DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

At first I thought, "well it makes sense, since both are under the same umbrella."  Then I realized that it shouldn't matter and is not the case anywhere else.  For example, NFL and CBS have a contract, but Viacom (CBS) owns Pluto now, and Pluto airs the Stadium channel, which airs Indoor Football League games.  I'm positive there must be many more examples where somebody else with a major league sports contract is airing the most minor of minor league content somewhere else in their corporate family tree and, with all these conglomerates buying out these streaming outlets, this kind of thing is only going to get more common. 

The only difference is the NFL's ownership as a whole isn't as petty, insecure, or carny as WWE's, who talks out both sides of their mouth about who their "competition" is.  Vince wants dress up his company in corporate clothes, to act like Marvel and be accepted as a high-end corporate content provider, but can't resist the urge to get in the mud and squash even the smallest companies like it's still 1986.  It must be hell to be a millionaire closer to the end of life than the beginning, and instead of enjoying all you've built, you wake up every day worrying about who might take 1% of 1% of 1% away from you. 

TL:DR more powerful content providers aren't pulling the shit Vince is pulling because he's petty and he sucks but he's going to die miserable and that's cool.

Edited by Technico Support

Vince pushing down MLW is pretty stupid given that workers like Hammerstone, Calvin Tankman, and Jacob Fatu are prime WWE candidates and would fit in perfectly within that organization.

Taking the bread off of their tables by denying MLW business opportunities will just push them to make handshake alliances with UWN, the NWA, or even AEW.  

If they are keeping their eye on an indie fed to undermine or control, it should probably be UWN since Zoey Stark, Max Caster, and a host of other workers have effectively used it as a springboard to WWE, RoH, and AEW.  It is the weird proving ground for up and coming talent.  Mike Bennett and Jonathan Gresham are slumming it in CWFA wrestling main events, FFS.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 7:55 AM, J.T. said:

•Caribbean Championship: Richard Holliday vs. King Muertes

•Opera Cup Opening Round: Matt Cross vs. Calvin Tankman

•Nicole Savoy vs. Holidead

Matt Cross/Calvin Tankman was pretty good.  Nicole Savoy/Holidead was kinda heatless.  Holliday/Banderas was perfectly fine.  None of it came close to the last three main events from CWFATL.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 2:32 PM, Technico Support said:

At first I thought, "well it makes sense, since both are under the same umbrella."  Then I realized that it shouldn't matter and is not the case anywhere else.  For example, NFL and CBS have a contract, but Viacom (CBS) owns Pluto now, and Pluto airs the Stadium channel, which airs Indoor Football League games.  I'm positive there must be many more examples where somebody else with a major league sports contract is airing the most minor of minor league content somewhere else in their corporate family tree and, with all these conglomerates buying out these streaming outlets, this kind of thing is only going to get more common. 

The only difference is the NFL's ownership as a whole isn't as petty, insecure, or carny as WWE's, who talks out both sides of their mouth about who their "competition" is.  Vince wants dress up his company in corporate clothes, to act like Marvel and be accepted as a high-end corporate content provider, but can't resist the urge to get in the mud and squash even the smallest companies like it's still 1986.  It must be hell to be a millionaire closer to the end of life than the beginning, and instead of enjoying all you've built, you wake up every day worrying about who might take 1% of 1% of 1% away from you. 

TL:DR more powerful content providers aren't pulling the shit Vince is pulling because he's petty and he sucks but he's going to die miserable and that's cool.

On of the big selling points of UFC Fight Pass is that not only do you get the entire UFC library, but also the entire Pride, WEC, Cage Warriors, et cetera libraries. And lots of non-UFC companies stream live on there. Basically everything except Bellator and Invicta (who were on there, but left).

• Like 1

The card for tonight's MLW Hybrid:

•TJP vs. Alex Shelley – Opera Cup Opening Round

Bobby Fish vs. Lee Moriarty – Opera Cup Opening Round

•Calvin Tankman in action!

•Mads Krugger vs. Dr. Dax

Hey!  Bobby Fish and Lee Moriarty are doing their thing in MLW now!

On 9/28/2021 at 10:30 AM, Peck said:

So happy for Wes. Local guy from Wheeling area, busted his ass for 15 years in the small Indys around here.

Well, according to PWInsider, Beastman was released, along with Bu Ku Dao and Leo Brien.

I feel super shitty for Beastman. Worked 14 years on the Indies, gets signed to MLW literally a month ago, the local CBS affiliate does a story on his signing, and he's cut a month later. Kinda fucked up.

With the unholy alliance between CONTRA and LU becoming more and more of a reality, Lawlor's little cliq is getting lost in the shuffle.   It's a good time for him to look for greener pastures.

Edited by J.T.

