DVDVR Message Board

The Walking Dead.

The Natural

I just stumbled into this topic and it's funny to read comments such as "It's been eight years, and it's just going in circles" and "everyone says they hate it, but they keep making money" which is why I stopped reading the graphic novels around about volume 21.

As for the TV show I knew it was shit by mid-season finale of season 2. A friend of mine still persists but the only episodes he watches are the opener, mid-season finale and finale. Are zombies even cool anymore?

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

I just stumbled into this topic and it's funny to read comments such as "It's been eight years, and it's just going in circles" and "everyone says they hate it, but they keep making money" which is why I stopped reading the graphic novels around about volume 21.

As for the TV show I knew it was shit by mid-season finale of season 2. A friend of mine still persists but the only episodes he watches are the opener, mid-season finale and finale. Are zombies even cool anymore?

I completely understand, thouggh giving up during season two wasn't exactly fair.  It was the worst season due to AMC giving all their budget to Mad Men and asking the creators of TWD to keep the show in one location (the farm) to keep costs low.  They famously even asked if the show could be done without zombies!

The original Walking Dead...man, I don't know.  There's just enough decent stuff to keep me watching but it's a chore sometimes.  It really feels like they have 8-10 episodes worth of content that they stretch to 16 via contrived means.  Looking at the episode history on Wikipedia, I'm kind of pissed yet amazed they managed to stretch out the Saviors story arc for three whole fucking seasons.  Wow.

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I completely understand, though giving up during season two wasn't exactly fair.

Aigh, you're probably right but remember I was coming to it from the graphic novel so I just couldn't abide that pace and thumb twiddling. I liked what they did with Shane though

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When I was little, my Mum told me, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Well, season nine just started, and the new opening credits are nice. Nothing else to say.

• Like 1

To put things into perspective... At the Pelan household two television shows have captivated our Sunday nights for years, GOT and TWD. Now there are two things which make us sad (1.) GOT is ending next year and (2.) TWD might not.

• Like 3

I honestly forgot it premiered Sunday until I saw it on DVR.  Which will likely sit there until I get through a couple horror movies I intended to watch.  I have a feeling that will be worlds better than TWD which I assume has a ton of talking about nothing.

It's like they wanted to counter the running zombie of the aughts, but got confused and thought "Slow, shambling pace" should apply to the entire show 'The Walking Dead', rather than just the actual dead walkers.

Well I already stopped watching Fear the Walking Dead after they did a rip n' replace of the whole cast and swapped out interesting plots for slow, ponderous bullshit.  OG TWD might be next.  This is how you start a season?  Talky, dull, everyone is pissy at each other.  I can already get that at my job.  I don't need it in my entertainment, too.

• 1 month later...

And someone was complaining that nobody was posting in the Dr Who thread. TWD kills the main character, than unkills him and says they're making spinoff movies with him instead, then the show jumps six years into the future (thus giving away spoilers for the aforementioned TV movies. The bits where he's trying to escape and return to his family, he fails in that), makes it clear that quite a lot happened in those six years, and nobody gives a shit.

Carol with the long white hair and killing people with fire. It's like they're trying to make her into TWD's Daenerys.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, AxB said:

And someone was complaining that nobody was posting in the Dr Who thread. TWD kills the main character, than unkills him and says they're making spinoff movies with him instead, then the show jumps six years into the future (thus giving away spoilers for the aforementioned TV movies. The bits where he's trying to escape and return to his family, he fails in that), makes it clear that quite a lot happened in those six years, and nobody gives a shit.

Carol with the long white hair and killing people with fire. It's like they're trying to make her into TWD's Daenerys.

What in the shit?!  Damn I'm very glad I gave up on this show because that just sounds horrible.

Yes. It's basically a new show incorporating some old characters. Judith Grimes is 11 now, and before Rick got kidnapped he got Michonne pregnant, so she's now a single mother to two kids.

Also, that young boy who was in the Kingdom, he's been adopted by King Ezekiel and Queen Carol, and is now being played by the older brother of the kid who played him to begin with. And their older sister played Carol's daughter Sophia back in the early days.

They also have a deaf character now. The actress who plays her seems lovely.

On 11/12/2018 at 8:53 PM, AxB said:

On 11/13/2018 at 9:04 AM, AxB said:

Yes. It's basically a new show incorporating some old characters. Judith Grimes is 11 now, and before Rick got kidnapped he got Michonne pregnant, so she's now a single mother to two kids.

Also, that young boy who was in the Kingdom, he's been adopted by King Ezekiel and Queen Carol, and is now being played by the older brother of the kid who played him to begin with. And their older sister played Carol's daughter Sophia back in the early days.

They also have a deaf character now. The actress who plays her seems lovely.

Whut. Da. Hale?

Nevermind.   This sums up my feelings when I read the episode summaries to see what they did with Rick.

