DVDVR Message Board

The Walking Dead.

The Natural

With Carl dying and contract negotiations not looking good for Maggie and Michonne, that could mean three huge losses for the show within a matter of months. With ratings and interest slipping, losing so many top players on the show could be the beginning of the end. Will it make it past Season 9 at this point?

I hope Danai Gurira leaves. She's too good for this show.

And I hope all this does lead to the show ending. Being forced to stop spinning their wheels and wrap it all up might actually improve the show. But I'm sure they'll just keep milking this thing dry. Maybe by season 15 it'll just be Rick left. No other survivors. No audience watching.

31 minutes ago, Throat said:

I hope Danai Gurira leaves. She's too good for this show.

And I hope all this does lead to the show ending. Being forced to stop spinning their wheels and wrap it all up might actually improve the show. But I'm sure they'll just keep milking this thing dry. Maybe by season 15 it'll just be Rick left. No other survivors. No audience watching.

Sadly, at Casa Pelan Sunday evening will still be dinner & Dead. Why oh why can't Game of Thrones be on every week?

Holy shit Steven Ogg was great in tonight's episode (and I wish that they just used him as Negan). An even bigger role for him going forward would really boost my interest level. 

Edit: AND the meat grinder for all of those dump dwellers?? My goodness this episode is an out of nowhere shock. 

Edited by EricR
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 1:37 AM, EricR said:

Holy shit Steven Ogg was great in tonight's episode (and I wish that they just used him as Negan). An even bigger role for him going forward would really boost my interest level. 

Edit: AND the meat grinder for all of those dump dwellers?? My goodness this episode is an out of nowhere shock. 

Trevor vs The Garbage People really redeemed last week's blah episode. 

Was there a focus group where the result was "people watching this show really want gross-ass shit?"  Because between Morgan pulling out that dude's guts and Jadis sending all her zombified pals into a grinder...just holy fuck.

• 1 month later...

I will not watch Fear the Walking Dead under any circumstance and you can't make me by dragging Morgan in; I don't care that much about Morgan and his fucking stick.

• Thanks 1

I haven't watched Fear since the first season, and I didn't even finish that. So I'm curious how Morgan fits in with them, because aren't/weren't they in LA? And Morgan was in Atlanta. Did the Fear group migrate East, or Morgan went West before the heading back East again to eventually catch up with Rick and Co a couple of years later?

22 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

I haven't watched Fear since the first season, and I didn't even finish that. So I'm curious how Morgan fits in with them, because aren't/weren't they in LA? And Morgan was in Atlanta. Did the Fear group migrate East, or Morgan went West before the heading back East again to eventually catch up with Rick and Co a couple of years later?

They actually had the balls to just go ahead and do a time jump and synchronize both shows' timelines.  I haven't watched episode 2 of FTWD yet but ep 1 starts right where the TWD finale left off.  Morgan is living in the junkyard for a bit.  Jesus, Carol, and Rick stop by to talk him into coming back, then he just leaves.  There's a montage of him wandering -- walking, running, hotwiring cars, etc -- next thing you know, he's in Texas.  The whole first episode is just Morgan and two other new characters, and they meet the FTWD cast at the very end.  It's literally a bridge episode and not an actual episode of FTWD.

I guess this season will catch us up on what happened to the FTWD cast in the interim, but it's pretty ridiculous.  Obviously, the call to make this a soft reboot was made in order to get more TWD viewers watching this show.  I actually find FTWD less tedious than the original show, with some decent human drama instead of TWD's "let's change a character's whole outlook based on whatever the plot needs" bullshit that they do several times each season.

Ah, so now Fear is just another group trying to survive in the exact same world and time as the original? The whole hook for me when Fear started was that it was taking place right at the beginning of the apocolypse, so I thought it would be interesting to see how it was handled when shit started going down. But then they burned through the entire "beginning" in the first handful of episodes. And then every character was horrible and unlikable. That's when I tuned out. I've heard OK things about Fear recently, but still don't think I'll be checking it out.

