DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

8 hours ago, DEAN said:

Yeah, that match was strange.  it's like they ran out of things to do and then remembered, "oh yeah. let's do that awesome shit,"

Possibly because they're young and used to traditional Lucha trios matches, their instincts are to do something really cool, and then tag out and let someone else take the spotlight. Singles matches are a completely different art form.

• Like 2

Jimmy Havoc being the voice of reason was fucking sweet.  YOU SMELL LIKE LIGHT BEERS~!  YOU BEEN DRINKIN LIGHT BEERS TONIGHT~?

I also agree with the sentiment of weirdness with the Horus / Flamita match.  Once it slowed down, it REALLY slowed down but then it picked up again and there was a shit ton of wonderful headdropping and high spots.  The Muscle Buster / Gutbuster was a nice near fall spot as was the Snap Hurracanrana from Horus after the forearm standoff.  I can dig the exhaustion booking for the finish, but it really felt like an obvious go home spot.  I think I would've preferred a flash finish for this match.

It broke my heart to see Low-Ki and Ricky Martinez beat the shit out of each other because I loved last week's tag-team squash.  That finish looked like a work.  It also makes me think that the Sicario might not be long for this fed.   Has he signed with AEW or something.  I'm curious about the timing of Daga's departure in relation to this match, because this may have been the set-up for Daga turning heel and getting pushed until he fucked up and lied about being on vacation when he was actually working dates in Mexico.  I could see the logic in Selina recruiting Daga for PD to take Low-Ki down following Martinez's failure but that went up in smoke a few days agon.

Callahan / Warner was the hardcore match that Lawlor / Havoc should've been.  Glorious violence.  Selina still has a viable tag-team in LA PARK and Son and there's been no blow off to the feud between them and the newly minted Mid-West Megapowers, so I can't believe that Sami is really gone.  I'm hoping that some Midnight Rider / Yellow Dog shenanigans takes place and Sami comes back in a mask or something.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Oh, I only did that when we didn't have a dedicated MLW thread and I thought I was the only guy watching the fed..  We can all discuss and review now.

I can't speak for others but I still really appreciate your reviews.  They're what got me to check out the show in the first place.

• Like 1

Sami Callihan is officially done

They were going to bring him back under a mask but apparently he damaged a bunch of property at the venue so that ended things

Watching the match it wasn't something I thought of at the time but looking back can definitely see what Court's referring to.  It's a shame because that was a pretty nice building with the dome roof and everything.  Hopefully they find a way to smooth things over if they try that area again.

As for the show itself it was pretty fun.  Flamita/Horus was clunky but had a ton of awesome stuff going on.  Ki's match wasn't much but the what it needed to accomplished.  And the FCA match was a bloody good time.  Can't wait for Lawlor/Von Erichs against Contra Unit next week as that should be pretty wild.

• Like 1

Well, that sucks.

I called the pending return under a mask, but it didn't take Nostradamus to divine the course of that booking.   I don't think there's been too many Loser Leaves Town matches where the loser doesn't come back as a masked worker.

That's kinda bullshit though. If you're concerned about property damage, why have a Falls Count Anywhere match?   Dudes are going to break shit during the course of the match.  It happens.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Sami Callihan is officially done

They were going to bring him back under a mask but apparently he damaged a bunch of property at the venue so that ended things

All that after he posted this...

At least he was honest with a fans question.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Well, that sucks.

I called the pending return under a mask, but it didn't take Nostradamus to divine the course of that booking.   I don't think there's been too many Loser Leaves Town matches where the loser doesn't come back as a masked worker.

That's kinda bullshit though. If you're concerned about property damage, why have a Falls Count Anywhere match?   Dudes are going to break shit during the course of the match.  It happens.

Break a $50 table and spill some popcorn?  Sure.  Do thousands of dollars worth of damage and ruin a relationship with the building?  Get fucked.

