DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Captain Planet & The Planeteer - 5/7/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Well, I'm sure someone will be complaining about the new tag champs, but at least it isn't The B Team.

(Also they desperately need names for their respective finishers.) 

I don't mind Bryan & Rowan as champs that's a good start.   One thing I'd like to point out.   The 3-person wild card rule has now been changed to 4 people.  Although last night had already had more than 3. 

So tonight we got AJ Styles,  The Miz,  Jimmy Uso,  Jey Uso and Sami Zayn.   That kinda looks like 5 to me. ?

DBry/Rowan as tag champs is good. Bait and switch on a promised match (the women’s tag was originally a 6-woman tag with Charlotte and Bayley involved) and then virtually no time for the women that did compete is bad.

2 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The women are really getting shafted as of late. Divas Division treatment.

You're not kidding. I love Becky and all, but damn. After watching some Tessa Blanchard stuff and seeing some other stuff from Impact, yeah, WWE's women's division is in the toilet.

• Like 3

Let's not kid ourselves, it's always been in the toilet. A handful of bright moments over the years ever since that hashtag trended on Twitter isn't enough to get the stink off how they treat the women's division.

Give them their own show. Bundle it together with 205 Live (like they do with SD/205 currently), move it to Florida. Anything to get them more time, because it's just not fair. I love the cruiserweights, but Carmella is more over than the most over person on 205 Live. But yet, they have their own show.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You're not kidding. I love Becky and all, but damn. After watching some Tessa Blanchard stuff and seeing some other stuff from Impact, yeah, WWE's women's division is in the toilet.

I don’t know that there’s another woman whose as good of a promo as Tessa without even discussing her wrestling!

• Like 3

On an Instagram post from Tessa Blanchard, she replied to the picture of the Knockouts standout with a simple “let’s wrestle.”

Sasha has always been about the competition aspect of professional wrestling and there is a definite argument that there is no bigger competitor in the women’s division than Tessa Blanchard.

I'd buy Impact+.   Shit,  I might buy Impact+ anyway.  I've been hearing lots of good things and I like they are doing all these shows with smaller indies

• Like 2

The women were totally screwed and I'm not remotely surprised.

Ali/Almas was good while it lasted.

I'm good with Bryan and Rowan as champs. The match with the Usos was good as well.

The triple threat was good though they went into ridiculous territory with Zayn's Blue Thunder bomb failing three times. 

• Like 1

Overall, I thought Smackdown was a good show this week, and more often than not, I find Smackdown to be an infinitely more watchable show than Raw.

The tag team and world title matches were good. The Triple Threat was laid out a lot better than the Bryan/Kofi rematch which was gutted by two commercial breaks. Here they just had one in the middle. That works. Bryan/Kofi had one like 30 seconds in and then another one like 4 minutes later. I feel like we barely got any of the match at all.

I don't get how you can't plan out such a huge match better on a three-hour show. 

That nearfall with Zayn getting the Blue Thunder was awesome. For a split second, I thought he was going to win. 

I'm glad Bryan and Rowan are on TV and have titles. At the same time, I'm not sure if this is great for the long-term of a tag team division. Then again, WWE doesn't really give a crap about tag teams. Either way, it was a fun match, and it made no sense for Usos to win the Smackdown tag belts here. So in that sense, the right dudes went over.

One thing though. This Lars Sullivan segment was kind of awkward. What the fuck was Matt Hardy doing with his Jack Sparrow hands? "It's him! [Points, Raoul Duke hands]"

Edited by TheVileOne

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Bryan is going to convince me to watch him drag 3 big lugs into a great tag team title match. Also great choice for tag champs. Way better than the speculated team of Elias & Shane, or even worse a team of feuding partners.

I just have no idea who’d they’d eventually drop them to. Best team to do that with would probably be the Viking Raiders, who have lost so much momentum after being brought to the main roster. Bringing them in as just another hoss heel team was a massive mistake. With their offense they should be faces. Another team I thought about was American Alpha. Though I don’t know if Jason Jordan will ever return from injury. Whoever it is, I hope it’s not the Hardy’s who don’t need the win against this new team.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

If the final part of Bryan's career is him vengefully achieving a "hippie grand slam" of holding a sustainable, organic version of every belt in the company I am basically OK with that

“Grab your Daniel Bryan’s Hippie Grand Slam at Denny’s! This Grand Slam features organically grown golden hash browns, mixed veggies, whole wheat toast, and to top it off a tag team of fluffy vegan pancakes. The perfect meal to start your day of saving the planet.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The women are really getting shafted as of late. Divas Division treatment.

