DVDVR Message Board

E3 2019 THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Casey said:

The only design I didn't like was Captain America and Thor. Cap was because the suit made him look like he had a beer gut, and Thor just looks really weird for whatever reason.

Iron Man, Hulk/Banner and Natasha looked perfectly fine. Crossbones looked dope. We're all thrown by the character designs because they don't look like the versions we've seen for the past 10+ years. It's easy to do with Spider-Man since he's in costume more often than not, and we've had three different versions in the mainstream in two decades. For a lot of us, people like Evans, RDJ, Hemsworth, etc. ARE those characters now, so radical departures from how they look is shocking.

I don't see anyone out here complaining that Hank Pym isn't a geriatric cranky fucker in this game.

I don't mind that the characters don't resemble their MCU counterparts. You're right that the actors are those characters. They are to me. The character designs and the graphics look rough.

Edited by The Natural

7 hours ago, Raziel said:

Wait wait wait, are they charging $60 an EPISODE?? 

Fuck that.

I can't see them charging full price for episodes. That would cause a meltdown of massive levels. 

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I can't see them charging full price for episodes. That would cause a meltdown of massive levels. 

Considering how much they charge for Final Fantasy games on app stores, I wouldn't be shocked to see them be really tonedeaf and charge $60 per episode.

At the same time, maybe they're looking at how successful Hitman was by following an episodic format. Although in the case of Hitman, they were ready to roll those episodes out steadily.

This Avengers game sounds really bad...I'm getting Anthem vibes.

I'm watching the Giant Bomb at Nite stream from very early this morning and the first thing they talked about was Avengers. It was described as looking and feeling very old. Repetitive too. Like, you're doing to same moves over and over and over and over again. They also didn't explain how multiplayer actually works and it sounds like the multiplayer might be a gimmick. They were really underwhelmed.

It's great that the team behind the game is paying attention to the negative feedback though it would have been best to just not show anything yet.  That or it's like the Sonic movie where somebody actually thought this would be good and got a dose of reality.  Either way I hope next time they show it it ends up a lot better.  But I'm better off just getting Ultimate Alliance if I want a console Marvel game.

• Like 2

That Square Enix conference seemed like it was out of a time warp.  I would have loved every game they showed if it was.... 1999, maybe?  

I thought Nintendo had easily the best slate of games of anything shown.

Still hate the vibe from that Limited Run twitch stream.  They'll get my money, but I hate the way they artificially create demand (and a thriving market for scalpers) and I really hated their "playing to the basement-dwelling neckbeard demographic" presentation.  Act like professionals, guys!

1 hour ago, Doc Townsend said:

That Square Enix conference seemed like it was out of a time warp.  I would have loved every game they showed if it was.... 1999, maybe?  

I thought Nintendo had easily the best slate of games of anything shown.

Still hate the vibe from that Limited Run twitch stream.  They'll get my money, but I hate the way they artificially create demand (and a thriving market for scalpers) and I really hated their "playing to the basement-dwelling neckbeard demographic" presentation.  Act like professionals, guys!

If I knew that was how they were doing the stream I would have held off on linking it.  I just saw it existed but couldn't hear what they were saying due to being at work so my bad.  But that's a bummer and I hope they reconsider how they do things for next year.

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Wow, yeah they are screwed if they expect many to pay that unless there is a hell of a lot more beyond Midgard that they just aren't showing us. This hasn't killed my excitement though its definitely gone from a first few weeks buy down to waiting for a minimum of a 40-50% sale or a general knockdown on the price.

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It's great that the team behind the game is paying attention to the negative feedback though it would have been best to just not show anything yet.  That or it's like the Sonic movie where somebody actually thought this would be good and got a dose of reality.  Either way I hope next time they show it it ends up a lot better.  But I'm better off just getting Ultimate Alliance if I want a console Marvel game.

I disagree here. If anything its people seeing what they showed at E3 now that will allow them to fix issues from design to whatever else. I wouldn't be shocked if it was shown to give someone in charge a dose of reality.

The game devs for Avengers sounded very confident in what they were showing off. At the same time, they never bothered to point out how the game demo, which no one could actually play, was being played by no one in the room and was just a video of gameplay. I'm not sure if that says more about their confidence in the game or if it shows concern and they don't even want to address who or what was playing the demo.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Wow, yeah they are screwed if they expect many to pay that unless there is a hell of a lot more beyond Midgard that they just aren't showing us. 

I think you might be underestimating the zealotry of the FF7 fan base, just a tad.  This game will be huge, no matter what.  They’ll even sell stupid amounts of the $300 ultra-mega collector’s edition.

FWIW though, this game is going to be 2 discs long, by itself, so clearly they’re expanding it quite a bit.  Sephiroth is in the trailer, but didn’t appear in Midgard in the original game, for example.

Jesus. The way you guys have been talking about FF7 makes me think I don't remember anything from it and I played through it twice. Honestly, the whole talk about Midgard doesn't ring a bell. So the first time you bump into Sephiroth...is that in that town that's burning? That happens AFTER Midgard? The Midgard stuff must be really short then or it's short in comparison to everything else. That first disc took fucking forever to get through and I also remember wandering around the overworld in a ship or something for a long ass time just grinding out levels.

