DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

The ring seemed small, but they made the most of it. Some of the camera work was savvy (like on the Van Terminator) and they also missed a shot of who Tajiri kicked off of the apron.

Also, it's possible they taped the Embedded segment before the actual show and they mentioned "Is Will Ospreay coming?" after they had a match where they announced Will Ospreay was coming?

I missed the Ospreay part but got a laugh out of Da Meltz showing up. 

Didn't pay 100% attention but the execution seemed off during most of Hammerstone/Fatu, like the Van Terminator not connecting right, the powerslam that had to be cut short because they were too close to the ropes, etc. And of course the Philly crowd booed the face because Philly. 

EDIT: Oh and I forgot Hammerstone getting stabbed in I believe the chest and the announcers claiming it was the throat... and he didn't sell the throat. And just decided to Hulk up after going through the table. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I missed the Ospreay part but got a laugh out of Da Meltz showing up. 

Didn't pay 100% attention but the execution seemed off during most of Hammerstone/Fatu, like the Van Terminator not connecting right, the powerslam that had to be cut short because they were too close to the ropes, etc. And of course the Philly crowd booed the face because Philly. 

The first half of the match was fucking great when Fatu was bumping all over the ring for Hammerstone's suplexes.  When they started the Holy Shit spots was where it bogged down,  It was still the best match I've seen Fatu in.

I attended that card, and it was great fun. First off, I was shocked that it was not sold out - I strolled up with tix a half hour early and there wasn't anyone outside as compared the Battleground show two weeks before, which was PACKED w/a 90 minute wait to enter. Philly loves it's randomly booked ECW nostalgia shows, I tell you what.

Alex Kane was impressive and good on the mic. King Mo as his manager works to get him over as a heel, but Mr. Mo needs to learn how to work a live mic.

TJP is so effective as a super-skilled heel who forces you to hate him.

Tom Lawlor can't get a win - surely this is leading somewhere? The jean trunks are brilliant.

The card lasted 5 hours and clicked right along. Taping the YouTube show and then the VICE stuff created some temporal dissonance but was a breeze if you ever survived one of those 80s WWF syndicated TV tapings.

5150 vs. Los Parks trio match was stiff and thrilling (like me). LA Park still being a top notch worker despite his age and size surprises me every time but it shouldn't, as the man is a Wrestling Golden Treasure. No color or in crowd brawling (2300 Arena dictates), controlled chaos constantly.

Holidead works so stiff with those kicks, I could see that Nicole Savoy injury. Ribs? Chest? Sternum? Heart? She was crying but not paralyzed, stretchered out and sent to the hospital. Kills the crowd in the way that a real injury will. Holidead has a good look and works the gimmick but still kinda generic for me.

Tajiri/Aramis/Arez/Reed four-way for the lightweight title was f'n off the hook with so much stuff I have never seen before and just the right amount of sloppiness so it wasn't some over-rehearsed move fest. Truly insprational and a must see. I was shocked that Tajiri (clearly the crowd favorite) won - does he live in the US? His look has softened, with fluffy hair and rounder face but he still can do the "dangerous menace" thing. MIST!!!!!

Dario Cuerto is brilliant, I love that he grants everyone's match requests but monkey paws it up.

King Mil Muertes is so good, fabulous entrance, in a casket match w/Lawlor - messy and violent. KMM is fits in with these great workers that MLW has, that all have great physical presence (JFatu, Hammerstone) but would be exposed size-wise if they were in WWE.

6 on 6 Elimination Match was well done, giving a bunch of lesser pushed guys a chance to show their gimmicks and moves. Kevin Ku is deliciously sleazy, I feel that he has definitely hung around places where fentanyl is stored in big blue barrels. EJ Nuduka looked like a million bucks and is vastly improved.

The time off has improved Davey Richards ring work but Bobby Fish continues to underwhelm despite his boss facial hair.

