DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Does @J.T. know we have a dedicated MLW thread now?

Nope.  Did we really need one?  I can see ROH and AEW needing their own threads, but a special thing for MLW doesn't seem necessary.

Oh well.  I can post further recaps there if no one beats me to the punch..

Edited by J.T.

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Nope.  Did we really need one?  I can see ROH and AEW needing their own threads, but a special thing for MLW doesn't seem necessary.

Considering MLW generates more discussion now than both those feds combined - yes it is necessary

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Does MLW really generate more discussion than AEW? We've had like 4 AEW threads, plus the actual PPV show thread.

My thoughts.  For a while there, I though I was the only person talking MLW,

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

Does MLW really generate more discussion than AEW? We've had like 4 AEW threads, plus the actual PPV show thread.

We've had 4 threads because they keep getting locked.

Just now, Raziel said:

We've had 4 threads because they keep getting locked.

Doesn't change the fact that every single one of them has had pages in the double digits. Even the PPV thread is on page 12, and it was started like 20 days ago. That's already half way to the amount of discussion ROH has got in it's own thread (that was started in January).

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

My thoughts.  For a while there, I though I was the only person talking MLW,

Because no one was talking about it in "the proper place" if you will

It was in the general thread, pretty much any thread where an indie guy got signed, etc..

Just wanted to point out that while others talking about MLW got me interested the more read J.T.'s reviews the more I ended up being sold on the show.  Great stuff, sir and I had a feeling that Daga/Tanaka match would get that kind of reaction.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:27 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

I absolutely love Jacob Fatu and see why others dig him so much.  Was expecting a competitive match against Hughes but squashing him like that was unexpected and awesome.  And Airwolf beating Fenix is a helluva way to increase his star power.  You could sense it was gonna happen with how they were talking about the possibilities on commentary.  Now I'm curious to see how they capitalize on it.  And him coming out the Airwolf theme is fantastic.

Yeah, I have to hand it to Rey Fenix and Barrington Hughes to sacrifice some rep for the sake of putting over new talent. 

It is a big ask for a guy to give up an unbeaten streak and Hughes has been on one for two fucking years.  He's never held a title in MLW, so he gave up the only claim to fame he had in the organization so that Fatu could go over strong.

I am still praying for the day when the book turns Lance Anoa'i heel and pairs him up with Jacob Fatu. 

I'd prefer to see SST 2.0 represent CONTRA and go after the MLW tag title belts rather than WARBeast.

I say this selfishly because I believe that the world needs more Josef Samael singles matches where he uses the loaded boot spot to secure victory.

Speaking of wins, they need to book Daga a fucking high profile W.  I understand the logic of putting Low-Ki and Tanaka over Daga and there is no shame in Daga dropping matches to the former (and dominant) MLW champ or fucking Puroesu royalty, but poor Daga really does need his hand raised in victory on television really fucking soon and that worked Twister neck crank he slapped on Tanaka could be his finisher.

The MLW book could extend some freshness dates by booking Daga over Low-Ki in the final match of their trifecta and also book a double turn angle where Daga turns heel and hooks up with PD after the win at the same time that Low Ki turns face quits the stable, but that sounds too much like the right thing to do.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I was thinking the same re: Daga while watching this weeks show, Tanaka is great but probably wont be back in MLW until a Mania weekend if at all, where it seems like they are pushing Daga.  The dude needs a big win.

• Like 1

I think for Daga it's a matter of when he'll get that big win and not if.  Don't recall if he's on Fury Road but I could see him getting that big win on one of the three shows they've been hyping.  I would need to watch more to see who would be a good person for him to go over though.

• Like 1

Thank God Court Bauer learned from the mistakes of the first run, cuz this revival is a completely different company. I mean that with no disrespect this MLW just seems more like what Court wanted the first attempt to be.

Promociones Dorado theme is the instrumental to Wu-Tang's Uzi (Pinky Ring) so they may be my favorite team in MLW. 

I can't remember who wrote it on the first page but the opener is mostly a brawl on the outside. I didn't dislike it as much as that person did. I will agree on this part it did kind of just go from outside brawl to tag team match all of a sudden.

First time seeing La Parkas son wrestle. Dude aint bad. Liked the flying dive he did off the stage onto was it Mance Warner or Sami Calihan? can't remember but the move was tight.

