DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

55 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Such a great episode of MLW with Contra Running wild! It will be interesting to see if we do get a War Games will Low Ki join Ole Mancer & The Draw's team. 

What if Selena were to do business with Simon Gotch again?

Filthy Tom, 'Ol Mancer, Sami & Low-Ki vs. Contra & LA PARK. I want to see that.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Such a great episode of MLW with Contra Running wild! It will be interesting to see if we do get a War Games will Low Ki join Ole Mancer & The Draw's team. 

That show was the best.  The swerve within a swerve in the PD match was pretty sweet.  Low-Ki and El Sicario had one of the best booked squash matches I have seen in a long time only for CONTRA to beat down Low-Ki and kick off his face turn.

I thought for sure that Ki and Martinez would be making a run for the belts after the serious assbeating they handed out, but that wasn't the case.  They looked really impressive.

My only problem with the All CONTRA All The Time deal is that there are only three core members of the unit and they have managed to piss off the Lucha Brothers, Low-Ki, The Hellbillies, the Second Biggest Tag Team of All Times, and the MLW Heavyweight Champion..

Unless CONTRA adds on three or four members, the forces that are available to unite against them will be overwhelming unless CONTRA makes a drug deal with PD and Selina and get support from the PARKAs and El Sicario.

Even then, they will be two men short.

Lawlor managed to have an entertaining match with the Avalanche.  I like how Tom kept his offense very shooty yet managed to get some psychology in by breaking Dreissker's base down before going with heavier moves and punishing kicks.  I also dug his knee strike set-up move for his worked RNC finisher and good on Lawlor to remember kayfabe rules and keep his shoulders off of the mat to avoid being pinned while using his finisher.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Contra Unit is a goddamn great stable.  I get what was said about the numbers game but them tearing through a lot of the roster was a great theme throughout the show.  I think my favorite one was the fireball where they show a still shot of the guy throwing it and Fenix about to get burnt.  So vile and dastardly and I loved every bit of that.

• Like 2

How many episodes did they tape Mania weekend? No wonder Corny needed so many Cheeseburgers. 

I liked the way how, not only were Contra all over the show, but their logo kept buzzing onto the screen like they were hacking the broadcast or something. Continuity was a bit off though. They were in their ring gear, then changed into street clothes, then put their gear back on, then Gotch had his gear but regular shoes not his boots, then his boots were back on...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AxB said:

How many episodes did they tape Mania weekend? No wonder Corny needed so many Cheeseburgers. 

I liked the way how, not only were Contra all over the show, but their logo kept buzzing onto the screen like they were hacking the broadcast or something. Continuity was a bit off though. They were in their ring gear, then changed into street clothes, then put their gear back on, then Gotch had his gear but regular shoes not his boots, then his boots were back on...

I loved that part. It gave it a very nWo feel, but more violent and obviously, much cooler.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:47 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Great show. I was thinking "well at least he had a mask on" until old girl described the flesh tearing off with the mask. Good work!

Yeah.  I didn't give nearly enough love to the backstage interview girl that sold the ambush.  She is the goods.

And I totally agree with the mad props for the production.  The inundation of the logo on the viewscreens added to the atmosphere that CONTRA was an invading force and that there are sinister forces at work behind these three men.  That's what leads me to believe that there might be future additions to the stable.

Not that they need any more members given that all three men are being booked like wrecking balls.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's double weird to see Moustache Boy with them. I didn't recognize that dude at all.

He was a member of Team Filthy with Fred Yehi before Lawlor's stable broke up and Gotch ran solo.  I also didn't recognize him without his Vaudevillain signature moustache.

It was really cool to see how the violence kept losers and winners booked strong. 

Sure, Hughes and Romero dropped a match, but at least it was via chicanery and international objects vs, Barrington Hughes just inexplicably dropping a solo contest to Jacob Fatu after being on a two year unbeaten streak.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, J.T. said:

He was a member of Team Filthy with Fred Yehi

I want Yehi to come back to MLW.  First saw him in one of Pro Wrestling EGO's Great Southern 8 tournaments. In Yehi's early years he would work for EGO a few times. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 7:59 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Oh man, I just realized that all this Contra stuff might be leading into WarGames. If this is the case, then this might be the most natural angle leading into that gimmick in a long time. 

They announced “War Chamber” for their show in Dallas on 9/7/19

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

They announced “War Chamber” for their show in Dallas on 9/7/19

So if it's five on five or four on four, then it would probably be Lawlor / Low Ki / some combination of WHTT or Lucha Bros  vs. some combination of CONTRA and PD.

My thoughts:

Spoiler
  • PA must be broken.  No opening music for anyone.
  • Gringo Loco vs. Myron Reed was pretty good as far as curtain jerkers go.  That Avalance Falcon Arrow really should've been the finish, but the book had the decency to remember Myron's #justice angle and used that to feed the real finish.  Loco gets a win and Myron gets the last word via cheat to keep both guys booked strong and keep the story going.
  • There will be another Selena De La Renta helmed PD show on June 15th?  FUCK YEAH~!
  • Pillman Jr. went full Pillman Sr. tribute mode for this match, didn't he?  I think I enjoyed that match more than I should have.  Hammerstone gets the duke and is your brand new National Openweight Champion.  I did not expect that.  I totally thought belt was Pillman's for the winning.
  • Teddy Hart is finally flying Hart Foundation colors.  I normally hate the Canadian Destroyer, but it seemed to work as a momentum driven counter move.  Teddy kills Havoc with Hammerlock DDT onto a steel chair for the win.  The finish does not bother me even though the Hart Foundation is a very title heavy stable.  I thought it would annoy me if they didn't put the belt on Havoc to give him a much needed high profile win and spread the championships around but given the Pier Six brawl at the end of the match,  I'm guessing that either MJF will lift the Middleweight title off of Teddy at some point or MJF and Holiday will get the tag straps.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I thought it was interesting that neither Pillman, Jr. nor Havoc won their respective titles.  Havoc's signed full-time with AEW but I wonder if Pillman's involvement in the battle royal was a factor.  For all I know I could be reading too much into this and with Pillman the money's in the chase.

Now one thing that is for certain is the Contra Unit was all kinds of fantastic and I need so much more of this in my wrestling.  Heinous villains kidnapping the top star and cutting his hair warmed my cold, dark heart. 

• Like 5

Good show. I liked only having the three matches, because they all had time. Cornette was actually really good at selling how horrifying he thought the Contra kidnapping Tom Lawlor was. Made the angle so much more impactful,  that he seemed so disgusted and repulsed by it.

• Like 1

Hammerstone reminds me a lot of (a modern) Shane Douglas, right down the promo.  I keep forgetting that Pillman Jr is still to all intents and purposes a rookie, he’s getting really fun to watch really quickly. 

The Contra segment was the most pro wrestling thing of all pro wrestling. That was great. Lawler is really growing on me as a character as well. 

Edited by Ultimo Necro
  • Like 1

Spoiler

I think that Pillman is still too green to be singles champ + if he won then Hart Foundation would have almost all belts.

As for Havoc not winning, good, I hope that they stop booking him and quality of the shows increases simply by him not being there.

Come about September or October, Jimmy Havoc (and MJF) won't be in MLW any more. Before that, most likely they get pushed, so whoever puts them out gets the rub from it.