DVDVR Message Board

The Walking Dead.

The Natural

I love what they did with Carol here, but there is no way in hell Rick made a bad decision here outside of a character you like being gone. Her position wasn't defensible at all.

Sure he made a bad decision, but that's the essence of his character. 

Just watched the episode.  This.  I would probably have made the same decision in Rick's place, but.... it's Rick.  Dude should really consider watching that old Seinfeld where George became successful by doing the opposite of whatever he would normally do.  He'd think about each decision before he committed himself, then do the exact opposite of what he thought he should do.

I'm assuming this decision, like so many others Rick has made, will come back to bite him in the ass.

I normally don't get any of the hate for this show (especially when people go off about unrealistic decision-making during a goddamn zombie apocalypse scenario), but last week's was one of the worst episodes yet. A whole hour to dedicated to booting off Carol and establishing that black-guy-who-isn't-Tyrese is a douche, which means he will most likely die very soon, which means that half of the episode was essentially wasted on pointless character exposition.

What the fuck were they thinking with that Governor episode? Who thought that was a good idea? "Yeah, we're going to do back to back episodes only featuring the Governor and nobody else, people will love it." How does an idea that terrible even make it out of the writer's room? You'd think at some point an AMC suit would be, like, "WTF are you trying to kill the biggest show on TV?"

It'd be different if he was a character people loved to hate, but he isn't. No one is dying to spend two hours catching up with the Governor.

• Like 1

I was curious to see what the Governor had been doing since the end of last season... not sure I'm TWO episodes curious, but curious nonetheless. Also, I feel like this quasi-babyface turn is kinda a moot point since we've already seen him back at the prison trying to ruin Christmas for everyone so it's hard for me to get behind it.

• Like 1

No, but they certainly spent enough time hammering you over the head with the parallels between the two, I suppose you could have easily made that mistake.

I definitely understand the need to walk that character back several hundred paces from the cartoon he had become by the end of last season, but it was really kind of pitiful how brazenly they were begging viewers to give him another chance.

Morrissey didn't really help matters. I'm not sure which was worse, his wig and fake beard or his actual performance in that getup. Granted, I had just watched ONLY GOD FORGIVES the day before this episode, so it's possible I was mentally primed to laugh hysterically at a nearly mute guy dumbly puttering around.

Maybe I misunderstood the episode, but I thought last night pre-dated everything we had seen of the Governor before.  I thought the girl was his zombie daughter that he had chained up.

Nah, remember: he was blinded at Woodbury by Michonne, and was rocking the eye patch last night.

Hey look, here are EVEN MORE NEW CHARACTERS FOR YOU TO NOT CARE ABOUT! Someone on Twitter said something about "Tara" last night, and I thought there was a Sons of Anarchy crossover because I had no earthly idea who Tara was. They're cycling characters in and out so quick that even the staff of 24 thinks they're doing too much.

Maybe I misunderstood the episode, but I thought last night pre-dated everything we had seen of the Governor before.  I thought the girl was his zombie daughter that he had chained up.

Nah, remember: he was blinded at Woodbury by Michonne, and was rocking the eye patch last night.

Well that, plus they showed Governor burning the town and at the end of the episode when he and the little girl were in the grave, he was seen by one of his guys who responded with a "holy shit". I guess we find out next week why the Governor split with his lieutenants.

Hey look, here are EVEN MORE NEW CHARACTERS FOR YOU TO NOT CARE ABOUT! Someone on Twitter said something about "Tara" last night, and I thought there was a Sons of Anarchy crossover because I had no earthly idea who Tara was. They're cycling characters in and out so quick that even the staff of 24 thinks they're doing too much.

I'd watch a show that consisted of Chibbs, Tig, Ratboy and Happy battling zombies.

This show is always better when imagining what other fictional characters in it. Superior Kentucky lawman Raylan Givens blowing away the Governor the moment he put his gun down at that neutral ground meeting last season was my favorite moment that never happened.

Well that, plus they showed Governor burning the town and at the end of the episode when he and the little girl were in the grave, he was seen by one of his guys who responded with a "holy shit". I guess we find out next week why the Governor split with his lieutenants.

The way I read the opening was that THEY split from him. They could see he had lost his edge and that he just didn't care any more which made him a liability.

I actually loved this episode. It felt like a great change of pace to have some real development in a character. I also loved the intimate setting. When he was putting the old man to bed and you could hear the walkers upstairs... Creepy stuff.

Man you guys are giving me chills with this SOA/Walking Dead talk. It'd be the worst "best" show on TV. Granted, I wouldn't mind Clay and Merle as the top heel tag-team in Georgia causing all kinds of ruckus for Rick.