Sea Stars I remember from Chikara but they have not improved in my eyes. Even the ugly Philly crowd adored them tho'. "Cute" is les than "kawaii" for me, gimmick-wise. The standout for me here was Willow Nightengale.

Jacob Fatu is my fave rave, and title vs. title with Alexander Hammerstone did not disappoint. Big beefy moves, good selling  and intense 2 counts. These boys went 30+ minutes and turned it out. So sad for RAF to see Fatu lose the belt but it was the right thing to do. Fatu (and Samael) really were MVPs here.

The only thing worse than half-wits trying to start chants because they never attended an ECW card back in the day is hipster beardos who watch too many PWG tapes starting chants. This is my bete noire, especially since I always sit next to these pencilnecks. I like sitting next to small children or handicapable folks who get into the action and know the show isn't all about them. Special mention goes to the fellow sitting in front of me, whose massive afro literally blocked out 1/3 of the ring for me at all times but it's cool because that afro was so impressive. This, despite the fact that he was filming on his phone the whole time (BN#2) - FOR WHAT, WHY?!?!?! Also, because I am a jagoff, my nemesis was there, this goony-bird who walks around with a custom "YOUTUBE CHAMP" belt and hangs out by the merch tables, trying to get people to do photos with him. He is always filming and narrating in a simpleminded manner. If I stop posting here it's because I was sent to lockup for assault, as he tries to interview folks and get them to play along. YOU ARE NOT IN THE BIZ I am not anymore but this gets my goat. It almost happened when I was waiting with my chum Jason for his Uber. South Philly is a wooly place but I walked home, smoking cigars as is my wont. Sorry so much negativity, welcome to my soul.

MLW was fun and I learned alot.

p.s. The Savoy injury was a bruised sternum, I was right. Happened to me once, brother it feels like you are having a grabber. Apparently, TJP was also injured, and there was a worked injury for Tankman. Hammerstone sprained his ankle early in the match and gutted it out, the kid is a trooper, best wishes for recovery to all.

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
doctor notes
  • Like 3

After that show, I don't really know when MLW is next airing on Vice. So it's sorta like the old times pre-channel guides where something would be on TV and you weren't exactly sure if it would be on TV next week or ever again.

Like I remember MLW getting time on Vice around Saturday afternoons at like Noon Eastern or Central, but it's not listed this week or next week. Maybe they did this and I didn't notice (they mentioned upcoming events), but you'd think they would have made the most of the timeslot to mention when the hell they were gonna be airing more shows on Vice. Maybe cut a little time out of the talk segment to say "hey, person who is only watching this because of DSOTR, here's how you can watch more of us since our product is awesome"

• Like 2

Main event was a lot of fun.  I love Jacob but it was time for him to give up the belt.   Hopefully Hammerstone will vacate the Openweight title so that we can get a decent tournament showcasing the newer signees.

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So I guess the B show is now MLW Fusion Alpha. They just had LAX vs. Injustice and I have absolutely no idea who LAX is now. 

Slice Boogie and Danny Limelight who are also known as the Bodega in Championship Wrestling From Hollywood.  I'm baffled by the timeline.  Is this episode supposed to take place before the Vice show?  So beautifully indie.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DEAN said:

I'm baffled by the timeline.  Is this episode supposed to take place before the Vice show?  So beautifully indie.

It aired on MLW youtube and some other service that I don't get on Wednesday (the day before Vice). However Bein Sports (that I get) shows it on Saturday. It makes sense to half of the audience and baffles the other half. Even more indie??

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 5:29 AM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Truly insprational and a must see. I was shocked that Tajiri (clearly the crowd favorite) won - does he live in the US? His look has softened, with fluffy hair and rounder face but he still can do the "dangerous menace" thing. MIST!!!!!

No, TAJIRI is back in Japan, he's a regular for All Japan and has some sort of role in the booking of the company. 

• Like 1

Should WWE really be concerned with MLW, though?   There is no money mark there to help MLW buy its way into the big leagues.  Just let them have their spot on Tubi and use their programing space for WWE adverts.