DVDVR Message Board

E3 2019 THREAD

RIPPA

I remember Cristobal talking about how he disliked Watch Dogs 1 because he knew Chicago, and the map was nothing like the actual city. Just a bunch of Chicago landmarks dropped into a generic videogame city (that was a series of islands, which Chicago is not). Whereas with this one, OxBox Mike was saying he took a shortcut he knew in real life and it was much faster than the GPS recommended route, so I'm guessing London is actual London here.

EDIT: If Electric Avenue (the street, not the song) is in the game, everyone's going to recruit the most rasta looking guy they can find and go there with him.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Underwhelmed by the trailer and how some of the characters look.

Thor especially looked way off to me and Black Widow wasn't far behind.  I'm kinda okay with the other two.  But I can forgive it if the gameplay holds up and from what I saw it looks promising.  I had to cut out before hearing them talk about the game and it sounds like that's for the best.  Still really loved the Square Enix conference as it had a whole lot of good shit.  And I also liked Ubisoft's panel even if there weren't as many games of interest.  But while I played the first Watch Dogs and skipped the second the third one sounds like a must-buy.  And I really liked that Roller Champions game but wish my computer could handle the alpha game that's available for a few days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So for us folks who haven't watched End Game yet - will watching this trailer involve spoilers?

You're safe. This has nothing to do with the movie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I remember Cristobal talking about how he disliked Watch Dogs 1 because he knew Chicago, and the map was nothing like the actual city. Just a bunch of Chicago landmarks dropped into a generic videogame city (that was a series of islands, which Chicago is not). Whereas with this one, OxBox Mike was saying he took a shortcut he knew in real life and it was much faster than the GPS recommended route, so I'm guessing London is actual London here.

EDIT: If Electric Avenue (the street, not the song) is in the game, everyone's going to recruit the most rasta looking guy they can find and go there with him.

2 was supposed to be a condensed, yet accurate take on San Francisco. 

That Avengers reveal reminded me a lot of the Anthem panel from last year.  A lot of talking, not a lot of showing what the game actually is.  Really underwhelming.

And I hate that they seemed to have gone with a "the MCU but *just* off" design philosophy.  It's jarring.  They should've put more of their own spin on it, like Rocksteady did with Batman and Insomniac did with Spider-Man.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, EVA said:

That Avengers reveal reminded me a lot of the Anthem panel from last year.  A lot of talking, not a lot of showing what the game actually is.  Really underwhelming.

And I hate that they seemed to have gone with a "the MCU but *just* off" design philosophy.  It's jarring.  They should've put more of their own spin on it, like Rocksteady did with Batman and Insomniac did with Spider-Man.

I agree with both of these. This E3 has been a ton of talking about other bullshit and not showing the game or their idea of showing the game is showing a video that doesn't include gameplay. That whole Square Enix thing from yesterday was the biggest waste of time. If they weren't wasting a ton of time on Avengers, which was supposed to be one of the games of the show, then they announced one remake after another. Cool, a remake of the worst FF game. All 50 of those people begging for the FF8 remake will be super happy.

And yeah, it is really jarring to see Square Enix go 75% of the way towards making a MCU Avengers game. Normally I would say go all the way and really base the characters on those characters in the movies, or put your own spin on it. In this case, I think you can only put your own spin on it. 

To be honest, that one video really soured me on this Avengers game. The Marvel Alliance 3 Black Order game coming out in a month or two is right up my alley as far as what I'd want from a single to multi-player superhero game. This Avengers game looks to have put too much emphasis on being cinematic, having a great voice acting cast that includes Nolan North, and looking close to the MCU versions of these characters.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, EVA said:

I disagree. 

The announcement that Squeenix and Eidos are making a superhero game nearly got me fired because I was tempted to go pants free here at work.

I am the opposite of underwhelmed right now but I think it is worse for me, because I've fallen for the hype and I'll be really disappointed if this game sucks. 

If there is anything about the trailer that bothers me, it's that not all of the MCU trappings are in the trailer as if they haven't worked out all of the licensing issues yet. 

How do you have an Avengers debut game trailer and not use the Avengers intro theme to make nerds mark the fuck out?  

Edited by J.T.

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Vampire" The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

This thread seems to be designed to get me fired.   I am keeping my pants on at work, dammit.

The baseline game will probably just have the basic vampire archetypes but if they come out with a DLC that allows my Mekhet to become Khaibit, I will most certainly lose my shit.

If only Mike Naimark were here to mark out with me about this trailer.  I am sad.

Edited by J.T.

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Cool, a remake of the worst FF game. All 50 of those people begging for the FF8 remake will be super happy.

I wouldn't say a remake as much as a slight texture upgrade with the 3x speed add that they've already done to FFVII and FFIX and to a lesser extent with FFX and FFXII.

I'm surprised they didn't announce a 13 trilogy remaster.

43 minutes ago, EVA said:

This.

The logo kinda looks like the MCU Avengers logo but not quite, the characters, the theme song. Fucking weird.

• Like 4

My favorite part of the Avengers reveal might have been the Hank Pym stinger going over like a fart in church.  Nobody but the plants in the audience gave a shit.  Hilarious.

Granted, some of them may have been confused as to what they were watching, because Pym was the only character that didn't look like an offbrand MCU version from The Asylum's The Avengers.

Edited by EVA

Something else that has really bugged me about this year's E3 is that a lot of games have 2020 release dates. 2020, which is when Sony and Microsoft release their new systems. It's been a little bit, but I forgot how annoying this period of time is when a system is coming out, but new shit is still coming out for old systems and not the new one.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Something else that has really bugged me about this year's E3 is that a lot of games have 2020 release dates. 2020, which is when Sony and Microsoft release their new systems. It's been a little bit, but I forgot how annoying this period of time is when a system is coming out, but new shit is still coming out for old systems and not the new one.

I dunno ... I’d rather wait a year and just get the game on a next gen system than foolishly rebuy yet another game for multiple systems like so many of us did with GTAV/Destiny.

For what it is worth - Microsoft is saying that Project Scarlett will be 4 generation backwards compatible out of the box and that even includes the accessories like your controllers

So like if you buy that new Elite controller (that is nearly the cost of a fucking console) it will work on Scarlett when it comes out

3 minutes ago, CSC said:

I dunno ... I’d rather wait a year and just get the game on a next gen system than foolishly rebuy yet another game for multiple systems like so many of us did with GTAV/Destiny.

I'm not sure I can wait on the FF7 Remake, but something like Cyberpunk 2020 will probably wait until the "next-gen version" comes out.

Granted, I'd be wise to not buy anything for like 3 years and actually spend time with all the money I've already wasted.