DVDVR Message Board

A General Grand Theft Auto Discussion Thread

15 hours ago, Technico Support said:

If they base the game sometime between 1985 and 2001, that would work.  Their "Bonnie & Clyde" could be Catalina and Claude.  BUT if they're working on doing less "punching down" and fewer stereotypes, they may need to avoid Catalina altogether.

On a side note, I just watched Heat over the weekend and GTA 5 definitely borrows from it.  The two things that jump right out at me is the robbery that starts the film is a lot like the Blitz Play mission, and Michael DeSanta's default fancy outfit looks a lot like DeNiro's character (gray suit, white shirt, no tie).

The robbery and street shoot-out in Heat inspired Three-Leaf Clover in GTA 4 as well as Blitz Play in GTA 5.

Three-Leaf Clover also has a reference to Point Break as one of the hostages kills one of the bank robbers before being killed himself.  If you hire Packie as a gunman for the Palmeto Score in GTA 5, he will talk about the Three-Leaf Clover Job.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

The robbery and street shoot-out Heat inspired Three-Leaf Clover in GTA 4 as well as Blitz Play in GTA 5.

Three-Leaf Clover also has a reference to Point Break as one of the hostages kills one of the bank robbers before being killed himself.  If you hire Packie as a gunman for the Palmeto Score in GTA 5, he will talk about the Three-Leaf Clover Job.

Right!  Thanks.  Also, one of the heists in GTA 5 has a loud approach where the guys have to flee on foot and shoot their way out of downtown, like in Heat.

• Like 1

Loud approach to the Jewelry Store heist is fun, but I usually chose the Smart approach.   You are able to clear more mission challenges with a good crew (only the best hacker will give you enough time to grab all of the jewelry in under 50 seconds) but you have to balance things out so that your take will offset your expenses.

I found out the hard way that you cannot lowball too much.  The worst driver will bring fucking ten speeds as your getaway vehicles and the worst gunman will die halfway through the escape and drop his bag full of loot for the cops to recover.  Even if you are quick and get the bag of loot before the cops, you still lose part of the the take.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Loud approach to the Jewelry Store heist is fun, but I usually chose the Smart approach.   You are able to clear more mission challenges with a good crew (only the best hacker will give you enough time to grab all of the jewelry in under 50 seconds) but you have to balance things out so that your take will offset your expenses.

I found out the hard way that you cannot lowball too much.  The worst driver will bring fucking ten speeds as your getaway vehicles and the worst gunman will die halfway through the escape and drop his bag full of loot for the cops to recover.  Even if you are quick and get the bag of loot before the cops, you still lose part of the the take.

I chose the smart approach and hired all the best guys every time.  I am old and play everything on easy mode just to enjoy the story. 

I did choose Packie, though, for nostalgia's sake.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to the leaks, here are your GTA 6 protagonists:

Spoiler

Jason:

Spoiler

96nqv0qarvo91.jpg

Spoiler

Lucia:

Spoiler

our-first-up-close-look-at-gta-vi-protag

The GTA subreddit has the details of the leaks.  Supposedly the footage is from a 2019-20 alpha build, but the story is done and they're deep in the debugging process.  

Also, allegedly, they have figured out who did the hack and leaked. 

• 1 month later...

Did my first GTA missions in at least a year over the weekend.  I'd never done the latest Gerald missions, so I figured I'd see what they were about.  Can't remember what the first one was, but I do remember it paid me all of $10K. 

Second one was drive to a garage, shoot a bunch of guys, and steal a van.  Then I had to drive the van somewhere, without damaging it too much.  When I got there, I spent forever running around finding action figures in a yellow rectangle.  When I finally spotted the last one, I told myself "at least I won't ever have to do that again".  Then I picked it up, and the game told me to drive the van that can't be damaged too much to the other side of town and do it again, this time while getting shot at.  After I finally did that, I got to drive that stupid van some more without damaging it.  Whole thing probably took 45 minutes to complete, and paid me a whopping $15K.  Then I went back into freemode and drove a pickup two miles for $50K.  

Gonna be a while before I do another mission.

There was an amazing car chase on TV last night that was right out of a GTA game.

Dude didn't pull over for a traffic stop, drove off, dumped his Honda Civic and broke into a refrigerated van and took off in that until he was running on the rims, took off on foot, broke into a house, stole THEIR truck while the husband is trying to attack him with a knife and wife holding him back and two dogs attacking too.  THEN pulls off in that truck while running over at least one of the family members, weaving in and out of traffic on windy ass LA roads in the middle of rush hour with dozens of cop cars chasing him, getting stuck on dead-end streets, turning around and somehow plowing through all the cop cars and getting back onto roads.  Eventually runs THAT car onto the rims, crashes into a gas station where the cops UNLOAD with rounds into the car.  10 minutes later and no movement in the car they approach, handcuff the guy and the fucker walks out of the car looking not hurt AT ALL.

Damnedest thing I've ever seen.  5 star wanted level for sure.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So today's new update apparently removes almost 190 cars and motorcycles

Well more specifically it is removing if you haven't already purchased them

Rockstar claims they are "lesser used". The player base apparently says that is bullshit

And to irritate people even more - apparently some of the vehicles are being put behind the GTA+ subscription fee

I mean I haven't played this game it at least like 5 years and I still recognize vehicles on the list getting removed

Anyway - enjoy your new update!

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So today's new update apparently removes almost 190 cars and motorcycles

Well more specifically it is removing if you haven't already purchased them

Rockstar claims they are "lesser used". The player base apparently says that is bullshit

And to irritate people even more - apparently some of the vehicles are being put behind the GTA+ subscription fee

I mean I haven't played this game it at least like 5 years and I still recognize vehicles on the list getting removed

Anyway - enjoy your new update!

Gotta find a way to make that next billion, I guess.  Figure GTA6 will be pretty much useless without GTA+.  That list of removed stuff is crazy.  Damn near every car that was around the last time you or JT played this thing got wiped today. 

Worst of all, the removed the Mini Cooper.  Rendering the Nite Shift battle cry "To the Mini Cooper!" obsolete.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...