DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

Considering how many of you are watching it (which seems a higher rate than ROH or Impact) - here is its own dedicated thread

MLW's show in Waukesha, Wisconsin next month will include both a live special and television tapings.

It was announced last night that MLW's next live special on beIN Sports will air at 9 p.m. Eastern time on Saturday, June 1. The special is called Fury Road and will take place from the Waukesha County Expo Center.

Two title matches are set for the live special. Teddy Hart will defend his Middleweight Championship against Jimmy Havoc, and the finals of MLW's National Openweight Championship tournament will also air on the special.

Alexander Hammerstone advanced to the finals of the National Openweight title tournament by defeating Gringo Loco. Hammerstone will face the winner of Rich Swan vs. Brian Pillman Jr., which is airing on this week's episode of MLW Fusion.

The June 1 tapings will also feature Tom Lawlor, Ross Von Erich & Marshall Von Erich vs. Contra Unit (Jacob Fatu, Josef Samael & Simon Gotch), Sami Callihan vs. Mance Warner in a falls count anywhere match, Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. MJF, and the MLW debut of Adam Brooks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most recent episode was fun. I like what I've seen of Hammerstone so far, which is only two or three matches to be fair. Minor research says he's been working Arizona indies which I guess I didn't even know existed. And I was surprised but not upset at all to see Fatu squash Barrington Hughes. They're really throwing their all behind Jacob and he's earning it. So that's two talented heavyweights they're grooming. If MLW can keep them around I think they could both be big players. No idea about contracts or anything like that, but I imagine somebody with money will coming knocking for one of those guys soon.

I watched this week's episode of Fusion. First time watching MLW since the revamp. I really like this show, the roster and the promotion. 

The show looked great aesthetically. I liked the building and the set up.

This is pro wrestling presented as sport and I like it. tons of promos that further storylines and character progression in under a minute.

The wrestling was fun. Idk who Airwolf is but he put his working boots on against Fenix that was a tight way to start the show. I like that Ariel Dominguez kid, they are building him up to be the next great underdog star.

Teddy Hart cutting a promo in a hotel room while petting his cat was great especially when Harry started laughing halfway through, he pulled a Jimmy Fallon and broke. 

Hammerstone I saw wrestle an Xpolosion match at that Impact taping i went to in Vegas back in November. Gringo Loco I know from AIW. That the match cool.

I'll be watching next week. I wanna see Pillmen vs Swann.

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Idk who Airwolf is but he put his working boots on against Fenix that was a tight way to start the show.

Airwolf is from Minneapolis. He was the first graduate from Ken Anderson's school and made his debut in August 2017. He's worked for Arik Cannon's F1rst Wrestling, GCW, Chikara, AAW, IWA-MS, and a joint Impact/Wrestling Revolver show.

http://www.profightdb.com/wrestlers/air-wolf-13929.html

• Thanks 1

Salina De La Renta: "They're talking about making a reality show for me." Low Ki: "So the promoter is becoming the star. Where have I seen that before?"

• Like 1

I absolutely love Jacob Fatu and see why others dig him so much.  Was expecting a competitive match against Hughes but squashing him like that was unexpected and awesome.  And Airwolf beating Fenix is a helluva way to increase his star power.  You could sense it was gonna happen with how they were talking about the possibilities on commentary.  Now I'm curious to see how they capitalize on it.  And him coming out the Airwolf theme is fantastic.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:56 AM, Loki said:

Most of the Teddy Hart backstage segments remind me of something from Trailer Park Boys. To me, that's a good thing.

I almost died during the interview in the Foundation's hotel room where he kept throwing the damn cat in the air and just kept talking like it was nothing. And then they cut to Harry who is about to explode trying to keep from laughing.

• Like 4

I really liked Daga vs Tanaka, except for the magical healing leg damage sections. Where one minute you can barely stand, and certainly can't run, and then suddenly you can flying kick. But it was good. Swann vs Pillman the Second was pretty good, but it wasn't a patch on Swann vs Elgin from Friday's Impact. 

Couldn't get into the opener though. Felt like I'd already seen it done better. Generic brawl, with a sudden "I went to a fight and a game of Hockey broke out" spot during the adverts.