Image result for kill it with fire gif

• Like 1

So, I heard that in the time span of the time jump, the walkers have since "evolved" and can now talk? Is this accurate? How can anybody have thought that is a good idea? I stopped watching in the middle of last season, and if this zombie talking thing is real, I'm so glad I got out when I did.

• Like 1

Eugene and Rosita were running from a horde, and decided to hide using techniques they'd seen in the movie Predator. As the horde was walking past them, someone audibly whispered "Don't let them get away", and then the episode ended... but whether this was one of the walkers or a human disguised as a walker, who can say?

Assuming they're following the comic - 

Spoiler

The Whisperers are a large group of people who have taken to wearing the skins and parts of zombies/dead bodies and pretending to be zombies. They're the antagonists for the face factions in a lengthy storyline.

On 11/18/2018 at 7:09 PM, MonteCarl said:

So, I heard that in the time span of the time jump, the walkers have since "evolved" and can now talk? Is this accurate? How can anybody have thought that is a good idea? I stopped watching in the middle of last season, and if this zombie talking thing is real, I'm so glad I got out when I did.

No, the walkers proper cannot talk, but I won't spoil things for you should you choose to dial in again. As for my part, I am so out now it's ridiculous. The six-year future jump is perhaps the worst story-telling device I've seen used on television and boy oh boy does that cover a lot of ground. I don't know where Jada took Rick, nor do I care; good riddance to both. The "growth" of the characters over six years is absurd as is the hint of Michonne doing something awful to Hilltop and now the plan is to have a "fair" to bring the three communities together? What the fuck is this, a Mickey Rooney / Judy Garland movie? 

Kathy is of the opinion that we have so much time invested that we need to keep watching to see what happens. I think that after eight years or whatever, it's become quite clear exactly what's going to happen. We will continue to see major characters killed off to pop ratings when necessary and probably one really bad Made-for-TV movie with Rick, before they realize that dog ain't gonna hunt. I hope that Norman Reedus has signed for Boondock Saints III and at least a couple more seasons of his own show because he's too cool for this nonsense. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

3 episodes back and the main takeaway is that Samantha Morton is still good at acting.

In other news, the Undertaker has copyrighted the phrase Dead Man Talking. Which made me think, you know how Jeff Dean Morgan was miscast as Neegan because he was too small and not physically intimidating enough? Imagine if they'd cast The Undertaker to play Neegan. That scene where he makes Rick hold the bat, then turns his back on him to monologue about how blessed the Alexandrians are to be colonised by the saviours would make a lot more sense. In the show Rick not using Lucille to cave Neegan's skull in made Rick look too broken and weak. But if Neegan had been Undertaker sized, it would have made sense to not try it.

• 2 weeks later...

That was a legitimately enjoyable episode. First time I've said that for a while. Who would have thought that Opie from Sons of Anarchy was the shot in the arm the show needed?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AxB said:

That was a legitimately enjoyable episode. First time I've said that for a while. Who would have thought that Opie from Sons of Anarchy was the shot in the arm the show needed?

Also, I was so wrapped up in the Whisperers storyline I had no idea Angus Sampson (Insidious series, Mad Max: Fury Road, etc) was joining the show.  I like his character.  Or, as i said to my wife, "I guess these dudes REALLY want to see some fuckin' movies!"

LOL @ "A grammatically correct death threat!"

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They tried to do a Red Wedding episode. Pretty light and friendly all the way through, and then killing a bunch of characters (including some fan favourite ones who you'd expect to get a featured death episode) suddenly right at the end. But they also did the Return of the King dramatic ending scene followed by epilogue ending scene followed by final ending scene.

On the plus side, I won't get confused between the three cute brunettes any more. Only one left.

EDIT: And going by the preview for next week, they're also copying Game of Thrones by having Winter actually happen for the first time after the show's been running for years.

Edited by AxB

I think whether you thought it was light and friendly may depend on whether you’re familiar with the comics. I kept waiting for the inevitable shoe to drop and was relieved at one of the changes from the comic, especially after they hinted at it still happening.

I'm familiar with the comics up to a point where the show is well past, so yeah. I think it might make things a bit easier for the show to translate comics storylines now that they can just say Daryl is the new Rick, and Judith is new Carl 2 (Henry being interim new Carl 1).

Isn't Danai Gurira supposed to be leaving after this season? 

As far as a change from the comics, do you mean

Spoiler

Ezekiel surviving?

12 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I think whether you thought it was light and friendly may depend on whether you’re familiar with the comics. I kept waiting for the inevitable shoe to drop and was relieved at one of the changes from the comic, especially after they hinted at it still happening.

Same.  As soon as Alpha said something about Darryl finding the border marker when he leaves, I was like "ohhhh shhhiiiiiiiiit."

To be fair, that is exactly like the Red Wedding episode of GoT, where if you knew what was coming from the books you were anticipating the grand guignol finale, but if you didn't it was just nice to see them relax and have fun for once.

• Like 1