DVDVR Message Board

The Walking Dead.

The Natural

Having read the comic, I don't want to spoil anything, but it's pretty obvious why Rick is having a sudden change of heart.  The show writers have decided to go with the source material's outcome of the war with the Saviors and suddenly need justification for

Spoiler

Rick letting Negan live, electing to imprison him instead of killing him

On 11/7/2017 at 10:26 AM, Technico Support said:

Having read the comic, I don't want to spoil anything, but it's pretty obvious why Rick is having a sudden change of heart.  The show writers have decided to go with the source material's outcome of the war with the Saviors and suddenly need justification for

Reveal hidden contents

Rick letting Negan live, electing to imprison him instead of killing him

We've been through this tedious debate about killing so many times before. If they're following the comic, they've known for a long time how this storyline would end. Why not set up a Rick change of heart sooner? Reminds me of previous seasons where an underdeveloped character would suddenly get a rush of development in the very same episode they would die. The writing is so shortsighted.

• Like 1

No comments on the latest episode? I assume we are all grieving the loss of Shiva...

More of the same really. Carol not even trying to lock the gate after saving Ezekiel shows how little they care about the walkers at this point. I really just wish we could have a show with Strand from FTWD just... walking the Earth. Let him drift from place to place and con his way into (and out of) all sorts of wacky adventures revolving around people trying not to be eaten alive by zombies.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, L_W_P said:

No comments on the latest episode? I assume we are all grieving the loss of Shiva...

More of the same really. Carol not even trying to lock the gate after saving Ezekiel shows how little they care about the walkers at this point. I really just wish we could have a show with Strand from FTWD just... walking the Earth. Let him drift from place to place and con his way into (and out of) all sorts of wacky adventures revolving around people trying not to be eaten alive by zombies.

I liked the episode a lot more than recent ones.  I like the focus on Ezekiel losing his kingdom and admitting he's not a king.  Had some really cool moments along the way and dug Rick and Daryl's cameo.  We were pretty bummed about Shiva but it was awesome to see how he saved her and now she's sacrificing herself for him.  Really awesome and powerful moment.

• Like 1

I liked the last one too. A definite improvement over the first three.

Carol letting the Saviors get away with the gun so she could save Ezekiel and Jerry was a dumb choice. Is it worth putting so many people at risk to save two? And why the hell doesn't anyone ever get flat on the ground and shoot under a car when their enemy is taking cover behind one? Get low and shoot those two Saviors in the ass. Thankfully it all worked out in the end due to the incredibly fortunate timing of Rick and Daryl!

I liked seeing the inside of the Saviors compound and being shown that there's a worker/soldier economy going on, and there's conflict inside.  Have they explicitly called that out before?  Or is it just more TWD lazy writing to give Rick a reason to not just blow the whole place up?

I don't think there was any hint of conflict within that system before. I understand Rick not wanting to kill everyone. There's nothing to be gained from offing the underlings who make Negan's pancakes or wash his clothes. Make use of them! Rick's clothes could certainly use a wash.

That fight between Rick and Daryl resulting in the loss of a bunch of dynamite and that huge gun may be the dumbest thing that has ever happened on a show with a long history of dumb things happening.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

Why do I even bother

We are still reeling over the conclusion to the mid-season finale.

When I read on Variety that

Spoiler

Chandler Riggs got his hair cut for the filming of Inherit The Viper and he mentioned that he'd like to audition for Stranger Things, my TWD crew here at the office figured that Carl's number was finally up.

Hey, I've got this great idea! Let's set the episode at night, and then not bother lighting the action scenes! It'll be great, nobody will be able to see what's happening!

• Like 1

Spoiler

Carl dying seems like an odd story beat.  Does it make sense within the framework of the show?  I haven't actually watched the show since season 1.

The actor that plays Carl says it wasn't his idea to get written out.  I know they're not bound to go down the same roads as the comic, but it seems an odd choice to off Carl given how important he was to Rick's story.  Rick's motivation is basically to find a better life for his son.  What's his motivation now?  He's finally lost basically everything that mattered to him.

Kinda wondering if someone didn't like the actor.

On 12/12/2017 at 7:37 PM, AxB said:

The problem is, Rick's kid is supposed to be a little kid, and Carl's actor is a grown-ass man now. 

Exactly.  While the show has been on for, what, eight seasons already, the actual timeline of the show has been only like two years or so.  Casting kids in long-term roles in general is a bad idea and it was really noticeable this season when I realized Carl's voice had changed.   

1 hour ago, Throat said:

This season has inspired me to start reading recaps instead of actually watching.

Good riddance to Carl. Awful character played by an awful actor. Now if they'd just kill off Negan and the writing staff, maybe I'd watch again.

What? No way!

All Rick does is lead his people into danger time after time and get them killed.

Negan is a much better leader in terms of personality, organization & results. This should become the Negan & Eugene show.

Rick would be a nightmare running those outposts...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

What? No way!

All Rick does is lead his people into danger time after time and get them killed.

Negan is a much better leader in terms of personality, organization & results. This should become the Negan & Eugene show.

Rick would be a nightmare running those outposts...

I'm not arguing that Rick is a better leader than Negan. Anyone living under Rick's command is probably better off going it alone, but I know the show will never kill him off.

I just can't stand Negan. I hate how he's written and how Jeffrey Dean Morgan plays him. He's one-note. Being such an obnoxious clown seriously undercuts his villainy. He's more irritating than intimidating . Sure, he's an effective leader, but he's a real drag to watch.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

Given up?

Pretty much.  I was expecting the last episode to be a never-ending trudge of saccharine crap and it was even worse than expected.  For the past season or two I've been in "stick with it to see how it ends" mode but after this season I'm just going to quit and possibly watch any subsequent episodes after they're all done airing.

• Like 1

Lowest rated midseason premiere in the history of the show. A lot of people have given up. Still the top cable show for the week. I wonder how low they have to go before they realize they have to rethink things. The fact that they've been hyping the show's first fully nude zombie as if that's going to make people tune in tells me they haven't learned anything from this. Purge the writing staff already!

I am so losing interest in this shit it isn't funny. Unfortunately, Sunday evenings at Casa Pelan center around  dinner & Dead. My wife's favorite show. Yes, she's smart enough to see just how bad it's gotten and will complain endlessly about it, yet she insists we tune in every week to see what new stupidity the writers have come up with.

This weekend's episode continues the trend this show has been on for quite a while now: a decent episode idea, but one that can't sustain a full episode (let alone an extended episode), and executed clumsily to boot. 

Carl dying and trying to teach his father to be merciful is a cool idea.  Stretching his death out over an hour and a half was damn near comedy.

"Violence begets violence," and "killing just gets easier and easier" are cool themes.  I was surprised when the little kid killed Gavin.  Still, Carl's death and explaining that theme to us is really a half hour of content, tops.

What's funny is that, even though this is weak storytelling, it's still better than the comic.  Rick is going to

Spoiler

let Negan live

and they're at least laying the groundwork for that right now.  In the comic, that decision came out of nowhere and was a real WTF moment.

RIP Gavin.  The apocalypse needs more bored middle manager types just trying to get through the day.