DVDVR Message Board

The Walking Dead.

The Natural

• 1 month later...

I will not watch Fear the Walking Dead under any circumstance and you can't make me by dragging Morgan in; I don't care that much about Morgan and his fucking stick.

• Thanks 1

I haven't watched Fear since the first season, and I didn't even finish that. So I'm curious how Morgan fits in with them, because aren't/weren't they in LA? And Morgan was in Atlanta. Did the Fear group migrate East, or Morgan went West before the heading back East again to eventually catch up with Rick and Co a couple of years later?

22 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

I haven't watched Fear since the first season, and I didn't even finish that. So I'm curious how Morgan fits in with them, because aren't/weren't they in LA? And Morgan was in Atlanta. Did the Fear group migrate East, or Morgan went West before the heading back East again to eventually catch up with Rick and Co a couple of years later?

They actually had the balls to just go ahead and do a time jump and synchronize both shows' timelines.  I haven't watched episode 2 of FTWD yet but ep 1 starts right where the TWD finale left off.  Morgan is living in the junkyard for a bit.  Jesus, Carol, and Rick stop by to talk him into coming back, then he just leaves.  There's a montage of him wandering -- walking, running, hotwiring cars, etc -- next thing you know, he's in Texas.  The whole first episode is just Morgan and two other new characters, and they meet the FTWD cast at the very end.  It's literally a bridge episode and not an actual episode of FTWD.

I guess this season will catch us up on what happened to the FTWD cast in the interim, but it's pretty ridiculous.  Obviously, the call to make this a soft reboot was made in order to get more TWD viewers watching this show.  I actually find FTWD less tedious than the original show, with some decent human drama instead of TWD's "let's change a character's whole outlook based on whatever the plot needs" bullshit that they do several times each season.

Ah, so now Fear is just another group trying to survive in the exact same world and time as the original? The whole hook for me when Fear started was that it was taking place right at the beginning of the apocolypse, so I thought it would be interesting to see how it was handled when shit started going down. But then they burned through the entire "beginning" in the first handful of episodes. And then every character was horrible and unlikable. That's when I tuned out. I've heard OK things about Fear recently, but still don't think I'll be checking it out.

• Like 1

I've been saying for a while that post-apocalyptic fiction is getting a bit overdone, and someone really needs to start exploring stories that take place during the apocalypse -rather than the standard 'Show an apocalyptic event, and the very immediate consequences, then jump forward 28 Days or 20 Years'. Don't show us the 'Society has fallen, infrastructure has crumbled' world we've seen a bunch, show us what it's like to survive in a falling society, where infrastructure is trying hard not to crumble. Becauswe that's a story that's barely been told. And would make a hell of a videogame, if nothing else.

• Like 1

The Handmaid’s Tale is sort of doing that. I don’t know if you’d consider their world apocalyptic or not. They do a lot of flashbacks that show how it came to be, though. It’s really unsettling how simply and quickly it happens. 

On 4/30/2018 at 9:31 AM, AxB said:

I've been saying for a while that post-apocalyptic fiction is getting a bit overdone, and someone really needs to start exploring stories that take place during the apocalypse -rather than the standard 'Show an apocalyptic event, and the very immediate consequences, then jump forward 28 Days or 20 Years'. Don't show us the 'Society has fallen, infrastructure has crumbled' world we've seen a bunch, show us what it's like to survive in a falling society, where infrastructure is trying hard not to crumble. Becauswe that's a story that's barely been told. And would make a hell of a videogame, if nothing else.

I had the same thoughts in my previous few posts about TWD and FTWD.  FTWD was supposed to be about the start of the zombie apocalypse, but they really jumped from "hey, somebody got bit" to full on Mad Max relatively quick.  I'd like to see how the government, etc are all dealing with this and trying to keep it together.  I just can't believe we'd go from a normal life to a world of shit that fast.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Good riddance. Maybe there's a slim chance the show will improve without him. Even with the ratings slide, it seems like a dumb move on his part. I don't see him having success elsewhere.

I don't think Daryl, a sidekick who barely speaks, will work as a lead. On the bright side, maybe it'll mean fewer motivational speeches.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

It's like RAW or Nickelback.

