DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Dominion 2019

Raziel

The only way Mox in the G1 isn’t at *least* an interesting failure is if the schedule gets too rough on him and he decides to go into WWE house show tour mode.  I doubt that’ll be the case, though.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

He worked the BOSJ finals show.

Amused at people calling Okada/Jericho a "stinker" because they only got 3.75 stars or whatever. Don't remember that hate for the Fale defense...

What 3.75 star Jericho match were you watching this morning?

If anything, I think Okada should get a lot of credit for not letting Jericho embarrass himself too much out there.  With the exception of the Codebreaker counter on the floor (which Jericho, perhaps wisely, got real noncommittal about in mid-move),  there really weren’t very many of those awkward moments where Jericho tried to do something he had no business doing.  Okada kept him between the ditches.  It may have resulted in a middling affair, but it definitely wasn’t a black spot on his title match resume.  It was just fine.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Nifty trivia - Okada has scored 31 pinfalls in IWGP Heavyweight Championship matches and now all but one have been after a Rainmaker.

YMMV on whether this counts but I had Omega down as the one man Okada didn't need the Rainmaker to pin with the title on the line thanks to the first fall in their 2/3 match.

Looking back it was the same hold used then as the one to pin Jericho, so it wasn't completely out of nowhere. I like to think it was an intentional callback of some kind, though not one AEW would brag about. I call it the Winnipegger.

32 minutes ago, Salads said:

YMMV on whether this counts but I had Omega down as the one man Okada didn't need the Rainmaker to pin with the title on the line thanks to the first fall in their 2/3 match.

Looking back it was the same hold used then as the one to pin Jericho, so it wasn't completely out of nowhere. I like to think it was an intentional callback of some kind, though not one AEW would brag about. I call it the Winnipegger.

I checked purolove.com for the stats and it incorrectly listed the Rainmaker as being what got him the first fall in that match. I totally missed it, but I'm pretty sure that's the only mistake on the list.

funny little promo. should do wonders for Umino.

don't think my excitement re: KENTA has really been conveyed. I've long said that NJPW has missed some real-feeling violence since Shibata went splat. Well here's his shorter and beefier pal. Wonder if he's just Akiyama-ing it before going home or he's here to stay. If he's here to stay then I can actually see them putting together two good Dome shows. Maybe not two SELLOUTS, but still.

2 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

don't think my excitement re: KENTA has really been conveyed. I've long said that NJPW has missed some real-feeling violence since Shibata went splat. Well here's his shorter and beefier pal. Wonder if he's just Akiyama-ing it before going home or he's here to stay. If he's here to stay then I can actually see them putting together two good Dome shows. Maybe not two SELLOUTS, but still.

Adding KENTA and Takagi to Goto, Ishii, Taichi, and Suzuki would make the NEVER slugfest division my favorite thing on the roster.

This year's G1 booking is refreshingly hard to figure. Juice probably can't afford another losing season; you've just moved Ospreay and Takagi into the quasiheavyweight ranks; KENTA is a big deal and fragile enough you'd want to capitalize while you have him; Moxley is a former WWE champion and presumably only doing this one tournament before AEW really begins; Naito and Okada are still Naito and Okada; Ibushi now lacks a belt and signed the deal we always assumed would get him an immense push; White is also without a title and obviously ascendant; Tana probably shouldn't go from winning to sub-500; Goto and Ishii and Suzuki and ZSJ and EVIL and SANADA all need to remain credible...

It's not just that there's no completely obvious winner. There are so many guys who probably shouldn't be losing much, that everyone is probably going to lose a little more than you'd think. Lots of title challenges will probably result.

• Like 1

Finished watching the show. I actually wound up disliking Naito vs Ibushi more than Jericho vs Okada just because of the stupid and needless bumping Ibushi does. I can't watch this shit anymore. It takes me right out of a match where I start to worry too much about the health of the individual. No one needs to be crushing their head and necks in this day and age. I said before that Ibushi is wrestling's version of Jackass/Johnny Knoxville and someday Ibushi is going to do something really fucking stupid and pay for it...again.

Jericho vs Okada wasn't anything close to bad. Not everyone are perfect dance partners. Someone mentioned the Fale match above and this match with Jericho was definitely better than that. It's just not what we've come to expect from an Okada match.

