DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Playoffs: SEMIFINALS

Contentious C

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Blazers blow another 15+ point lead,  3rd straight game.   Doesn't the NBA realize people are tired of the Superman comeback gimmick? 

What?

[05/19/19 - 06:53 AM]
ESPN's Second Highest Rated NBA Conference Finals Game 3 Ever
ESPN spins the numbers for Saturday, May 18.

[via press release from ESPN]

Metered Market Ratings Up From Last Two Years

Last night's Golden State Warriors victory over the Portland Trail Blazers is now ESPN's second highest rated NBA Conference Finals Game 3 ever, according to Nielsen. The telecast delivered a 5.4 metered market rating, up 17 percent from the 2017 Western Conference Finals Game 3 - the last time ESPN televised the Western Finals. It is also up six percent from ESPN's Eastern Conference Finals coverage last year.

Saturday night's ESPN telecast peaked with a 6.2 metered market rating from 11:30-11:45 p.m. ET. The top five highest rated local markets were San Francisco (21.4), Portland (19.6), Sacramento (9.4), Salt Lake City (8.1), and New Orleans (7.0).

Last night's Game 3 is only behind ESPN's Miami Heat vs. Boston Celtics Game 3 in 2012 (5.6 metered market rating) as the network's highest rated Conference Finals Game 3 ever. Additionally, Game 3 of the 2009 NBA Western Conference Finals - Los Angeles Lakers vs. Denver Nuggets - drew a 6.6 metered market rating on ABC.

Through 27 games, ESPN and ABC's 2019 NBA Playoffs coverage is averaging a 3.6 metered market rating, up three percent from 2018 and up nine percent from 2017.

The 2019 NBA Western Conference Finals continue with Game 4 on Monday, May 20, at 9 p.m. ET. In addition to the game telecast, ESPN is offering several alternative viewing experiences on the ESPN App and.

The best they could hope for is the Warriors waiting until the 4th quarter to make their rally, a long dramatic stretch where both teams put up brick after brick going into OT, and Draymond hitting a dagger three (and then hilariously staring down the Portland bench) leading to Dame's desperate attempt at a game winner.

It wasn't going back to Oakland.

These Blazers are pretty much teflon in Portland this year after the Thunder and Nuggets series.   Good run.  However, this version of their team has nothing for the current Warriors.  Nothing.  I don't even think that's a vulgar thing to say considering how good the Warriors have been, but I think they'll have to wait for the Warriors to be on the downside of their run to ever be seen as a valid threat to them.

5 straight finals for the Golden State.  Not bad...

Edited by _MJ_

22 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

[05/19/19 - 06:53 AM]
ESPN spins the numbers for Saturday, May 18.

I mean the article dumps on the boast in the next sentence.  What the fuck kinda brag is that?  If you aren't #1, you sure don't get to add "EVER" to it.  

1 minute ago, sydneybrown said:

I mean the article dumps on the boast in the next sentence.  What the fuck kinda brag is that?  If you aren't #1, you sure don't get to add "EVER" to it.  

Thank you, Reese Bobby.

4 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

I think they'll have to wait for the Warriors to be on the downside of their run to ever be seen as a valid threat to them.

Yeah but things can change quickly if they could make a couple moves.. I think Dame and CJ are great enough but they need a reliable third option in the front court and a couple other role pieces. I don't know how they'll be able to swing it but you cannot be playing Evan Turner and Aminu and these kind of guys and expect to be better than a 2nd round exit. They actually overachieved. 

Portland needs the same thing Houston does: a front court playmaker that can punish opponents on the pick n roll.

Basically, what Green has been doing since KD got hurt (and what he used to do before they signed KD) on offense.

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Right. Supporting cast wasn't there to hit their open looks and it allowed the Raps to focus mostly on Giannis. They'll make those shots at home. 

Giannis is a choker who can’t raise the levels of his supporting cast

kinda rooting for the Raptors, only because if they choke this away, I'll feel bad for their fans....well most of their fans.

However I reserve the right to point and laugh if they do fuck this up.