I enjoyed this week's show. I liked 'Ol Mancer and Sami vs. Promociones Dorado. With LA PARK getting involved and Selina's lack of attention to Low-Ki, it definitely feels like we're going to get Sami/Warner/Low-Ki vs. Promociones Dorado. 

I liked Daga vs. Minoru Tanaka. I loved the finish. Maybe it's just me, but Daga reminds me of Davey Richards. When active, Davey worked a similar style and a lot of Daga's mannerisms remind of Davey. I never hated Richards like others here did, so I don't mind seeing it in Daga. I'd like to see Daga get a title push in the future.

I really enjoy heel Swann in MLW. It's a nice contrast to his face work in Impact. I liked the match with Pillman. I think Pillman and Swann could have a really good match without the extracurricular activities.

I'm looking forward to next week's show, as everything with Contra has been awesome so far, and Tom Lawlor/Robert Dreissker.

Fusion is pretty much the perfect one hour wrestling show.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

That Swan Vs. Pillman was such a throwback. Swan’s heel work was straight out of the territory days. Jawing with the crowd, using heel tactics behind the refs back, manager interfering... The finish even reflected that. None of the zero heel work you’ve seen with somebody like Sami, who ignores it to do 50 super moves to an opponent. The only thing was the crowd wasn’t really behind it, but you have to do it more to get back into this work.

I wonder if they put Cornette on the booking committee. This match screamed him.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Also, they pretty much revealed “Filthy” Tom’s expiration date as champ when they showed that DBS Jr. won a “Who should get a title match” poll. I say, thank God. “Filthy” Tom’s run as champ has dragged whatever reputation MLW wants to be taken seriously as a promotion. DBS Jr. is the perfect guy to do it with off the backs of the popular Hart Foundation stable, and he’s a great worker to boot. I always knew Smith had the ability, but just needed the right opportunity. It never came in NJPW, or NOAH. This right here is the moment for him. He also has so many potential guys lined up for it. LA Park, Hammerstone, MJF, Low-Ki, Contra Unit, and probably more. 

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Also, they pretty much revealed “Filthy” Tom’s expiration date as champ when they showed that DBS Jr. won a “Who should get a title match” poll. I say, thank God. “Filthy” Tom’s run as champ has dragged whatever reputation MLW wants to be taken seriously as a promotion. DBS Jr. is the perfect guy to do it with off the backs of the popular Hart Foundation stable, and he’s a great worker to boot. I always knew Smith had the ability, but just needed the right opportunity. It never came in NJPW, or NOAH. This right here is the moment for him. He also has so many potential guys lined up for it. LA Park, Hammerstone, MJF, Low-Ki, Contra Unit, and probably more. 

I have a soft spot for Filthy due to his stuff on the F4W shows.  Haven't seen much of him as a wrestler but will get an idea next week.

I can get fully behind a show that has Mance and Sami driving construction equipment to the liquor store.  If they somehow pulled up to one in that I would have lost my shit.  And I already like Mance a ton with his love for lariats and light beer.  I also really liked Daga/Tanaka a lot.

Tom’s completely miscast. He’s presented like a Ken Shamrock super tough guy with championship momentum. I get it, he does have a legit MMA background, and is a badass, but I don’t buy him doing it in a pro wrestling setting, like the Matt Riddle’s of the world. Also his offense looks rough.

I haven't paid attention to Minoru Tanaka in prolly 10 years but I really dug the Daga match.  Total Worldwide 97 feel.

Latest ep of MLW.

