DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

6 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Has Ace Austin always cos-played as Gambit, and has he incorporated an exploding playing card into his matches?

The guys in my office have given to referring to him as THE SON OFTHE GAMBLER~!

Since then, I've been hoping that Ace would break out The Gambler's old second rope fistdrop finisher as a near pinfall spot since fistdrops don't finish anyone off these days.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am loving the main event for next week's card.  How diabolically clever is Selina to put the two guys that have given her so much trouble in a match AGAINST each other in a Falls Count Anywhere / Loser Leaves Town match?  

I can't believe the book would break Mance and Sami up just after they finally came up with a name for themselves (MID-WEST MEGAPOWERS~!) so we'll see what happens.  I'm already calling for the match to be thrown out due to run-In so that both guys can remain on the roster.

Low-Ki and Ricky Martinez are going to beat the shit out of each other and I am also looking forward to the Flamita / Rey Horus match.

I am totally stoked about Lawlor vs. Fatu in the main event for Kings of Coliseum, but why is Lawlor depending on the Von Erichs for his back-up?  Low-Ki, Worlds Biggest Tag Team, and Lucha Brothers are among the short list of enemies so unless CONTRA does some heavy recruiting, they're already heavily outnumbered.

Jacob Fatu channeling Bernie Mac (I'LL BUST YO HEAD T'IL THE WHITE MEAT SHOWS~!) was Number One and The Best.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Going to a three matches in the hour format has really helped, in terms of letting us see what the guys can do. Four matches in an hour, even if one was sub three minutes, just felt squeezed, with promos and entrances and 'welcome back to the shows' as well. It's why WoS Wrestling didn't work. RevPro's TV was three matches in an hour and that was great.

• Like 2

I kinda figured that MJF would drop that match and the gimmick going forward would probably have Holliday and Hammerstone giving MJF the boot out of The Dynasty because he's not "a winner."

And Dear Lord, Air Wolf is going to kill someone with that fucking finisher one day.  Mad respect for Ace for taking that move, but I don't think that death selling was all kayfabe.  Wolf nearly broke Ace in fucking half with that Flying Icepick thing.

Edited by J.T.

It looked like Ace was trying to take a stunner bump by dropping to a seated position, but Wolf was giving him a Flatliner and trying to put his forehead into the mat. One of Austin's legs got caught under and his hamstring could have torn. Hopefully with his youth, his body's got enough stretchiness that he's not badly hurt. But any time you get the guy taking a move doing the wrong type of bump, it goes nastily wrong. Usually they land on their head.

By Mike Johnson on 2019-06-14 12:38:00
Lucha star Daga is done with Major League Wrestling, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

Daga, who had a short feud with Low Ki in the company, was booked for the promotion's 6/1 date in Wisconsin, but pulled out at the last second, citing that he had scheduled a vacation.

MLW later learned he was actually working dates in Mexico instead and have dropped him from all future bookings.

Daga was in line for a push with plans to be turned heel later this year.

Really enjoying MLW week to week and I agree with @LoneWolf&Subs in being impressed by their ability to create real stars on a shoestring budget and without relying on in-ring spectacles.

I do wonder if their niche will be taken by AEW once the TNT show starts. Or if they pivot even more towards the Lucha influence with LU over and the success of their Lucha-inspired and Hispanic acts.

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Cubs wrote about that today. He had dates before and after but not on that exact date. 

He probably didn't want to work there anyway given the history of the booking with him and Low-Ki.

I imagine that Tessa is trying to get him a job working IMPACT and he's always got AAA and Lucha Underground.

Edited by J.T.

19 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Contra Unit ending the “dickhead fans” argument once and for all!

To do that while Jacob Fatu, or any Samoan is out there is a special kind of stupid.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To do that while Jacob Fatu, or any Samoan is out is a special kind of stupid.

I love the fact Fatu insists he is dead by kicking him AND throwing a chair. 

You know, just to be sure

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I bet that guy never tries that again.

I bet that guy takes to twitter to complain about how the big bad man dared to physically touch him, then threatens to sue MLW and Fatu personally. Because that's what society has become. 

25 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Contra Unit ending the “dickhead fans” argument once and for all!

Looks like a work, honestly. The guy sells the attack with this slow floating underwater sell like a jobber on WWF Wrestling Challenge would. Looked cool none the less, but WCW’s fake fan attacks looked more believable.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

I bet that guy takes to twitter to complain about how the big bad man dared to physically touch him, then threatens to sue MLW and Fatu personally. Because that's what society has become. 

That, or he brags about it and wears it like a badge of honor.

• Like 1

Really liked the Flamita vs Rey Horus match, but the pacing was a bit unusual. I get slowing down after a speed rush segment, but grab a headlock or something, don't just stand there. The coming soon talent announcements were certainly unexpected, but they're big enough to be main Wrestling thread discussion. Bit of an abrupt finish to Ki vs Martinez. Being around Cornette brings the worst out of Callihan, I think. Not doing a lengthy review because I'm not stepping on J.T.'s toes.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AxB said:

Really liked the Flamita vs Rey Horus match, but the pacing was a bit unusual. I get slowing down after a speed rush segment, but grab a headlock or something, don't just stand there. The coming soon talent announcements were certainly unexpected, but they're big enough to be main Wrestling thread discussion. Bit of an abrupt finish to Ki vs Martinez. Being around Cornette brings the worst out of Callihan, I think. Not doing a lengthy review because I'm not stepping on J.T.'s toes.

Cornette's commentary detracted from the main event, which was a really awesome hardcore match. I wish someone could reel Cornette in. Rich Bochinni was no help going along with Cornette's tired schtick. I'd love to see MLW put someone that's the complete opposite from Cornette with him or remove Corny all together.

Besides that I enjoyed this week's show. I wonder if Ricky Martinez was legit knocked loopy from Low-Ki's clothesline. I'd like it being built that Low-Ki could knock someone out with any move.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Really liked the Flamita vs Rey Horus match, but the pacing was a bit unusual. I get slowing down after a speed rush segment, but grab a headlock or something, don't just stand there. 

Yeah, that match was strange.  it's like they ran out of things to do and then remembered, "oh yeah. let's do that awesome shit,"

9 hours ago, AxB said:

I think. Not doing a lengthy review because I'm not stepping on J.T.'s toes.

Oh, I only did that when we didn't have a dedicated MLW thread and I thought I was the only guy watching the fed..  We can all discuss and review now.