• Like 1

I've been saying for a while that post-apocalyptic fiction is getting a bit overdone, and someone really needs to start exploring stories that take place during the apocalypse -rather than the standard 'Show an apocalyptic event, and the very immediate consequences, then jump forward 28 Days or 20 Years'. Don't show us the 'Society has fallen, infrastructure has crumbled' world we've seen a bunch, show us what it's like to survive in a falling society, where infrastructure is trying hard not to crumble. Becauswe that's a story that's barely been told. And would make a hell of a videogame, if nothing else.

• Like 1

The Handmaid’s Tale is sort of doing that. I don’t know if you’d consider their world apocalyptic or not. They do a lot of flashbacks that show how it came to be, though. It’s really unsettling how simply and quickly it happens. 

On 4/30/2018 at 9:31 AM, AxB said:

I've been saying for a while that post-apocalyptic fiction is getting a bit overdone, and someone really needs to start exploring stories that take place during the apocalypse -rather than the standard 'Show an apocalyptic event, and the very immediate consequences, then jump forward 28 Days or 20 Years'. Don't show us the 'Society has fallen, infrastructure has crumbled' world we've seen a bunch, show us what it's like to survive in a falling society, where infrastructure is trying hard not to crumble. Becauswe that's a story that's barely been told. And would make a hell of a videogame, if nothing else.

I had the same thoughts in my previous few posts about TWD and FTWD.  FTWD was supposed to be about the start of the zombie apocalypse, but they really jumped from "hey, somebody got bit" to full on Mad Max relatively quick.  I'd like to see how the government, etc are all dealing with this and trying to keep it together.  I just can't believe we'd go from a normal life to a world of shit that fast.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Good riddance. Maybe there's a slim chance the show will improve without him. Even with the ratings slide, it seems like a dumb move on his part. I don't see him having success elsewhere.

I don't think Daryl, a sidekick who barely speaks, will work as a lead. On the bright side, maybe it'll mean fewer motivational speeches.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 8:41 AM, TheVileOne said:

The Walking Dead has become a competitive shit show. The sheep will keep watching because they are sheep. But the show has totally jumped the shark. It's the same thing over and over again.

It's like RAW or Nickelback.

They just keep turning out the same crap, everyone says they hate it, but they keep making money.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

It's like RAW or Nickelback.

They just keep turning out the same crap, everyone says they hate it, but they keep making money.

I'm sure the show still has its dedicated fans and casuals who enjoy it. But I mean what's the point of tuning into this show anymore? It's been eight years, and it's just going in circles. Eventually, characters you actually care about are going to get tired of the show and are going to die and/or leave. 

EDIT:

Just for example, could we ever actually learn anything else about the infection and how it works? 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I tapped out on Fear the Walking Dead two episodes into the second half of this season.  To summarize what happened:

The show had gotten, to me, very good last season.  It had some interesting ideas and did a lot of cool, different stuff.  So this season they fired the showrunner, brought in Scott Gimple from TWD, had Morgan leave OG Walking Dead and join Fear (doing a time jump to force that to make sense), killed off most of the original characters -- seriously, only one character from season 1, episode 1 is still alive -- and told the whole story to catch us up in a series of inexplicable then and now flashbacks/flashforwards that would have the guys behind Westworld saying "dude, chill."  Essentially, the owners of the show decided they wanted a different show entirely and went about getting to it in the most inorganic, clumsy way they could. 

Scott Gimple was the guy behind that masturbatory Morgan backstory episode a few seasons ago.  Remember that?  Glenn apparently died...shocking moment!  And then the next week, we got 90 god damn minutes of flashbacks of the fat bald guy from Drew Carey teaching Morgan to be nice and to use a bo staff.  So now he's in charge of a formerly decent show, doing an entire hour on one character learning not to hate a character who murdered her brother.  So a good show is replaced by the DEEP stuff Gimple likes to create.  No thanks.

• Thanks 1

I never felt an urge to see FTWD as the original is more than enough for me.  But if Gimple's all over it now then it's easy to see why it went downhill.  I didn't hate the Morgan episode but putting it after the Glen cliffhanger really turned a lot of people I knew off of the show.