• Konnan and 5150 introducing themselves to Caesar Duran is so pro wrestling.  So man F-Bombs dropped as well as a huffer and a weed reference and we're introduced to the phrase, "I'm as serious as a late period."  MLW is not for kids, gang.  5150 vs Los Parks is going to be great.
  • Sea Stars vs. Willow & Zoey started off shaky and there were some bumps in the road.  Finish was also a bit sketchy.  The post match assistance for Willow from all of the participants in the match was good to see after Willow really sold the fake run-in.  WTF is up with Hollidead?
  • I do not mind Warhorse breaking code and inserting himself above black men in the Hierarchy of Heatbutting because 80's heavy metal headbanging conditions the skull or something.  I could watch Alex Kane throw smaller dudes around the ring all day.  Anything that keeps King Mo out of a wrestling ring is good for business.
  • If the Casket Match between Tom Lawlor and Mil Muertes is the swan song for Lawlor, then bravo as he heads into free agency.  This is the second best casket match I have seen and of course Mil Muertes was also involved in the best one I've seen vs. Rey Fenix in LU.
Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 8:50 AM, J.T. said:
  • I do not mind Warhorse breaking code and inserting himself above black men in the Hierarchy of Heatbutting because 80's heavy metal headbanging conditions the skull or something.  I could watch Alex Kane throw smaller dudes around the ring all day.  Anything that keeps King Mo out of a wrestling ring is good for business.

Kane versus Tankman should be awesome.  I am ready for hoss battle!

• Like 1

I attended thee MLW War Chamber card this past Saturday - it was festive, and as promised the show was much more streamlined and compact than their TV tapings in the past. A few impressions (and since the results are all over the place, it might be spoilery):

Crowd was the usual Philly mutants and mental/spiritual defectives, with an under-current of ironically watching hipsters and interWeb-weaned marks wanting to get themselves and their chants over. I'll take the mutants any day. Busier than last month but still nowhere near as packed as that RF sponsored Battleground show with the old ECW geezers, which brought out all the old drunk ECW fans and their memories. Nostalgia sells.

Enzo Amore worked ol' reliable Matt Cross. It was obvious "nZo" was out to prove he could run with the big boys and get over w/o the mic work since he didn't say a word except a "how ya doin'" whispered to the camera upon his win (nice). It worked. As is typical in this situation, folks mostly cheered the worker they have on their flatscreens.

Possibly one of the greatest  & most instructional things I have seen on any monitor ever, wrestling or not, was a Halloween PSA from Los Parkas --- ooh, I found it in Twitter form:

I love it.

The Top Dogs are a ladies tag team to watch for, with a nice 70s gaijin in Japan style.

I am really stating to worry about how to explain the whole concept of The Blue Meanie and his amorphous gimmick to my future grandkids, as I expect him to still be getting booked in the Philly area for another couple decades to come. At least here, he was used properly as a ringside attraction that played into the finish of Holidead w/Dr. Dax v. Willow Nightingale.

"Big Beef" Gnarls Garvin made a good impression with me, as I dig the "Southerner who is a heel because he hates Yankees" gimmick muchly. Arez is a gem, as is Cesar Duran.

TJP is really really the MVP of this card (and maybe even MLW). It is shocking how he holds a lot of stuff together, and he actually has to slow down so some of the folks he works can keep up and look good, and how easily he can get heat.

I only had half an eye on the main event, as I was chatting with an old co-worker worker chum. Two fun facts I learned: they practiced putting up the cage in the afternoon so as to made it speedy for the show, and that the match was originally to be held in Texas, then Chicago, and the move to Philly precluded any extreme brawling, violence or color, thanks to the PA Athletic Commission. That's who really needs to be defunded. Jacob Fatu will be over as hell very soon in a classic booking move as he battled his fellow CONTRA members post-loss. In my dreams I hope he turns back heel soon after capturing the hearts of all the fans for that doublecross long game screwjob heat.

Another solid MLW card.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Richard Holiday "talking" to MJF about how things are going in AEW in the prologue vignette was king sized. 
  • Los Parks vs, 5150's No DQ trios match was a war.  Well, we know where Homicide landed after the RoH thing.  I like how 5150 has chosen to fight the heelish Lucha Underground by adopting the James Bond 007 philosophy of willing to be more violent than their opposition.
  • The 12 man elimination match had a lot of fucking dudes.  Pretty much a match to introduce EJ N'Duka to the world.  It was clusterfucky, but in mostly a good way.
  • Davey Richards vs. Bobby Fish was a pretty awesome faked shoot and had displays of sportsmanship that tugged at your sense of honor and tricked you into believing that this is actual competition.
Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

That LA PARK fight is pretty great.

I enjoyed the CMLL esque re-ignition of the war between Mexicans and Puerto Ricans.   All that was missing was Pierroth Jr. tossing a pair of brass knuckles to Slice Boogie.

• Like 1

This was my favorite episode of Fusion I’ve watched so far. Fish is having a low key great year. He’s pretty far back in Danielson and Miro’s rear view mirrors for best performances of the year, but as a reliable gatekeeper who can match intensity with bigger stars he’s been killing it all fall. 

• Like 2

Hey, I've been under the influence of wonderful prescription Iburprofin and have slept the past ten hours while fighting a holy war against chronic migraines!

You are the beneficiary of me being awake hours before my normal get up time.  

Here is War Chamber 2021.  It debuted last night about the same time as the glorious AEW show in Norfolk that I wasn't able to attend..  I will offer more coherent thoughts later on.

• Like 1