Marufuji in MLW. Yes, it's 10-15 years later, but I'd like to see Marufuji vs. Aries and Marufuji vs. Low Ki for a potential Middleweight title shot.

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Screw that, Nakajima join CONTRA Unit is what I say.

Exactly my thoughts.  I am trying to decide which NOAH guy would best help CONTA continue it's international reign of terror.

Edited by J.T.

38 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Masa Kitamiya most likely. His look fits the modern foreign savage gimmick of two of the members.

Yeah, I was thinking either him or Minoru Tanaka since he's been in a shit ton of heel stables over his storied career, but Tanaka's worked mostly as a face / tweener in his last couple of appearances in MLW.

I remember him working Daga and Myron Reed in the past few months or so.

Edited by J.T.

I need to get up to speed with NOAH - any match recommendations of current roster stars?  This sounds like a great deal for both promotions.  

Pretty solid show this week. Hammerstone-Smith was solid until they got cute/idiotic with the no sell germans.  These  spots always derail my enjoyment - this one was somehow even worse.  Further, why the hell was Harry coming to the ring with a Canadian flag in Chicago?  So stupid.  And another weak nonsense ending.  MLW's programming would vastly improve simply by booking clean finishes.  Cookie cutter dated heel maneuvering isn't getting anybody heat.  Also, MLW or whichever promotion Davey Jr ends up in would be smart to pair him with a manager, and turn him heel.    

@J.T. you're on the money about MJF.  He's getting acclaim for his heel act in AEW, but he so often comes across as a cheap cartoon heel in MLW.  And I agree on Holiday's excellent promo.  

The Lucha match was solid.  The Selina promo was a solid effort - pretty cornball as per usual, but better.  Mance Warner is a fantastic and believable promo.  I'd love to see him cutting promos over more believable situations/better angles.  I'm really hoping he finds his way to AEW immediately.    

• Like 1