DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

Them Von Erich boys sure do throw some pretty ass dropkicks. The Claw/Backdrop combo is a cool double team finisher. I think the only way Ross & Marshall would impress me more is if one busted out Kevin's old suspended body scissors!

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

That main event was everything I ever want from a TV main event, goddam that was great and will guarantee I tune in next week.

I wasnt expecting much from the Von Erichs but this match protected them and made them look great at the same time.  They have a great look.  Loved everyone getting beat down at the end, refs, ring announcers, Alex Greenfield.

Everyone came away from that match looking like an ass kicking bad ass.

On a side note, I am twice the age of Jordan Oliver, but it seems like him, Reed and Swann would appeal to guys either younger or the same age, rebellious dudes sticking it to the authority.  They are almost the antithesis of the Rascalz, would be fun to seem them face off down the line somewhere.

• Like 3

Nice debut from the Von Erichs.  The clustery nature of it probably worked in their favour as they look pretty green.  As much as I've enjoyed the 'unstoppable' push of Jacob Fatu they may wanna ease it back - there's no way this guy isn't going to a main stage sooner than later.    

I'm all for building Ki up and having him perform squash matches, but this KO shit needs to be worked a lot better than it is.  Back to back WTF finishes.  Just feed him some of these tiny lower card guys and let them beautifully eat his offense.  

Jordan Oliver is pretty green but exhibits some heel fervor and ability.  They're going to need to keep finding guys and it seems like they know this.  A lot of their top roster isn't going to last for long.  I'd be surprised if the blacklisted Teddy (whom everyone is saying has matured.  We'll see on that), Ki and Aries don't get a contract offer from AEW sooner than later. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Listening to Corny do his usual rant about Kenny and the Bucks, and he dropped a point in there that brings me back to the Sami thing being a work. The Bucks admitting the chair was gimmicked set Corny off (shocking, I know). He says they should have talking about Spears being unprofessional and going into business for himself to throw some heat on the Spears-Cody match. 

Meanwhile, Corny works for MLW and does everything he can to sell Sami as an unprofessional mud-show jerk-off who they're definitely no longer doing business with after he lost a loser leaves town match. Hmm. Gee. I wonder...

• Like 1

With it being Austin Aries' company re-debut, and him facing someone new I'd never heard of, I was expecting a squash. But instead they took up almost half the show. Aries mostly looking dominant, but giving Brooks enough to keep it competitive. Then Jacob Fatu had a handicap match and killed both guy dead in seconds. Handspring Moonsault? Guy's an athletic freak. If he's anywhere close to the 6'2" 285 lbs they bill him as, he's going to be a huge star. Samael vs Lawlor, I was expecting a beatdown/ brawl rather than a match. And it basically was. Kind of Memphis, all punches and kicks. First time I've seen someone put an opponent against the ringpost to chop them and not miss and hurt their hand (except when they hit one, feel good about it and try another, missing that one). Bit underwhelming after last week's chaotic rampage.

Uncharacteristic to not have any Lucha matches this week.

I've gotten to the point that anything with Austin Aries is something I just have no interest in seeing.  On Youtube I played that on 2x speed just so I can get through it quicker.  I did like Fatu's squash and enjoyed the main event ending in brawling from a couple locations.  I don't care or Cornette but I do really love how into it gets when Contra Unit's on the screen.

I skimmed this episode, and liked what I saw.  I thought Aries looked really good.  He had some terrific looking offence (specifically that flying elbow to the back of the head) and the match was really strong.  Adam Brooks looked really good here too.  That was one of the better more logical and straight up wrestling matches I've seen on an MLW broadcast.  Strange how those tights made Aries lower body seem non-existent - like prosthetic Kerry Von Erich era, but from the waist down rather than just the boot. 

Jacob Fatu is an exciting performer.  If I'm not mistaken his father is Tama/Tonga Kid/Sam Fatu - who was pretty unbelievable too.  I suspect Jacob Fatu will be a national television main event talent some time from here till the next July 4th.

I couldn't really find any interest in the Lawlor-Samuels main.  I am however really digging this greenhorn Von Erichs team.  I find these shows a bit hit and miss, but regardless MLW is proving to be a solid old style territory.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I skimmed this episode, and liked what I saw.  I thought Aries looked really good.  He had some terrific looking offence (specifically that flying elbow to the back of the head) and the match was really strong.  Adam Brooks looked really good here too.  That was one of the better more logical and straight up wrestling matches I've seen on an MLW broadcast.  Strange how those tights made Aries lower body seem non-existent - like prosthetic Kerry Von Erich era, but from the waist down rather than just the boot. 

Jacob Fatu is an exciting performer.  If I'm not mistaken his father is Tama/Tonga Kid/Sam Fatu - who was pretty unbelievable too.  I suspect Jacob Fatu will be a national television main event talent some time from here till the next July 4th.

I couldn't really find any interest in the Lawlor-Samuels main.  I am however really digging this greenhorn Von Erichs team.  I find these shows a bit hit and miss, but regardless MLW is proving to be a solid old style territory.    

You are not mistaken. Tama is Jacob Fatu's father. He was at ringside for Jacob's match at Pancakes & Piledrivers over WM weekend.

• Like 1

Sam Fatu as Tonga Kid was one of the most exciting and talked about performers around the playground of my public school.  I was a bit late to the feud with Piper, but he still wore the name Tonga Kid.  I was very excited when he and Haku formed the Islanders.  Their heel run with Heenan and their subsequent kidnapping of Matilda was certainly a highlight.  I never saw him as Samoan Savage in WCW.  I always dug how explosive his offensive strikes could be, and his top rope splash was poetry in motion.  I suspect their may have been some personal struggles that kept him from performing more consistently into the 1990s.    

As good as he was his young'un Jacob looks like he has some serious potential to surpass the old man's legacy.  Tho, I am basing this off seeing him squash guys.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

My second week tuning in after trying MLW out for the first time last week.

It's been very enjoyable. A minor nitpick - I found Mance Warner's promos very entertaining, but I literally had to go to the MLW Roster page to figure out his name. Put it on a graphic on the screen if he's cutting promos every week?

15 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

My second week tuning in after trying MLW out for the first time last week.

It's been very enjoyable. A minor nitpick - I found Mance Warner's promos very entertaining, but I literally had to go to the MLW Roster page to figure out his name. Put it on a graphic on the screen if he's cutting promos every week?

TV Wrestling 101. Always assume that your audience has never seen the show before. It costs literally nothing to run screen graphics saying who is who. 

• Like 1

MLW announced via Sports Illustrated today that their first PPV will be held at Cicero Stadium in Cicero, Illinois on Saturday, November 2. The show is being called Saturday Night SuperFight and will cost $19.95.

Sports Illustrated noted that the PPV will be available on all cable and dish carriers in the United States and Canada, and MLW's Court Bauer is involved in conversations for a deal to stream worldwide.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:18 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm a moron for just now realizing they're ripping off the Ten Rings logo from Iron Man. 

Don't feel bad.  It took me one or two times to notice that the CONTRA logo is doctored from the Ten Rings.