DVDVR Message Board

The Walking Dead.

The Natural

On Talking Dead, the new showrunner talked about how this episode was basically setting up where things were now, so you got a sense of how nice things were before it all went bad, pretty much starting at the end.

Hardwick also pointed out how the super nerd coughed into their water supply before dying.

There was in interview where Kirkman said the major threat of season 4 would not be either zombies or humans, and that it would reveal itself during the premiere.

I was thinking it was going to be depression and mental illness until nerd-boy dropped dead.

I can't believe anyone thought this was a good episode let alone a good season premiere. The dialogue was just laughable. The whole scene in front of the booze leading the roof collapse was a laugh out loud moment. An immense step back from last season.

I refuse to believe that Darryl would have just walked past all that beer without giving it a second look.

That said, I loved the falling zombies.

Walkers keep falling on my head

But that doesn't mean that I'll soon be windin' up dead

Dying's not for meCause I'm never gonna stop the undead by complainin'

• Like 1

I though it was okay-ish. The roof collapse was ridiculous, but at least they went for the gusto and made it ridiculous in an over-the-top way you've never seen before (I'm not a zombie buff, but "zombies falling from the sky" is a new one for me), as opposed to the countless times they've been ridiculous in boring, commonplace ways in the past.

And Nicotero was in his glory directing this episode, delivering money shot after money shot of outrageous gore effects. If nothing else, this series has served as an endowment for make-up and effects artists in the field of goo.

I can't believe anyone thought this was a good episode let alone a good season premiere. The dialogue was just laughable. The whole scene in front of the booze leading the roof collapse was a laugh out loud moment. An immense step back from last season.

It was probably terrible but I enjoyed it because there was some neat "living with zombies" shit rather than WURRRRRRRR AH LURVE YOU

I was under the impression that glasses guy might have had some type of terminal illness and that's what made him turn the way he did, but after reading the comments about some new turn on the virus I'm not so sure, nor am I too thrilled about how such a storyline might turn out.  It's still way too early to judge all that however.  The roof collapse scene might have had more to it if they'd established a bit more of that guy's character first.  I get that he might be a recovering alcoholic but they could have thrown in a minute or two of character development that might have lead a bit more weight to the scene.  The bit with the dirty woman in the woods was completely absurd and annoying. 

I'm guessing the virus is some sort of mutated ebola strain. I'm not a doctor or anything by any means but that's the only thing I can think of that can kill you fairly fast and make you bleed from the eyes and everywhere like that. Remember they kept showing that one walker with the bloody eye sockets? I think that's some kind of foreshadowing. Also, Specs didn't cough into the main water supply. That was just a drum for that one particular showerhead. Not good but not as devestating as the drinking water being contaminated.

A co-worker brought up that during their time at the prison they buried a lot of zombies in the ground that they're growing vegetables in. The animals pigs/cattle are eating the grass around that area. I think finding the gun in the opening segment was a reminder of that.

• Like 1

My streak of loving the show when everyone else hates it is intact!  I also loved the roof scene and don't understand what was so ridiculous or implausible about it.  The helicopter obviously crashed there early on in the outbreak, we're 2 years or so out from that.  The damage from the crash let rainwater get in and soften the roof.  The sounds inside drew all the zombies from the edge to the middle and the roof started giving in.  I know the graphics were a bit janky when the helicopter crashed in, but other than that I thought it was a cool bit.

• Like 1

My streak of loving the show when everyone else hates it is intact!  I also loved the roof scene and don't understand what was so ridiculous or implausible about it.  The helicopter obviously crashed there early on in the outbreak, we're 2 years or so out from that.  The damage from the crash let rainwater get in and soften the roof.  The sounds inside drew all the zombies from the edge to the middle and the roof started giving in.  I know the graphics were a bit janky when the helicopter crashed in, but other than that I thought it was a cool bit.

I think you just figured out what was ridiculous about it. It was a horribly contrived scenario.

As crazy lady in the woods said, Eddie was slowing down because he hadn't had anything live to eat in a while. Is this the first mention of the fact that walkers don't walk indefinitely, that they do need some sort of sustenance to continue on?