When the 3 hour show could only muster one segment for them, I knew they were doomed on Smackdown. And yes, these are definitely Diva Division throwbacks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jamal said:

When the 3 hour show could only muster one segment for them, I knew they were doomed on Smackdown. And yes, these are definitely Diva Division throwbacks. 

Cant have the ladies outside of the chosen few getting segments and ring time. They might begin to get over, become stars, and decide that their talents would be better used elsewhere...

• Like 1

Meltzer had this in the last WON (and there was much more to it that I will put in spoilers at the end of this post for the full context. Consider this my click bait post)

Given the decline came at a time when women were pushed as headliners, that’s now led to the second guessing of women in the main event at WrestleMania. That may be unfair, in the sense that Rousey and Lynch were both strong quarter hour draws, but it is true that during the Mania build, shows that were built around women at the end of the show declined during the show at a faster rate than those with men in the climax position, and that’s with Rousey, Lynch and Charlotte Flair in the most pushed match during the quarter.

So it is looking like - at the moment - that the women are taking a larger share of the blame and hence what we saw (or didn't see) this week on RAW and SDL

Anyway - here is the rest of the ratings decline in regards to the women

Spoiler

In addition, while WrestleMania would have sold out no matter what the main event was, as far as the live event went, it was the single most in-demand event on the secondary market in pro wrestling history. So while ratings were down leading to Mania, as was live attendance and the network numbers fell year-to-year for the first time in history, the secondary market demand, which is based on how many people wanted to see the show, indicates the women’s main event, or the show itself, was actually a huge success as far as not just people buying tickets before the card came out, but even more after the card came out. And that is about the main events, and the most promoted was the women.

However, Raw episodes where women have headlined this year have seen the audience decline at a faster rate than men, with men averaging a 12 percent first-to-third drop while women average a 20 percent drop. Every drop of less than ten percent has been with a male main event. In fact, of the five shows who held their audience the best, four have been shows headlined by Drew McIntyre and three by Rollins.

Of the five biggest drops, three were with women, all of which involved Rousey. There are mitigating reasons for this.

Of the men’s shows that lowered the average, one was a rare Cena main event match; one was a Rollins-Lesnar confrontation, again rare since Lesnar is a special character, one was McIntyre vs. Dean Ambrose falls count anywhere which was promoted as one of Ambrose’s last television match, one was McIntyre vs. Rollins and one was Reigns & Rollins and the promise of a major mystery partner (Styles) vs. Corbin & Lashley & McIntyre.

The main events that did the worst, mostly women, were more that they put women like Bayley, Ruby Riott and others in main events when all year they were presented as prelim. It would be like if they put McIntyre vs. Bobby Roode or Jinder Mahal in the main event position, the numbers would also plummet for the third hour.

The worst stuff was Rollins vs. Ambrose falls count anywhere, which had to do with the Ambrose heel turn being a disaster, Bayley & Sasha Banks vs. Rousey & Natalya which featured three women who weren’t seriously pushed all year and then were put in a main event spot, Rousey vs. Riott which was a long match (and one changed at the last minute from a short Rousey vs. Alexa Bliss match because there were issues and they needed a long match from Rousey, itself a bad idea for television, and felt Riott would be a good opponent, which she was, but she was never presented nor did people see her as a main eventer), and a Styles vs. Corbin match for a title shot. But there was a go-home segment with Rousey, Lynch and Charlotte Flair that didn’t do well, and the other worst in holding the audience was the Rollins vs. Kofi Kingston unification match.

Over the last several months, the drops for shows headlined by Rousey, Flair and Lynch in some combination were equal to the men, but if Bayley and Banks were in the final segment, it would go way down. Again, that’s not men vs. women as much as Bayley and Banks haven’t been presented as main eventers, so if you put them in a main event, they are going to end up with lots of people tuning out. It would be like right now, without a prolonged push, having Chad Gable or Bobby Roode or the Revival go on last. They wouldn’t do it, and if they were promoted in the main spot, the third hour would die. And that’s not that they don’t deserve it or aren’t good enough, but in most cases, you are viewed to a degree how you are presented, particularly when it comes to final segment positioning.

• Like 1