• HOLY FUCK, LOOK AT THAT FUCKING CARD~!!!
  • The Hellbilly Deluxe Death Squad pulls Sicario and PARK The Younger in the curtain jerker.  The inserted vignette works to a certain extent but it reeks of being a rejected Dem Boyz promo.  It is on like fucking Donkey Kong from the get go, though, and these guys beat the living shit out of each other.  God, I am so happy the ref is letting this Texas dog whipping  just fucking go.  Hey this thing is finally getting into the ring.. uh, no it's not.  Okay, now it's finally in the ring.  Jim Cornette brings up the interesting point of why is Sami suddenly following the rules of the match given his history of chicanery?  Mance and Sami do their best Morton and Gibson impression but that piledriver finish sure ain't vintage R&R.  Martinez rolls around a bit the ring a bit to show everyone that he is not dead.  The fake EMTs can return their WW2 era stretcher to its secure position.  Shit breaks down in the post match and it is glorious.  This feud is not over by a longshot.  It goes into the backstage area and then its full blown Tupelo Concession Stand city. I hope this feud lasts a thousand years.  God bless, MLW.  God bless Selena De La Renta and Promociones Dorado.
  • Austin Aries is coming.  Big fucking whoop.
  • Minoru Tanaka is working Daga.  This has the potential to be a pants destroying match.  Talk about a contrast in styles between this match and the opener.  Standing switches, waistlocks, roll outs.  Nice & scientific but Cornett wisely notes that eventually some heavy blows will be thrown and yep, here come the kicks and subs.  Minoru's floatover into the Fujiwara neary makes me cry, but Daga knowing the real life counter to the hold draws fresh tears from my eyes. My MMA IQ is mildly offended when the other announcer refers to Daga's attempt at a worked Twister submission as a Rear Naked Choke.  Uh, it is locked in Cornette.  It is not a fucking blocked Weaver Hold, man.  I mark for Cornette talking about Daga being trained by Negro Navarro and Black Terry.  Okay, we have entered the high impact portion of the match!  Unlike Low Ki, Tanaka is indeed concerned about Daga's mobility and stays on the fucking leg.  Daga barely sells his leg during a hope spot, but we will be generous and chalk that up to adrenaline.. uh.. epinephrine... whatever.  Holy Fuck!  That kick wasn't a finish, but it probably should have been. What a match so far!  What the fuck are these two men doing working their hearts out in a building that is not Korakuen Hall or the Hammerstein Ballroom.  I kinda hate this audience of entitled, unappreciative pleebs.  THAT FINISH WAS FUCKING BANANAS~!!!  I am nearly spent.  My pants are indeed destroyed.  Fuck that crowd.  They are the worst.
  • MJF takes to social media to worked shoot on the Von Erichs.  How very millennial.
  • Hey, it's the Fury Road card!  I love how they aren't even bothering to refer to Teddy Hart's title defense against Jimmy Havoc as a wrestling match.  It is a FIGHT~!  Myron Reed vs. Gringo Loco sounds okay on paper.  Why are they fronting like like Pillman vs. Hammestone won't be the main event?  It does not take Nostradamus to foresee the booking future.
  • CONTRA PROMO~!  FUCK YEAH~!  Remember when Simon Gotch was a Vaudevillain?  NEITHER DO I~!  CONTRA UNIT, MOTHER FUCKERS~!
  • I am not crazy about the Tom Lawlor championship experiment, but at least he knows how to sell his opponents.
  • Pillman vs. Swann will need Aubrey Plaza wearing a pair of Daisy Dukes to come out as the Special Guest Ref for it to stack up against the first two matches on this card.  B'MORE REPRESENT~!  I will pull for Rich even though I know Pillman will probably win this.  Pillman is waaaaaaaaay over.  Why is the ref checking Rich Swann and not Pillman?  WHY IS THE WHITE MAN ALWAYS TRYING TO KEEP US DOWN~!  But yeah, I don't recall Pillman ever using international objects to secure victory.  Okay, so this one is going to start off in the opposite manner of the Daga - Tanaka match.  Perhaps they should chose to mimic it instead since that match fucking ruled?  We are living in a world where Rich Swann is outheeling Brian fucking Pillman Jr.  That back body drop spot was pretty swank and those fucking kicks are hurting me when they smack.  RIP Myron Reed.  Or not!  I hate the ten punches in the corner spot anyway.  Finally we break away from the Pillman smug tweener show and get into some heel chicanery.  I am dumb and finally notice that Swann is wearing Hart Foundation colors and Pillman is not.  It is a night of brutal kicks. God bless, Rich Swann.  I'll give Pillman this.  He is doing everyone the courtesy of selling Rich Swann's strikes as if he were being hit by a baseball bat.  Oh shit.  Messing with the ref is going to cost Swann.. and it does.  Pillman vs. Hammerstone, folks., for the NEVER.. uh..  MLW National Openweight Title at Fury Road.....   as if there was any doubt.  I really enjoyed this match despite my continued misgivings when it comes to Pillman working face.
  • Hammerstein's promo isn't half bad.  I wince as he refers to Pillman's dad in present tense rather than past tense.  The final insult will certainly make this bout very personal.  God bless, Hammerstone, for doing his best to sell this upcoming train wreck.
Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1