DVDVR Message Board

E3 2019 THREAD

RIPPA

I guess I'm one of those FF7 fans that loved the original, but the more I see from this game the less excited I am. I'm more into turn based combat for RPGs so the combat doesn't grab me. And if it's just Midgard for 60 bucks and then I gotta WAIT for more, and trust that it'll come out in a reasonable time frame and maybe pay the same....nah. 

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I guess I'm one of those FF7 fans that loved the original, but the more I see from this game the less excited I am. I'm more into turn based combat for RPGs so the combat doesn't grab me. And if it's just Midgard for 60 bucks and then I gotta WAIT for more, and trust that it'll come out in a reasonable time frame and maybe pay the same....nah. 

Yeah, the episodic part is the biggest concern for me. With Hitman, there were no problems, but that's an entirely different studio making that game and they pretty much had everything built and ready to go.

With FF7, given how long it's taken to even get to this point, shit, I could easily see a scenario happening where you're waiting as long for the 3rd or 4th episode for FF7 as long as people have waited for waited for Half-Life 2: Episode 3. It may never even come out.

And again, most of this shit isn't even necessary. How many people were really clamoring for MORE disc 1 shit in FF7? Do we really need whatever insane graphics they're creating for this or even longer cut scene videos that put MGS to shame?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, the episodic part is the biggest concern for me. With Hitman, there were no problems, but that's an entirely different studio making that game and they pretty much had everything built and ready to go.

With FF7, given how long it's taken to even get to this point, shit, I could easily see a scenario happening where you're waiting as long for the 3rd or 4th episode for FF7 as long as people have waited for waited for Half-Life 2: Episode 3. It may never even come out.

And again, most of this shit isn't even necessary. How many people were really clamoring for MORE disc 1 shit in FF7? Do we really need whatever insane graphics they're creating for this or even longer cut scene videos that put MGS to shame?

If they're going for full length recreations of most of this game it definitely asks a lot of questions. Do stats, items, equipment, etc. carry over between games? Also, it adds to skepticism of if they'll ever finish the project since one underperforming release will just have Square pull out of the project, but it also allows them to not have to address a new numbered game for awhile, and allow them to constantly add content to FFXIV.

I think, as is probably usual, there's been a lot of neat things in the smaller shows around E3. Including that Empire of Sin game, the strategy title about mob-era Chicago, is actually a John Romero project? What? Astral Chain, the Switch game that looks like Akira crossed with classic God of War or something, looks cool as hell and has been in a couple segments. There was a hilarious looking game where goofy looking jellybean people compete in 100 player multiplayer game show obstacle courses which is 100% going to be fun for the Twitch crowd. The Dark Crystal tactics-style game actually looks pretty good? All kinds of weird small shit.

12 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I think, as is probably usual, there's been a lot of neat things in the smaller shows around E3. Including that Empire of Sin game, the strategy title about mob-era Chicago, is actually a John Romero project? What? Astral Chain, the Switch game that looks like Akira crossed with classic God of War or something, looks cool as hell and has been in a couple segments. There was a hilarious looking game where goofy looking jellybean people compete in 100 player multiplayer game show obstacle courses which is 100% going to be fun for the Twitch crowd. The Dark Crystal tactics-style game actually looks pretty good? All kinds of weird small shit.

Yeah, we've been checking that stuff out and they all look pretty cool.  The one that we're getting today is Cadence of Hyrule.  The music is lovely and it's got that cool mix of Zelda and Night of the Necromancer.  We also are in love with New Super Lucky's Tale.  I know it was on Xbox but it's great to see it coming soon to Switch.  Heck, we may even give Yooka-Laylee another shot assuming they fix the glitches they ran into during the Treehouse.

On 6/14/2019 at 1:17 PM, MarcosLoura said:

The world wept.

The absolute boy, Johnny Vignocchi, did not ride with the crew on Nite Three.

The big N claims another soul.

(this is purposely obtuse, do not worry if you don't get it)

Nite 3 is the one I still haven't watched yet, but I know that Johnny V was around because there's pictures of him with others from Giant Bomb and just others who were there in the commons room. That's disappointing if he doesn't show up on the video stream. He's one of the things I look forward too each year. Each year I know I'm going to get Jeff interviewing Phil Spencer on night 2, Johnny V and Cowboy will show up at some point, and lately we're going to at least get Austin Creed on there and last year he was there with Samoa Joe.

• Like 1