Never seen Daga before all I know about him is he dates Tessa Blanchard. 

That being said I did like Daga vs Tanaka. That shoot/grapple/Cruiser/high flying hybrid style is my favorite kind of wrestling and thats what this match was. Tanaka's cross armbreaker pin combo finish was pretty cool and innovative way to pin your opponent. 

Whoever said it I see the Davey Richards comparison with Daga with the haircut, the height and body type but Daga doesn't seem to sacrifice in ring psychology for the sake of a cool looking move like Davey Richards would do frequently.

I just started watching Fusion last week so I didn't understand the magnitude of Hughes streak but that Contra promo/video package did a good job of showing what a big deal it was that Jacob Fatu ended the streak in record fashion. Also Contra feels like an old school heel stable equipped with cigar chomping manager. I love it.

Based on that promo alone Tom Lawlor is the perfect World Champion, credible with a legit combat sports background, he's a tough guy world beater who doesn't back away from a fight and prefers a challenge. He can talk too.

I may prefer Heel Rich Swann over Face Rich Swann.

Pillman Jr is gonna be a star in this business. Dude has it. First time seeing him wrestle and i'm a fan. That Dropkick to Reed through the ropes, aces.

The match was cool I liked it but was the finish an angle to build to Swann vs the ref? I'm not the biggest fan of ref angles.

Fusion is an awesome hour of TV. I'm having a crisis of faith with WWE right now. MLW is what I like my wrestling promotion to be. It's restoring my love for wrestling.

• Like 3

That was me noting some similarities between Daga and Davey.

The issue with Rich Swann and Myron Reed with the ref has been building for some time. It started with Swann. Swann smacked Rich Bocchini when Bocchini tried to interview to him after a loss, which Swann blamed on the same referee. Swann was suspended and Myron Reed would come out with tape over his mouth saying Justice for Swann or Free Swann, something along those lines. They're basically saying the refs are racially biased against them without actually coming out and saying it.

I got the racial bias thing, It's not a bad angle per say. I just don't know if i like the idea of Rich Swann vs a ref that looks a like a 50 year old man. It looks bush league to me but I don't know the backstory I just saw the ref shove Swann in a match not the build to why the ref is compelled to push a wrestler during a match.

21 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I got the racial bias thing, It's not a bad angle per say. I just don't know if i like the idea of Rich Swann vs a ref that looks a like a 50 year old man. It looks bush league to me but I don't know the backstory I just saw the ref shove Swann in a match not the build to why the ref is compelled to push a wrestler during a match.

Yeah, it's been the same ref, so he's finally reaching his breaking point.

I can't watch this week's MLW show until it goes up on youtube tomorrow, but it sounds awesome from the Observer's spoilers.

https://www.f4wonline.com/mlw-results/mlw-fusion-results-filthy-tom-vs-avalanche-world-title-match-284601

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Really fun episode this week. It was the biggest push for Contra since their debut with them appearing in almost every segment sending a message to the entire locker room. I even liked a “Filthy” Tom match as champ surprisingly on this episode. Him, and Avalanche had great chemistry in the ring.

Side note: I never realized how short Jacob Fatu was until I saw him standing near Simon Gotch(Who almost looks unrecognizable without the old timey mustache). 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Side note: I never realized how short Jacob Fatu was until I saw him standing near Simon Gotch(Who almost looks unrecognizable without the old timey mustache). 

His Wikipedia page says that he's 6'2". That is being extremely generous. I would be shocked if he's even 5'10".

8 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Really fun episode this week. It was the biggest push for Contra since their debut with them appearing in almost every segment sending a message to the entire locker room. I even liked a “Filthy” Tom match as champ surprisingly on this episode. Him, and Avalanche had great chemistry in the ring.

I loved Contra running wild on everybody. I want Contra holding gold at some point, most likely the tag titles. I think Simon sans moustache works for Contra. If he still had it, it might make him feel like a caricature and make Contra feel a little hokey. That said, I still love the Rollie Fingers 'stache, but I don't want Vaudevillains Simon in Contra. I like the bad ass shooter who associates with maniacs.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Kaci Lennox gently describing flesh falling off a face from a fireball like it was one of Jerry Springer's Final Thoughts was something I could have done without. Terrible emotion. 

• Haha 1