DVDVR Message Board

E3 2019 THREAD

RIPPA

10 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

This Nintendo showcase has actually been... pretty good? They have a ton of stuff on the way.

I'm looking at it and first thought is "Shit, we need more storage space for all this"

And new Zelda is just outstanding.  That plus you get Dragon Quest and Banjoo and Kazooie as upcoming DLCs for Smash.  Damn, that was some pretty cool stuff from Nintendo.

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Animal Crossing will never come out

I actually like their explanation for why it wouldn't come out this year.  It's not ideal but it is kind of refreshing hearing them apologize and say why.   There's just so damn much that they're taking on in-house that I completely understand if they need to push it back a bit.

New Zelda is coming when new Metroid is coming so lets pump the breaks a little bit on that

At least the Breath of the Wild sequel has a teaser unlike just throwing up the Metroid logo

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

To be fair, wasn't all work on the new Metroid Prime scrapped and the new team is starting over from scratch?

Yes but that was well after everyone declaring NINTENDO WON E3 BECAUSE OF METROID!!!!

Just like how Shenmue 3 won E3 that one year

• Haha 1

I will say that while I liked the DLC announcement for Banjoo did anybody else think they were going to announce a new Donkey Kong Country game?  Because I sure as shit though they would until Duck Hunt was shown.

I also could have sworn somebody on here was hoping for a new Panzer Dragoon.  If they were then it looks like it's finally coming out.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

This E3 has been a ton of talking about other bullshit and not showing the game or their idea of showing the game is showing a video that doesn't include gameplay.

You could use this description for 90% of the E3 press conferences of the last 5 years. Trying to sell a game by using actual gameplay footage (instead of showing cut sequences or even prerendered stuff that won't end up in the game at all) is so 2010.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yes but that was well after everyone declaring NINTENDO WON E3 BECAUSE OF METROID!!!!

Just like how Shenmue 3 won E3 that one year

Metroid is actually good though?

Besides there is now a super high probability that E3 2020 Nintendo has something to show for both Metroid and Zelda which is pretty wild.

Overall it was a middling E3, but I don't think we had any reason to expect otherwise. There were some fun big announcements, none of the conferences were an outright trainwreck, and there was way too fucking much cinematic trailer with nothing to actually show. Keanu Reeves, with alcohol, appeared and had fun with us. Bethesda needs to work on training their crowd plants. Microsoft buying like every small studio on earth looks like it's going to pay off eventually. The Switch lineup was overall very good. Square was very good even with the lame Avengers announcement on the end. 

Too many leaks killed most of the drama. The hardware announcements were all intentionally vague, big shock there.

I don't think anyone really expected this to be a big E3 conference so overall I'd say it probably met expectations.

My two big takeaways are that there are a ton of bigger titles lined up for Switch this year and that I am still not sold on the FF VII remake. From what they have shown so far, it looks as if they are trying to sell the first couple of hours of the original game as a standalone game. So far, they have not shown any non-Midgard footage (or any of the main party characters besides Cloud, Barett, Tifa and Aerith), which either means that they are super-protective (for something that should come out in 9 months), or that the game is Midgard-only.

37 minutes ago, Robert s said:

My two big takeaways are that there are a ton of bigger titles lined up for Switch this year and that I am still not sold on the FF VII remake. From what they have shown so far, it looks as if they are trying to sell the first couple of hours of the original game as a standalone game. So far, they have not shown any non-Midgard footage (or any of the main party characters besides Cloud, Barett, Tifa and Aerith), which either means that they are super-protective (for something that should come out in 9 months), or that the game is Midgard-only.

Episode 1 is going to be just Midgard.

How many episodes after that? Well. . .

Seems like a solid strategy to me.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, EVA said:

No, it has nothing to do with the MCU, despite some of the designs looking uncannily similar.

I loved the bit near the where Tony shoots something and then turns around like he's about to casually walk away, just like the bit where he blows up the tank in the first movie. They're gonna lift so many choices from the films. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I also could have sworn somebody on here was hoping for a new Panzer Dragoon.  If they were then it looks like it's finally coming out.

Not me but I'm tempted to buy a Switch for this. I don't wanna pay the prices that it's going for on ebay

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Episode 1 is going to be just Midgard.

How many episodes after that? Well. . .

Seems like a solid strategy to me.

Wait wait wait, are they charging $60 an EPISODE?? 

Fuck that.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I don't see how the Square Enix conference was good.

Unless you're really excited about re-releases for FF games.

To be honest I think the best thing they have is Final Fantasy 14, which is probably the best paid MMO in the world right now. I enjoy a good Ubisoft spin-job as much as anyone because lord knows they are good at it, but Square could have shown literally nothing but Shadowbringers hype and I'd probably still rate it slightly above "Watch Dogs 3 could possibly not suck + 45 minutes of muddled nonsense after that". I'm also counting overall production value of the shows, and Square had a pretty good flow. 

That they actually managed to make a game as dull as Final Fantasy 7 look interesting is also nothing short of a miracle. I'm actually super happy they are totally reworking that ultra-basic combat system. Though anyone that shells out $300 for that stupid part 1 collector's edition is a giant fucking fool.

The only design I didn't like was Captain America and Thor. Cap was because the suit made him look like he had a beer gut, and Thor just looks really weird for whatever reason.

Iron Man, Hulk/Banner and Natasha looked perfectly fine. Crossbones looked dope. We're all thrown by the character designs because they don't look like the versions we've seen for the past 10+ years. It's easy to do with Spider-Man since he's in costume more often than not, and we've had three different versions in the mainstream in two decades. For a lot of us, people like Evans, RDJ, Hemsworth, etc. ARE those characters now, so radical departures from how they look is shocking.

I don't see anyone out here complaining that Hank Pym isn't a geriatric cranky fucker in this game.

Edited by Casey