DVDVR Message Board

The Walking Dead.

The Natural

So the scrapheap crew from this episode aren't in the comics, are they? There's a lot of them, and a few are very tall. I guess Rick's plan is to use them as cannon fodder... would have been nice to hear how they grew (and maintained) such a large crew without weapons, and where they get their food from (they'd need a lot of it). But nah, look at this cool visual effect we thought up - a spiky zombie! With spikes on!

We cut into cans and they're rotten on the insides sometime...

but we found 9 thousand bottles of top end shampoo so if we want to keep our hair long and luxurious, we surely can.

#Heapsters

16 hours ago, AxB said:

So the scrapheap crew from this episode aren't in the comics, are they? There's a lot of them, and a few are very tall. I guess Rick's plan is to use them as cannon fodder... would have been nice to hear how they grew (and maintained) such a large crew without weapons, and where they get their food from (they'd need a lot of it). But nah, look at this cool visual effect we thought up - a spiky zombie! With spikes on!

I kept expecting them to break out the junkyard musical instruments like Fat Albert.  Nah, they're not in the comics.

I did enjoy Winslow the Spiky Pit Zombie.  He looked like an Iron maiden album cover.

Holy shit the background of the shots where Rick is on top of the trash heap is The Room-level greenscreen.

• Like 2

My biggest issue was how devolved their language was, they were talking like they were multiple generations removed from functional society with proper language. It was so ridiculous that they would be speaking in that way after so little time. My wife's theory on Winslow was that the effects dudes just really wanted to make a spikey Mad Max looking zombie, so they did. 

Yeah, exactly. Even though they have a whole massive source material to steal from, they just stick anything in there they think might be cool. They're booking for twitter pops.

Maybe the scavengers just like talking differently when newcomers are around to mess with them. It's like King Ezekiel kayfabing everyone not named Carol.

Ok, ok, they just called it the Up Up Up because you can't call it a Thunderdome if you don't have a dome.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some of these TWD cast members won't have to work again for years. There's a horror/sci-fi convention coming to my part of the country this month. Photo op with Jeffrey Dean Morgan? 100 bucks.

On 2/22/2017 at 0:40 PM, zev said:

Maybe the scavengers just like talking differently when newcomers are around to mess with them. It's like King Ezekiel kayfabing everyone not named Carol.

My theory is that the scavengers are just a bunch of carnies who gathered together for survival (because any normal person would instinctively kill a carny on sight, I mean just look at the carnival Rick stumbled on). Hence, the way they speak evolved from carny lingo.

I not so secretly hope Kizarny makes a cameo.

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

WTF is up with the junkyard chick's hair?

I took it as her being part Vulcan/Romulan.

Per this week's episode:

Spoiler

That stupid shitty ass CGI'd deer.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

Uneventful again. But hey, Steven Ogg's on Talking Dead next week.

Spoiler

But it's always fun to watch Carol with new ways to kill Walkers. And oh yeah, Morgan gets points for getting rid of a character I couldn't stand.

Can Morgan now do us a favor and get rid of Rosita and Sasha before they get all the other survivors killed?

Like I can understand wanting to kill Negan over Abraham...but Spencer?  The dude just tried to convince Negan to kill Rick so Spencer could be the new leader.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:41 PM, Technico Support said:

I really liked this episode but god damn, they had one trope in full effect with that kid getting killed.  As soon as you take an ancillary character and give us a reason to care about him, you fucking KNOW he's going to die.

Soon as he handed over the painting to Morgan, it was a matter of how, not if, he was going to get killed by season's end.

• Like 1

Third-to-last episode of the season so of course nothing much happens until the final minute and they're just treading water.  Good to know Negan was polite enough to hold off coming out of his hideout until Rosita and Sasha finished their heart to heart.  

• Like 1