EDIT: That said, no way do I want to see Jericho in the G1. At his age with his style, it just wouldn't work. People make the joke that Jericho is fat or whatever, but I bet 90% of the board wishes they were in as good of shape Jericho is in. But the shape and condition Jericho is in allows him to do a match here and there and make it an attraction. Doing the G1 is a full time affair and I don't think he should be doing that now.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

@Beech27 Maybe Gedo should think about bringing back 30 minute draws to protect some guys.

Those are still around, though usually just used to add drama to de facto semifinals. I expect we'll get a lot of 4-5 and 5-4 records.

As for the rest of the show:

Dragon Lee and Ospreay are basically perfect at a style I just don't love. Will is getting there, but if he's the "next Omega" I'd prefer if some of his explosive athleticism translated to more impactful looking offense. Still, it's funny to see English language twitter gripe about his push while the Japanese fans clearly adore him. I'm happy to go along.

Naito and Ibushi are basically perfect at a style I am conflicted about. The stunt show bumping can sometimes combine the worst parts of deathmatches--nothing matters as much as the tension and release of the massive bumps--and psychotic stiffness--that other stuff wasn't real violence, but this is--but the combined charisma and skill of execution somehow balances it for me, and the 2.9 opera brings me to the edge of my seat. I do hope they stay far apart for a while, though.

Of course that also meant I was totally burnt before the main event started. It was fine, and Jericho's King Diamond cosplay amuses me deeply, but I like Okada's indulgent epics, and will be happy to return there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Raziel said:

What 3.75 star Jericho match were you watching this morning?

That was the figure I saw floating around from some folks. I try to avoid the snowflakes myself, but I think people have been really spoiled by Okada's epic matches.

This was one interesting show.

Umino/Mox wasn't anything special, but at the same time Mox showed that he can do a decent short match without tables, chairs and blood. I'm probably still going to be annoyed if he ends up being #2-3 in competitive block, but it looks like at least he won't shit the bed.

GoD vs Evil/Sanada was a match. I don't know, after so many false starts it is difficult to even care about this division at this point. Only question for me now is if Evil/Sanada will win WTL third year in a row.

Ishii/Taichi rocked, but I would have preferred if Taichi retained. If I'm not mixing anything up then this is 9th reign since last Dominion: Elgin, Goto, Taichi, Goto, Ibushi, Ospreay, Cobb, Taichi, Ishii. At this point I won't be surprised if at KoPW Ishii will be challenging someone for NEVER title.

I agree with @Beech27 about Ospreay and Dragon Lee being really good at style that isn't that interesting to me either. It was another well executed epic, but I'm not sure if I'll remember it two months later. That being said I really don't understand what was the point of Dragon Lee's reign. Like, I understand that ultimately the point here was to push Ospreay further and, at least in Japan, it worked perfectly. But probably same thing would have happened if Ishimori retained and we got Ospreay/Ishimori II at Dominion.

Considering KENTA, I completely agree that he is free man to do whatever he wants to do. But, at the same time I really don't buy that this has nothing to do with NOAH's memorial show. Its not like Dominion didn't have many news coming out of it already with Mox, Shingo and possibly Ospreay entering G1 or Jericho/Tanahashi being set up or bunch of cards and news shows getting announced. So, you know, they could have easily done KENTA's announcement couple days earlier on BotSJ finals to make that show even better. I know that militant NOAH fans would have still complained, but it would have looked a lot better, I think.

It looks like it's basically doubled second place already, and sits currently at 1.2 million views. I doubt there was ever any question that you'd bring in a former WWE champion who anchored their tours for years, but this is a pretty good answer nonetheless.

16 hours ago, EVA said:

I’m not a huge fan of these Ospreay/Lee type matches, but they tried a ton of crazy shit and had a 100% hit rate, and that’s gotta be worth something.

Watched this last night. My two-year-old son was watching some of it with me.  He likes to comment on the matches.  Usually just, "Chop!", "Punch, punch!" or "He mean!"  During this match, he turned to me two or three times and just said, "Crazy."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Adding KENTA and Takagi to Goto, Ishii, Taichi, and Suzuki would make the NEVER slugfest division my favorite thing on the roster.

Fucking same. I love that heavyweight Taichi remembers he's a Kawada disciple. 

Edited by Ace