DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

Is the deal with Vice over already?  MLW hasn't been on the past week or two, and isn't in the channel guide for tomorrow?  Or, at least, they're not airing on Saturdays at noon, which is the time slot I was seeing the show listed in.

I still haven't seen he show.  

I've been DVRing reruns for the past couple of weeks.  I am guessing that MLW is in the process of getting some new shows in the can since Battle Riot is this weekend and they are still working this draft gimmick.

Matt Cross / M-Dogg20 / Son of Havoc just recently signed and will probably join the Azteca Underground stable.

Edited by J.T.

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up watching this live while I watched mixed doubles table tennis on TV. I think it aired on youtube the same time the GCW show was on? Anyway, when did Hammerstone start doing Hulk Hogan cosplay?

Edited by lostinube

Who were those 2 masked guys that came out as 1 entrant? The Sentai Death Squad I think they were called. Because they were terrible. Both looked like it was the very first time they had ever been in a ring. 

Edited by BrianS81177

20 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Who were those 2 masked guys that came out as 1 entrant? The Sentai Death Squad I think they were called. Because they were terrible. Both looked like it was the very first time they had ever been in a ring. 

Yeah. Storyline wise, they are CONTRA's nameless/faceless goons. I assume they're just local guys or anyone available.

I’m not sure what MLW wants to be. There’s a lot of talent in the company but not a lot of people are being used well. Fatu is a good champion and Contra, despite being a little past its expiration date, is a fine heel stable but we gotta build to a playoff and I don’t think Hammerstone is the guy.

7 hours ago, Hagan said:

I’m not sure what MLW wants to be.

Yep… They’re identity is about as stable as WCW‘s in the early 90’s. Once they were a ECW clone. Then they were an ROH clone. When they came back they were a throwback to JCP mixed in with 90’s WCW Saturday Night. After that they were like “Hey fake shoot fighting is cool” so they did that. “Now we are 1980s WWF“, and uhhhhhh… also Lucha Underground?

…And people complain about Shawn Spears identity crisis. *Pfft*

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yep… They’re identity is about as stable as WCW‘s in the early 90’s. Once they were a ECW clone. Then they were an ROH clone. When they came back they were a throwback to JCP mixed in with 90’s WCW Saturday Night. After that they were like “Hey fake shoot fighting is cool” so they did that. “Now we are 1980s WWF“, and uhhhhhh… also Lucha Underground?

…And people complain about Shawn Spears identity crisis. *Pfft*

They did give us the Filthy Island special set in the back woods of the Von Erich ranch. It felt like it was a missing episode of Trailer Park Boys and I'll be forever grateful.

Man, Battle Riot was a shitshow. I’m not sure who could’ve foreseen this, but having like 15 guys come out before there was even one elimination was a horrible idea. Total cluster. It was especially bad during that middle stretch when all the lucha guys were trying to get their shit in in the middle of all of it.

Zenshi doing like half a dozen Kofi spots was a real headscrather. Even the production team seemed to get bored with him after a while.

And that stretch run where it was just Contra guy after Contra guy, to the point that dudes I didn’t know were even IN Contra are coming out...just horrible. 

Hammerstone is super over with the MLW audience, so he’s clearly the guy to end this endless Fatu reign, but I still don’t think he’s all that good.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, EVA said:

Man, Battle Riot was a shitshow. I’m not sure who could’ve foreseen this, but having like 15 guys come out before there was even one elimination was a horrible idea. Total cluster. It was especially bad during that middle stretch when all the lucha guys were trying to get their shit in in the middle of all of it.

Hammerstone is super over with the MLW audience, so he’s clearly the guy to end this endless Fatu reign, but I still don’t think he’s all that good.

I expected the match to be a mess so I went home right before it started. Got home in time to see the UFC main. I think that I made a good choice.

Hammer and Holliday have stepped it up in The Dynasty and are as good or better than with MJF. Hammer time baby!

On 7/27/2021 at 10:51 AM, EVA said:

Hammerstone has the arrogant charisma to carry a federation as a tweenish or heel champ, but his best matches depend on him being able to toss around lighter opponents like rag dolls.   I shudder to think about the finish of a title match between Jacob Fatu and Hammerstone where Hammer wins the belt.  I still have sympathy pains from the botched Nightmare Pendulum that nearly broke both of Savio Vega's legs.  

Court Bauer was smart enough to spin that as a deliberate attempt to maim Vega, though.  If MLW has anything, it's bookers that know what they're doing most of the time.

Edited by J.T.

I think Holliday is technically a face because he is feuding with an even bigger jerk in Gino Medina.  Plus it is clear they are building something around Holliday and Alicia Atout

People talking about Sendai Squad being shitting in the ring, someone needs to tell King Mo to just give it up.   He has to be pricey to begin with.   But he looks like he is part time training in pro wrestling given how horrible his cardio is and how he sloppily throws people.   Thought he broke Lee Moriarity neck on his first spot 

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2021 at 9:41 AM, Technico Support said:

Did MLW have that taping they were supposed to have in July?  Does anyone know when the "new season" is supposed to air on Vice?

I have no idea what's going on.  I've set my DVR to record all new episodes and have seen nada.  I've been relying on their YouTube channel for new programming.

On 8/9/2021 at 10:41 AM, Technico Support said:

Did MLW have that taping they were supposed to have in July?  Does anyone know when the "new season" is supposed to air on Vice?

They should have gotten at least 3 episodes from what came before the Battle Riot main event at the ECW Arena.

Yeah from what I heard the MLW taping in Philly was a marathon show and it certainly wasn't because of Battle Riot only.  Yet not only have they not put new material out there it seems like we are doing Anthology shows for the next 2 weeks.  

I don't even know if they are still dealing with VICE anymore.  

I kind of enjoyed the battle royale show, especially Cesar's promo to open it. "Who the fuck are you" popped me big time. The crowd was super hot for the whole thing, you love to see it.

I feel like the Sentai Death Squad are those two giant dudes they had in CHIKARA back in the day, but it's really hard to find any info about them. Blaster McMaster and another name like that, I've smoked way too much weed to remember.

Edited by JRV