They just keep turning out the same crap, everyone says they hate it, but they keep making money.

I'm sure the show still has its dedicated fans and casuals who enjoy it. But I mean what's the point of tuning into this show anymore? It's been eight years, and it's just going in circles. Eventually, characters you actually care about are going to get tired of the show and are going to die and/or leave. 

EDIT:

Just for example, could we ever actually learn anything else about the infection and how it works? 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I tapped out on Fear the Walking Dead two episodes into the second half of this season.  To summarize what happened:

The show had gotten, to me, very good last season.  It had some interesting ideas and did a lot of cool, different stuff.  So this season they fired the showrunner, brought in Scott Gimple from TWD, had Morgan leave OG Walking Dead and join Fear (doing a time jump to force that to make sense), killed off most of the original characters -- seriously, only one character from season 1, episode 1 is still alive -- and told the whole story to catch us up in a series of inexplicable then and now flashbacks/flashforwards that would have the guys behind Westworld saying "dude, chill."  Essentially, the owners of the show decided they wanted a different show entirely and went about getting to it in the most inorganic, clumsy way they could. 

Scott Gimple was the guy behind that masturbatory Morgan backstory episode a few seasons ago.  Remember that?  Glenn apparently died...shocking moment!  And then the next week, we got 90 god damn minutes of flashbacks of the fat bald guy from Drew Carey teaching Morgan to be nice and to use a bo staff.  So now he's in charge of a formerly decent show, doing an entire hour on one character learning not to hate a character who murdered her brother.  So a good show is replaced by the DEEP stuff Gimple likes to create.  No thanks.

• Thanks 1

I never felt an urge to see FTWD as the original is more than enough for me.  But if Gimple's all over it now then it's easy to see why it went downhill.  I didn't hate the Morgan episode but putting it after the Glen cliffhanger really turned a lot of people I knew off of the show.

I just stumbled into this topic and it's funny to read comments such as "It's been eight years, and it's just going in circles" and "everyone says they hate it, but they keep making money" which is why I stopped reading the graphic novels around about volume 21.

As for the TV show I knew it was shit by mid-season finale of season 2. A friend of mine still persists but the only episodes he watches are the opener, mid-season finale and finale. Are zombies even cool anymore?

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

I just stumbled into this topic and it's funny to read comments such as "It's been eight years, and it's just going in circles" and "everyone says they hate it, but they keep making money" which is why I stopped reading the graphic novels around about volume 21.

As for the TV show I knew it was shit by mid-season finale of season 2. A friend of mine still persists but the only episodes he watches are the opener, mid-season finale and finale. Are zombies even cool anymore?

I completely understand, thouggh giving up during season two wasn't exactly fair.  It was the worst season due to AMC giving all their budget to Mad Men and asking the creators of TWD to keep the show in one location (the farm) to keep costs low.  They famously even asked if the show could be done without zombies!

The original Walking Dead...man, I don't know.  There's just enough decent stuff to keep me watching but it's a chore sometimes.  It really feels like they have 8-10 episodes worth of content that they stretch to 16 via contrived means.  Looking at the episode history on Wikipedia, I'm kind of pissed yet amazed they managed to stretch out the Saviors story arc for three whole fucking seasons.  Wow.

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I completely understand, though giving up during season two wasn't exactly fair.

Aigh, you're probably right but remember I was coming to it from the graphic novel so I just couldn't abide that pace and thumb twiddling. I liked what they did with Shane though

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When I was little, my Mum told me, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Well, season nine just started, and the new opening credits are nice. Nothing else to say.

• Like 1

To put things into perspective... At the Pelan household two television shows have captivated our Sunday nights for years, GOT and TWD. Now there are two things which make us sad (1.) GOT is ending next year and (2.) TWD might not.

• Like 3

I honestly forgot it premiered Sunday until I saw it on DVR.  Which will likely sit there until I get through a couple horror movies I intended to watch.  I have a feeling that will be worlds better than TWD which I assume has a ton of talking about nothing.

It's like they wanted to counter the running zombie of the aughts, but got confused and thought "Slow, shambling pace" should apply to the entire show 'The Walking Dead', rather than just the actual dead walkers.