DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Dominion 2019

Raziel

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

Shingo, Ospreay, KENTA, Moxley, possibly Jericho... just for the new matchups, this is shaping up as the most wide-open G1 in years. I can dig it.

Before today I didn’t think it was possible for Jericho to be in it. But that flash pin, and after match angle screamed Okada “getting his heat back” with a clean win, and I don’t see how they can justify another championship match unless Jericho beats him in the G-1 blocks.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I mean, is Jericho going to take Tama's place as G1 Fast Forward match? You throw up a clunker against arguably the best worker in the World, you might want to rethink your career trajectory. 

10 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I mean, is Jericho going to take Tama's place as G1 Fast Forward match? You throw up a clunker against arguably the best worker in the World, you might want to rethink your career trajectory. 

Athletes tend to be very delusional about their abilities when they are past their primes. 

I’m with you though, give Page the belt, and then Page can drop it to Omega at the next big show if they are aren’t sure about Page being “The Guy” yet.

I still say if Jericho wants to go, then do it. But end this whole thing with him, and Okada with a clean win in the G1. Maybe even do it at Korakuen. At least with those fans you can guarantee a good reaction.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Dragon Lee vs Ospreay was insane. 

Just finished watching it. It definitely was. I put it right below the BoSJ final. I really love Ospreay’s finishing sequence.

Dragon Lee is just missing an extra character trait to make him truly stand out.

13 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Dragon Lee vs Ospreay was insane. Jericho fits right in the next Saudi Arabia super Show Main Event.

Probably my MOTN. I feel I can't for Naito/Ibushi with the head/neck bumps.

With Yoshi-hashi picking up the win, I take it we are subjected to another year of YH in the G1? ?

I'm 100% with sevendaughters after the first three matches. First two were perfect for what they were. Third was fine but lost my interest when it wasn't Suzuki and Liger. I think the world of Zack but after all this time he's still not very over himself and that sucks. 

Moxley in the G1 makes me think he is in the Akiyama role of making their chosen homegrown talent look great and get a huge win in the final. I'm okay with that. He looked a completely different man in there. I need to watch the Juice match and catch up on the good shit I've missed the past couple of months. 

If only Jericho had half of Taichi's sense. The start of this match is perfection. Taichi won a strike exchange! And it made sense!

Taichi for G1! Taichi to win the G1! 

• Like 3

I don't get how anybody is disappointed by the main event. What exactly did you expect? This was a card that had the decency to have some very interesting singles matches to open the show, had plenty grand/ridiculous 2-count opera in the upper-middle card, and was always going to end with an old guy working a WWE style main event with a megastar who usually only works his kind of match. It was fine. The finish didn't go over well but was always going to be a bit... political. Three-star-ish, slightly overbooked, setting up a Jericho match that will likely play to his strengths better. Only talent in NJPW I see having a better match w/ Jericho than Tanahashi is Jay White. Nifty trivia - Okada has scored 31 pinfalls in IWGP Heavyweight Championship matches and now all but one have been after a Rainmaker.

• Like 1

I guess I should blab about a few other thoughts while I still remember them.

Damn man, the G1. Looking good. I'm sort of attending nights 2 and 3 of the tournament in Ota City (never been to Japan before, I have no fucking clue what I'm doing) and was assuming I'd see a lot of the old standbys, but I'm pleased as punch that I'll be present for the biggest shakeup in forever. I guess I should have seen the KENTA thing coming, but damn if that didn't catch me off-guard. Shingo, Ospreay, Mox, I was hoping for them all (yeah, even Will) and I'm glad it worked. I'm baffled by anyone down on Moxley. Is it because the people forming these opinions watch RAW on a frequent basis?  I thought Val Kilmer was a bad actor when I was ten on account of Batman Forever.

All those highs were balanced by a lot of depressing omissions. I thought Taichi was a shoe-in to win in order to get him into the G1. It'll be completely ridiculous if he's overlooked again. Anybody with a soul wants one flavorful undercard upset-waiting-to-happen in each block, who could possibly be better than Taichi? The other one's even more of a bummer. Every big show without Hiromu chisels out a little bit more of my heart.

• Like 2

Lee/Ospreay was better than I expected. That tope with Will on the desk was crazy, one of those spots that make me say Holy shit! out loud and then rewind because I thought I’d seen it wrong. Since he said he’s moving to Japan I expected that outcome but it was fun getting there. I’m really coming around on Ospreay because he killed it the whole tournament and this was a great capper to that.

Naito/Ibushi was... a lot. I also thought I saw a man die, or at least get grievously injured, on the apron German. It was a good match, don’t get me wrong. But yikes.

I thought the main was fine. And there’s no way Jericho is in the G1, or if he is I don’t think he’ll make it all the way through without an injury and AEW can’t afford to lose him right now.

• Like 1

Any chance they run Jericho vs. Tanahashi on one of the Kizuna Road shows? First glance doesn't seem like any of the buildings are big enough to warrant such a match. Do they offer it as a special singles match in Texas to help with ticket sales and it would give Tanahashi another reason as to why he couldn't win the tournament beyond being old and beaten up? For a second I thought London was a possibility but AEW is running a show that night. 

I came into wrestling about when NOAH came into existence; it was my first favorite promotion and KENTA’s ascendance was a huge part of that. I understand why people feel let down, but I just can’t feel that way. That company doesn’t exist anymore. Hasn’t for a long time. He should get the best check he can to do the best work he can. Getting big as hell and shuffling around matches kicking people sounds great. I’m just glad he’s not a junior.

I’ve only watched the first two matches so far, but they’re perfect pro wrestling. Tells a complete, compact story that moves everything and everyone forward while being violent.

This G1 is going to be incredible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Where’s Yano at? Is he just taking a break?

He worked the BOSJ finals show.

Amused at people calling Okada/Jericho a "stinker" because they only got 3.75 stars or whatever. Don't remember that hate for the Fale defense...

• Like 1

I'm only up to Ospreay/Dragon Lee, but I'm enjoying Dominion very much thus far. I would have liked to see LiJ get the tag titles back, but I guess this means both Sanada and Evil will be in the G1. I felt like the tag title match was just starting to kick into another gear when it ended. This is where you just have to shut your brain off as a wrestling fan sometimes, but you know GoD will have Jado in their corner, so why not have Bushi with Sanada & Evil from the beginning?

I don't get what happened to Jericho since January though. The Naito match at the Dome might've been his career best, certainly top five for him.

Five months later he's able to drag Okada down?

• Like 1

A large part of it is Okada's notorious habit of only being able to wrestle Okada matches.  Jericho and Kenny had the advantage of  speaking fluent Canadian and set up a very rehearsed plunder-fest. Naito turned on his rudo and made the better second match a more character-based affair. The Tana match is promising since he's a master of milking drama from a basic match structure. Okada needs you to roll with his stoic athletic aesthetic for thirty minutes.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

A large part of it is Okada's notorious habit of only being able to wrestle Okada matches.  Jericho and Kenny have the advantage of both speaking fluent Canadian and set up a very rehearsed plunder-fest. Naito can turn on his rudo and make it a more character-based match. The Tana match is promising since he's a master of milking drama from a basic match structure. Okada needs you to roll with his stoic athletic aesthetic for thirty minutes.

Eeeehhh, wasn't one of Okada's trademarks from his all-time legendary IWGP run that he would work to his opponent? He has his trademark moves and big spots, like all wrestlers, but he's notoriously giving. I remember somebody telling me when he'd come to ROH, he'd let the American guys call the match. I feel like your criticism applies more to Omega than Okada, and I say that as Omega's biggest proponent on here.