• Like 4

The Daga side of the story (via Tessa)

By Mike Johnson on 2019-06-18 14:10:00
As noted last week on PWInsider.com, Major League Wrestling dropped Daga from their roster, unhappy that he had told them he was unavailable for dates due to a vacation when they were starting a heel turn for him, only to learn he had wrestled in Mexico.

In speaking today with Tessa Blanchard, who is dating Daga, PWInsider.com was told that MLW was informed well in advance that Daga was not available for the date in question, 6/1, as he was going to be in Guadalajara, Mexico for the christening of Rey Fenix's son.  Fenix was involved in an event the next day in the same city and since Daga and Blanchard were in town for the christening, they stayed and worked the show as a favor for Fenix, as did Puma King, Pentagon Jr. and others who were in town for his son's christening.

Blanchard noted that Daga loved working for MLW and would still want to continue there if given the opportunity.    She also noted that one of his goals is to get more work this year inside the United States and there was concern that the MLW situation would lead to other promoters thinking Daga couldn't be trusted to take dates in the States.  She felt that there was a belief in MLW that Daga didn't take the date because he'd be more comfortable staying in Mexico, but he was only in Guadalajara for the christening.

PWInsider.com has reached out to MLW for comment and should they choose to respond, we will add it to this story.

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would think Daga either goes to Impact with Tessa or AEW given the AEW-AAA relationship.

I'm leaning towards Impact as they also have ties with AAA plus Tessa's there.  Once her contract ends then that may change unless they rope him into a long-term deal.

• Like 1

There was a Sami Callihan (vs Jimmy Jacobs) match on a Botchamania a few months ago, where Sami kept smashing chairs (nice chairs, not folding chairs) while the owner of the building got on the house mic and yelled at him to stop. And Callihan kept working and was all Fuck You, I can smash as many chairs as I want, I don't give a fuck. So the building owner said you pay for what you break, and Sami... stopped breaking chairs.

19 minutes ago, Peck said:

Corny and Callihan is the best feud in wrestling right now, bar none. I'm sitting back and enjoying both.  lol

My dream match is Jim Cornette vs. Jun Kasai.

...or to be fair to Corny, put him in with someone his own age...Atsushi Onita

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On 6/18/2019 at 3:30 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Cornette's commentary detracted from the main event, which was a really awesome hardcore match. I wish someone could reel Cornette in. Rich Bochinni was no help going along with Cornette's tired schtick. I'd love to see MLW put someone that's the complete opposite from Cornette with him or remove Corny all together.

Besides that I enjoyed this week's show. I wonder if Ricky Martinez was legit knocked loopy from Low-Ki's clothesline. I'd like it being built that Low-Ki could knock someone out with any move.

To be fair to Cornette, Callihan spat a load of water over him pre-match, which Cornette apparently had no idea he was going to do, so I think he kept his cool better than you'd expect. He didn't bury Callihan, putting over how hard he hit and his resilience, whilst also cheerleading for Mancer. Yes he called Sami a sick freak, but then Sami spat a massive gob in Mance's face and stapled his tongue to a door, so it's not an inaccurate description. Cornette's commentary is generally excellent on MLW, I think he's a massive boon to the show.

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Daga side of the story (via Tessa).

So now we have to call bullshit on Court's side of the story since all of the Lucha guys on the MLW roster can vouch for why Daga was in Mexico.   

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

So now we have to call bullshit on Court's side of the story since all of the Lucha guys on the MLW roster can vouch for why Daga was in Mexico.   

I mean you tell your employer you can't work a day because you're going on vacation and then end up working another show, I can understand if the employer doesn't care if you are doing it as a favor or not.

On 6/15/2019 at 5:49 AM, J.T. said:

He probably didn't want to work there anyway given the history of the booking with him and Low-Ki.

I imagine that Tessa is trying to get him a job working IMPACT and he's always got AAA and Lucha Underground.

Nobody has Lucha Underground

• Like 1

So basically we've learned that MLW contracts are terrible, but you can get out of them quite easily by annoying Court Bauer enough that he fires you.

• Like 2