DVDVR Message Board

UFC 237: Namajunas vs. Andrade (5/11/2019) - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Jeunesse Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

5 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

The angle on that slam was so scary. I'm just glad she's okay and only coming out of it with a concussion.

Same. That's a brutal f'n slam folding Rose Namajunas up.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

As much shit as I gave Gilliard Parana after how he handled Cachoeira in the Shevchenko fight, I have to hand it to him for this one.  After a tough first round, he kept Jessica compose and told her to go back to that slam. Jessica went for it so fast that Rose had no chance to counter it with a kimura.

4 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

When was the last time a champion lost title and their first response was: "This is a huge pressure off my shoulders."?

It wasn't his first response but Anderson like a few years after the first Weidman fight. However, this is clearly a different case. Rose just struggles with anxiety, hence, why it took so long for her to come back. Holly Holm struggles with that too, but rarely does it affect her overall performance. Rose gets into a headspace where every fight is a pressure cooker. I think the first fight with Joanna actually relaxed her because Joanna was so amped and overly emotional fight week that everything fell on Joanna to back up her shit talk.

44 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

When was the last time a champion lost their title and their first response was: "This is a huge pressure off my shoulders."?

I can understand it. Holding the belt probably makes fighters feel a ton of pressure and there's probably an odd sense of relief when they lose a fight. 

10 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

DC not understanding even a bit of that tells you everything you need to know about DC too.

People need to understand Cormier is like psychopathic levels of competitive.

Anyway, I compiled the W-L record of Brazilians in title fights in Brazil against non Brazilians. Andrade tonight made it 6-3 in favor of the Brazilians. The men have not won one since UFC 179 (Aldo vs. Mendes II) in October 2014. I wonder if Andrade winning this year turns the tide in terms of fan support for the female fighters. Andrade has made it clear she has no intentions on leaving Brazil to train elsewhere unlike her female contemporaries. Right now, the Brazilian fans need someone in their prime to back. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

DC not understanding even a bit of that tells you everything you need to know about DC too.

He's an unsympathetic asshole?

EDIT:

Rose at the press conference while she's not ready to make a decision yet said, "I just want to do something else with my life now."

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

He's an unsympathetic asshole?

18 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

People need to understand Cormier is like psychopathic levels of competitive.

I said this in 2016

The problem is Cormier wears his emotions on his sleeve. Dude had a conniption because Jon Jones was being cheered. If anything (should the fight go on as scheduled), this is going to piss him off even more.

I said this week of Jones vs. Cormier II

I'm more worried about Cormier than Jones on this one. If he doesn't win this one, he might retire because what is it left to do really? Why would he work his way back up to lose to Jon again when he is already 38? The heavyweight thing is sort of out the window because the UFC is still angling for his main training partner to get a title shot. He will always be the guy who was really good, but not great like Jon Jones. I think Cormier loves the paydays, but the problem is Cormier does wear his heart on his sleeve. Hard to sell a fight when you legit want to be and believe you're the best fighter in the division and the clear best fighter is right there. Moreover, he proved that by beating you 2 out of 2 times.

I remember in the embedded for I believe Miocic vs. Ngannou when Francis was doing media rounds and Ngannou playfully grabbed DC (Ngannou being a giant man does make it less playful but you get the point) and Cormier's innate reaction was to take off on Ngannou. He had that look his eye that is universal for "I'll seriously beat your ass right here in this lobby idgaf". Dom even brought up Cormier crying when he lost to Jon tonight. Cormier is an absolutely madman when it comes to competition. So when Rose said the pressure was finally off, knowing that about Cormier, it should not be a shock about what he said.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

If Rose Namajunas wants to retire, she has nothing to be ashamed. Considering she came into the UFC at 2-1 and lost her first UFC title fight, she's done very well for herself. 

She went from all out submission grappler with not a whole lot else to being able to piece up one of the best UFC strikers of all time twice in a little over three years.

I dunno if this is a sign, but it would be a bit wild if this was the end for one strawweight star in Rose and the birth of a new one in Viviane Araujo. What she did in the first fight tonight twenty pounds up in weight and on less than a week's notice was impressive. She had the most impressive female debut since Valentina against Kaufman on the Dos Anjos vs. Cerrone II card. I knew Valentina was good from her run in Legacy and picked her to win, but she made it look easy. Same with Araujo from her two Pancrase fights (her last one being for the Queen of Pancrase title). She is a pretty good athlete and her striking was absolutely on point. Didn't know she was 32, but she certainly doesn't look 32.

• Like 1

I had suspicions about Rose listening to her talk about gardening of all things. She just sounded like someone who was looking for something else to fill her life. I was surprised she was as dominant as she was before the slam.

I was watching the fight with the Brazilian commentary so I never got to hear what DC had to say about it, but I think it's cool if Rose wants to walk. She had a goal she achieved it, and she's content with that. She beat the Boogeywoman. I don't know if DC will ever have that kind of contentment. Not with Jones always having one over on him.

I can't imagine Andrade would want to step in with Joanna any time soon after this performance. Her head was pretty much in line with Rose's fist the whole time. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I had suspicions about Rose listening to her talk about gardening of all things. She just sounded like someone who was looking for something else to fill her life. I was surprised she was as dominant as she was before the slam.

I was watching the fight with the Brazilian commentary so I never got to hear what DC had to say about it, but I think it's cool if Rose wants to walk. She had a goal she achieved it, and she's content with that. She beat the Boogeywoman. I don't know if DC will ever have that kind of contentment. Not with Jones always having one over on him.

I can't imagine Andrade would want to step in with Joanna any time soon after this performance. Her head was pretty much in line with Rose's fist the whole time. 

Bernard Hopkins was willing to wait 16 years and 11 months to get that win back over Roy Jones Jr. and their feud wasn't even as half as intense as DC and Jon Jones.

• Like 1