WTF could they have possibly added to make Midgard take up a whole $60 game?!

30 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I wouldn't be shocked if it was shown to give someone in charge a dose of reality.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.  I'll be very curious to see how this plays out.

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Jesus. The way you guys have been talking about FF7 makes me think I don't remember anything from it and I played through it twice. Honestly, the whole talk about Midgard doesn't ring a bell. So the first time you bump into Sephiroth...is that in that town that's burning? That happens AFTER Midgard? The Midgard stuff must be really short then or it's short in comparison to everything else. That first disc took fucking forever to get through and I also remember wandering around the overworld in a ship or something for a long ass time just grinding out levels.

WTF could they have possibly added to make Midgard take up a whole $60 game?!

I want to say you don't run into Sephiroth until the Ancient City where he kills Aerith. Before then you just see the aftermath of his actions and false memories from Cloud. Midgard takes up a good portion of the beginning. Its actually not super short. Its why I would have been fine with a first episode expanding it running 20-30$

Just to confirm my memory, I checked a walkthrough. The Midgard part takes about 1300 lines to get through, while the rest of disc 1 takes another 2600 lines (incl. 400 lines or so for the Wutai subquest, which can be done at a later point of the game as well). The other thing I checked was a 100% speedrun (which takes about 19 h in total, including the sometime hour-long "weapon" fights). There the Midgard part takes about 2 h, while the rest of disc 1 takes another 4 h. So I suppose it is fair to say, that Midgard takes up about 1/3 of disc 1.

Edited by Robert s

4 hours ago, EVA said:

I think you might be underestimating the zealotry of the FF7 fan base, just a tad.  This game will be huge, no matter what.  They’ll even sell stupid amounts of the $300 ultra-mega collector’s edition.

This.

I never played Final Fantasy games (I dabbled a little with 3 and 4 (I think?) on an emulator like 16 years ago), but I'm fully aware that a lot of people are going nuclear over the Remake. I think folks might be underestimating all the weebs (I'm using this term in the most affectionate way possible) that loved this Squeenix conference. 

Yeah.  I mean, at this point, we don't know if it's $60 per episode or if it's $60, and they'll just pull a Tell Tale and release the rest over time.  But if they 2 Discs are true, then I understand the price point, I just don't agree with remaking a game but making it so massive that it's going to end up costing $300 by the time the smoke clears if you get everything day 1.  The opening Midgar sequence took me something like 20 hours first playthrough, so 2 discs and it taking long enough to be worth the price seems like they might be overdoing it.  unless they're churning them out on the regular, I can't see them maintaining momentum enough to get the whole game out at those prices, especially less than 2 years out from the next Gen and I'm sure there's a team somewhere working on FFXVI.  

I thought Avengers was fine, but I would like it more if it was a 5 player squad based co op game than a GAAS game. Character designs didn't bother me, since there's not a set way for the characters to look (although Nolan North as Tony Stark sounds like Nathan Drake).

I am actually really excited about the idea of an Avengers game where WCA-era Hank is playable rather than one of the size-changing versions.  

Also, Arcade1up announced several new replica cabs: the Atari Star Wars games, TMNT/Turtles in Time, and X-Men: Children of the Atom/Marvel Super Heroes/Punisher (the Capcom beat-em-up with Nick Fury as P2).  Reviews of the MK Trilogy machine make it sound like they've largely solved the mushy joystick issue the first wave had, which is good because my exprience with a demo cab wasn't great.  TMNT is also their first 4-player machine, which actually makes me LESS likely to buy because I have exactly one place I could put one and Donatello would be unplayable because his stick would be against the wall.  They're also gonna make cocktails for Capcom and Namco, no full game lists announced.  

Extended VtM: Bloodlines 2 "gameplay footage."

Obviously showing off game features and not really an honest playthrough. 

Looks like you are a Thinblood in this game rather than a full-fledged vampire.   Like the character in the game, I will be all about the Mistform discipline when I get my hands on this fucking thing..

Speaking of which.  For a player using a character with disciplines tailor made for infiltration, he gives zero fucks about keeping a low profile.

Doesn't seem to care much about the Masquerade, either, since he's scaling buildings with his bare hands in full view of kine bystanders.

Edited by J.T.

I wound up watching that 20 or 30 minute Nintendo Treehouse video for Marvel Alliance 3 and man that game looks fun as fuck. They made it sound really button mashy, which will be up my daughter's alley, but it also sounds like from other impressions that the game is really deep. So it sounds like it's something for everyone. I also really love the look of it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I wound up watching that 20 or 30 minute Nintendo Treehouse video for Marvel Alliance 3 and man that game looks fun as fuck. They made it sound really button mashy, which will be up my daughter's alley, but it also sounds like from other impressions that the game is really deep. So it sounds like it's something for everyone. I also really love the look of it.

I had a passing interest in the game but after seeing the video I'm pretty much sold on it.  Still debating on if I want to get it on day 1(ish) but will definitely be getting it.  Of course going back to my point earlier I would need to factor in storage space as we have a ton of games that we're looking to get and NBA 2K19 took up more space than I realized.

• Like 1