DVDVR Message Board

UFC 237: Namajunas vs. Andrade (5/11/2019) - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Jeunesse Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

D1-fV_RU0AASPDD.jpg?1552950451

UFC 237: Namajunas vs. Andrade 
May 11, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Jeunesse Arena)

UFC Women's Strawweight Championship: Rose Namajunas © (114.5) vs. Jéssica Andrade (114.5) (second defense) - Andrade, KO (slam), R2 (2:58)
Jared Cannonier (184.5) vs. Anderson Silva (185) - Cannonier, TKO (leg kick), R1 (4:47)
José Aldo (146) vs. Alexander Volkanovski (145.5) - Volkanovski, DEC (unanimous)
Thiago Alves (170.5) vs. Laureano Staropoli (170.5) - Staropoli, DEC (unanimous)
Irene Aldana (135.5) vs. Bethe Correia (141)* - Aldana, SUB (armbar), R3 (3:24)

ESPN Preliminary Card:
Antônio Rogério Nogueira (203.5) vs. Ryan Spann (204) - Spann, KO (punches), R1 (2:07)
Thiago Moisés (155) vs. Kurt Holobaugh (154.5) - Moisés, DEC (unanimous)
Warlley Alves (170) vs. Sérgio Moraes (170) - Alves, KO (punch), R3 (4:13)
B.J. Penn (155.5) vs. Clay Guida (153.5) - Guida, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Luana Carolina (124.5) vs. Priscila Cachoeira (125.5) - Carolina, DEC (unanimous)
Raoni Barcelos (135.5) vs. Carlos Huachin (135.5) - Barcelos, TKO (punches and elbows), R2 (4:49)
Talita Bernardo (134.5) vs. Viviane Araujo (131) - Araujo, KO (punch), R3 (0:48)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Warlley Alves
Performance of the Night: Jéssica Andrade
Fight of the Night: Rose Namajunas vs. Jéssica Andrade

Attendance: 15,193
Buyrate:

Cancelled Bouts:
Talita Bernardo vs. Jessica-Rose Clark - Injury to Clark (Torn Right Foot Ligaments) 
Wu Yanan vs. Luana Carolina - Injury to Yanan 
Raoni Barcelos vs. Said Nurmagomedov - Injury to Nurmagomedov 
Talita Bernardo vs. Melissa Gatto - Gatto Skin Infection
Francisco Trinaldo vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira - Ferreira Kidney Stones

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

We're about to see if Rose just matches up with Joanna really well or if she is the real deal at 115.

She's the real deal.

• Like 1

In the last year and a half, Rose has only fought one person. In the next two months, Robert Whitaker would have only fought one person in the last two calendar years. Beating the former champ or legit top contender twice is impressive. However, to do that against a variety of top contenders who might present matchup problems is an entirely different issue. Look at Chris Weidman. He beat Anderson twice in a year, which was certainly a feather in his cap. You can't take that away from him. Then, he beat two guys who were way closer to end than the beginning. He went against another fighter in his athletic prime and what happened? This was a guy who was pegged as the future of the middleweight division along with Luke Rockhold. He isn't even in the conversation anymore and the other guy never had a successful title defense in addition to being in a different weight class now. I think everyone knew Rose wasn't a finished product when she fought Esparza in that dual TUF finale/inaugural title match. Trevor Wittman has put her in position to have a great run as champ. However, in order to rule the division with an iron fist, you still have to go out and win those fights first. They fight the fights for a reason. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

I am old. 

I have watched MMA long enough to remember when BJ Penn vs. Clay Guida would've been a Fight Night main event or a PPV upper card bout.

Today, it's a prelim fight.

Yeesh.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I am old. 

I have watched MMA long enough to remember when BJ Penn vs. Clay Guida would've been a Fight Night main event or a PPV upper card bout.

Yeesh.

it could still headline a local show.....maybe.

here's an interesting stat:  BJ Penn last win was against Matt Hughes. in 2010!

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I am old. 

Yeesh.

In 2009, when BJ was still Lightweight champ, it would have been a PPV main event. If Clay had beat Diego in that TUF finale fight where Clay did the Undertaker zombie situp after getting nearly KO'd in round 1, he would have gotten the title fight at UFC 107 instead of Diego. If you remember, the main event came together when Rampage decided to do the A-Team movie instead of fighting Rashad in Quinton's hometown for the TUF Heavyweights season coaches fight. I only still remember this because I lived less than two hours south of Memphis in Northwest Mississippi at the time and was planning to go had that been the main event as planned. 

It's too bad. I was looking forward to the Ferreira/Trinaldo fight. 

I don't know how Dana White can take the attitude he publicly has toward Liddell/Ortiz and then continue booking BJ Penn who hasn't won a fight in 10 years. He's looked awful in all of his losses since then. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I don't know how Dana White can take the attitude he publicly has toward Liddell/Ortiz and then continue booking BJ Penn who hasn't won a fight in 10 years. 

That's easy. He is/was really good friends with Chuck for 15 years and even managed him early in his career. BJ left his company high and dry when they really needed him, and right now, probably needs fighting so he doesn't end up in the slammer.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's easy. He is/was really good friends with Chuck for 15 years and even managed him early in his career. BJ left his company high and dry when they really needed him, and right now, probably needs fighting so he doesn't end up in the slammer.

Either way, that's some pretty warped logic to allow this to go on. 

23 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I believe BJ is either on the longest losing streak or winless streak in UFC history.

He is in a tie for both records. Right, the first one is a four way tie with Phil Baroni, Elvis Sinosic, and Hector Lombard with six losses. Baroni and Sinosic did it over multiple UFC stints. Sinosic probably could have taken it to seven if he fought CHRIS HASEMAN~!(talk about a fucking blast from the past) at UFC 110 because his lone UFC win was that Jeremy Horn upset nine years earlier at UFC 30 on the first ever UFC card in Zuffa history (ironically featuring Baroni's UFC debut as well). The second one he is tied with Lombard because Lombard had the Burkman win overturned to a NC followed by losses to Neil Magny, Dan Henderson who should have retired afterwards, Johny Hendricks, Anthony Smith, Dollaway in the fight where he got DQ'd, and a retiring Thales Leites.

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Either way, that's some pretty warped logic to allow this to go on. 

Not really when you know Dana. This dude has a 15 minute back and forth with Kevin Iole recently about interim titles which he (Dana) wouldn't let go. This one is somewhat logical. He didn't want to see Chuck get concussed anymore especially at the behest of someone he loathes like Oscar De La Hoya. He probably is indifferent to BJ Penn, but if BJ's life continues to fall apart, he'll probably feel somewhat responsible if he just gets rid of him at his low point.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco