DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Playoffs: SEMIFINALS

Contentious C

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I might have to cheer for the Warriors.    Drake is enough for me to turn on the Raps

It's Drake...he may rock a dual jersey/jacket like Dell and Sonya Curry did for the WCF.

39 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's Drake...he may rock a dual jersey/jacket like Dell and Sonya Curry did for the WCF.

I wouldn't be shocked if he cheered for the Raps for 3 games and then removed his jersey only to reveal a Warriors jersey underneath at the championship celebration. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I wouldn't be shocked if he cheered for the Raps for 3 games and then removed his jersey only to reveal a Warriors jersey underneath at the championship celebration. 

drake_international_smoke.0.0.jpg

• Haha 1

I don't believe in most of the Raptors supporting cast to be consistent on the offensive end, but they have a better personnel of players to build a wall against Giannis than the Celtics, who had a decent game plan for him. Even while hobble, Kawhi is still a monster on the defensive end. Both teams seem to go through awful offensive droughts during the game, which made me squeamish about what the Warriors are going to do them. Van Vleet's threes really saved the day.

I don't want to jinx it but I wish I had the balls to bet on the Raptors to make finals before the playoffs started. Don't blow it, Toronto.

Edited by _MJ_

23 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

I don't want to jinx it but I wish I had the balls to bet on the Raptors to make finals before the playoffs started.

Never mind that, I wish I had the balls to post on this board that the Raptors would make the finals before this series started.

(Not sure I actually believed they would, though. And I'd be insanely nervous about a game 7 in Milwaukee if that's what it comes down to.)

• Like 1

On the one hand seeing Giannis turn into tzatziki Hakim Warrick and the Bucks piss away the game in distressing. 

On the other hand Fred Van Vleet was one of my favorite Shockers ever and it's awesome to see him be that dude in the playoffs so I'll call it a push.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Infinit said:

That got a giggle out of me. Bravo!

Somebody on twitter last night came up with "Chobani Bargnani" and I legit blew soda out of my nose.

I love Giannis but I love slandering people on the internet even more.

• Haha 3

For real, I don't think you can develop that sort of reputation based on one year.  It's his first time on this big of a stage.  If it happens again next year, then maybe we're on to something.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

For real, I don't think you can develop that sort of reputation based on one year.  It's his first time on this big of a stage.  If it happens again next year, then maybe we're on to something.

Then the year after that and the year after that

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

When my family came to see me for the first time in Chicago, they ran into this woman who was yelling at pedestrians some outlandish shit, and she'd make signs with her fingers like she was casting hexes at people. 

My dad started to talk to her like "Hey what the hell is your problem lady?"

I said "Yo, let it go, just let her do what she's doing. She's sick in the head."

My dad didn't understand. He came from a small town and didn't get why she was just out and about losing her mind. People like that would get picked up and taken care of. But in Chicago, you just can't help all of them.

I think of this story every time someone responds to Lawful Metal.

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Well, fortunately, we're not just looking at one year.  Let's look at what Giannis and the Bucks have done since 2013. 

2013-14: Worst record in the league. Missed the Playoffs.

2014-15: 6th seed, lost in first round to Chicago in six games.

2015-2016: Missed the Playoffs.

2016-2017: 6th seed, lost in first round to Toronto in six games.

2017-2018: 7th seed, lost in first round to Boston in 7 games.

2018-2019:  Currently losing to Toronto in the Eastern Conference Finals. 

Just for comparison, let's see what James Harden, notorious choker has done since 2013-2014:

2013-2014: 4th seed, lost in first round to Portland in 6 games.

2014-2015: 2nd seed, lost in Western Conference Finals vs. Golden State in 5 games.

2015-2016: 8th seed, lost in first round to Golden State in 5 games.

2016-2017: 3rd seed, lost in second round to San Antonio in 6 games. 

2017-2018: 1st seed, lost in the Western Conference Finals to Golden State in 7 games. 

2018-2019: 4th seed, lost in second round to Golden State in 6 games. 

So, through 2018, Giannis has a 5-12 playoff record and two fail to make the playoffs.  Harden has 30 or so playoff wins (~20 losses).

And Giannis has completely disappeared in the fourth quarters and OT in this series.  Hasn't scored at all in overtime, and his highest point total in the 4th this series is what, 6 points?

Edited by Lawful Metal
pronouns

This is kinda why you see a move like KD to the Warriors.  It's gotten to the point in the media and on basketball Twitter that if you are a star player and you're not winning titles then you are a loser. KD does not let that shit roll off his shoulders, he's still not happy even after the two rings because he forgot that on basketball Twitter (which means a lot to him) that it's now not just about rings but also how you get them.  LeBron saw that too.  He didn't win over everyone until he went back to Cleveland and brought them a title as the clear best player on the team. In Miami there were still people saying maybe not that Wade was better but it was "his team".  The Warriors are "Steph's team". 

How did everyone feel when Malone and Payton went to the Lakers to chase a ring? I thought it was a bitch move then. LeBron to Miami was a bitch move too. KD to GS was even bigger because GS just beat OKC that year, and they didn’t even need him. They just needed him to not be on OKC. 

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

How did everyone feel when Malone and Payton went to the Lakers to chase a ring? I thought it was a bitch move then. LeBron to Miami was a bitch move too. KD to GS was even bigger because GS just beat OKC that year, and they didn’t even need him. They just needed him to not be on OKC. 

There were people who didn't like it.  There were people who thought they were old as hell and deserved that opportunity.  There were people who thought they'd be unstoppable. There were people who thought it could be a clown show. 

I thought Malone and Payton was two guys at the end of the road who had no chance of winning in their current situation trying to win a title. Did not have an issue with it.

I'm imagining a world where Sam Presti re-signs Harden instead of trading him for Steven Adams' draft pick and a bag of magic beans.  And perhaps in that same world, they convince Westbrook he's better off as a cutter/slasher while Harden is the primary ball handler.  I envision two things happening:

- All the Durant chatter never happens, because, for a couple of years, OKC out-performs GS; and,

- Lawful talks an INCREDIBLE amount of shit about James Harden's game because he's in the wrong uniform.

These are both funny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4