DVDVR Message Board

A General Grand Theft Auto Discussion Thread

The missions getting more linear seems like it's got progressively worse with each game, starting with San Andreas.  For GTA3 and Vice City, you were really limited only by the gear/vehicles/etc you had available.  SA car chases were the first missions that stuck out to me this way, where I realized I couldn't really do anything to whoever I was chasing until a trigger event had happened.  Real linearity was almost unavoidable for V, with the three character setup. 

I kinda share Neil's pessimism.  The last single player GTA I got into was SA.  I HATED IV, and it took me two or three years to finish V.

Online at least still allows the opportunity for creative, or ridiculous, solutions.  (We're gonna do this mission standing on the roof of ambulance.  Then we'll do a heist setup in a Winnebago.)

I actually enjoy the linear style of the game on initial play throughs, but to pick it up again is a slog. It’s the same with both RDR’s. There isn’t a sense of pick up, and play after going through the game once. But a game being linear isn’t what tends to hurt it for me because I can pick up a game like Max Payne 3(Or even the rest of the series to be honest), and never grow tired of the gameplay. Actually I would say my favorite bits of these Rockstar open world games is the action parts. The real problem lies in Rockstars insistence to introduce new elements into the game through tutorials for hours into the game itself, and slows the game to a crawl every single time when trying to replay the story. I wish a new game plus would omit these missions when replaying it, and replace them with missions that keep the narrative going without having to do hunting, or fishing tutorials twice. Also while the story itself is quite excellent, it isn’t implemented into the game to blend itself perfectly for replay value. It’s just a little too rich now with these games. A looser Breath of The Wild structure could be a way to solving the issues.

But I don’t want them to lose everything, I just want it more streamlined.

Also more visual storytelling. I was just replaying an early mission where the gang attacks an O’Driscoll’s hideout, and the bit where he finds the double barrel shotgun, and cleans it, still works on me. They should do more similar stuff like that throughout their games, and their stories. Like what if we got more Tangerine Dream, while discovering more world details, and less dialogue during GTA V. That actually would’ve improved it, and nail the Mann style they were taking from.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Re: timeline -- You can't really do Vice City before the 80s because IRL Miami Beach was a shithole before a development boom happened.  Until the mid/late 80s, it was mostly retirement homes.  Watch Scarface -- in the sequence where Tony and the gang go to South Beach for the deal gone wrong, it's not glamorous at all, it's kind of deserted, and it's all old people just hanging out.  It's not "Vice City" until later. 

Re: linear missions -- hell yes.  Before I gave up on the remakes, I was struck by how you could do missions any way you wanted.  There's one that stood out in particular in GTA III where you have to go get a car, but the car is staked out by mobsters who drive up to attack you as soon as you get in.  You can actually find the two mob cars and kill the guys before you go get the car.  In modern games, these guys wouldn't be anywhere to be seen and would just spawn in the world as soon you grabbed the target car.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

You can't really do Vice City before the 80s because IRL Miami Beach was a shithole before a development boom happened.  Until the mid/late 80s, it was mostly retirement homes.  Watch Scarface -- in the sequence where Tony and the gang go to South Beach for the deal gone wrong, it's not glamorous at all, it's kind of deserted, and it's all old people just hanging out.  It's not "Vice City" until later. 

Sort of… It’s just a dumpy city for the most part, but while it hasn’t exploded yet, drugs, and crime were a thing back then. The infamous Mariel Boat Lift happened in 1980, as well as the Miami riots. Which is when Scarface takes place. Also the real estate market hadn’t boomed yet, I’d argue Miami didn’t really change much until the late 00’s. It’s not glamorous, but if you were to do a gritty 70’s inspired film. The late 70’s, early 80’s Miami is the best place to put it.

• Like 1

Speaking of enemy spawns, I remember there was a glitch you could take advantage of in San Andreas' Vigilante missions where you could start a mission, get out of your car and enter a building, and the Vigilante targets would die before the "get back in your car" timer ran out.  The reason for this was because San Andreas interiors were stored above the sky, so you were forcing the targets to spawn up there and then plummet to their deaths.

I Googled and apparently they patched this in the remakes.

On GTAIII/VC/SA on the original versions, you can pause the game when you're near the car the criminal is in and when you restart the game, the criminal will get out and you can just run them over.  It's a very easy way to clear the sub-mission.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neil Koch said:

On GTAIII/VC/SA on the original versions, you can pause the game when you're near the car the criminal is in and when you restart the game, the criminal will get out and you can just run them over.  It's a very easy way to clear the sub-mission.

LOL no shit?  That's insane.

My favorite GTA hack was saving the game to avoid YOUR TERRITORY IS UNDER ATTACK

Playing GTA Online lately…they moved up the timeline to a few years after the main storyline and you’re running a Ray Donovan-esque celebrity solutions agency with a grown up Franklin.  I finished a mission in the hills and happened to be near Franklin’s house, so I checked it out.  So now there’s a “The Clintons” plaque on the wall outside, pool toys and a kids’ play set out back, and a car out front with a “TAN1SHA” vanity plate.

So it all worked out in the end and I assume Franklin got rid of his yee yee ass haircut and Tanisha stopped fucking with that brain surgeon.

Edited by Technico Support

• 4 weeks later...

Rockstar not making anything easy

RE: the next gen upgrades

The GTAV PS5 upgrade price for PS4 owners is split up into two costs. The campaign upgrade is $9.99 and Grand Theft Auto Online is free for PlayStation Plus subscribers, but will only be free for three months. The upgrade charge for the campaign is only a limited-time deal, too, as it will jump up to $39.99 on June 14, 2022. It’s likely that the separate GTAO standalone will be $19.99 after that date, according to the Xbox listing (since it is not free on that platform and shows the full price).

However, Xbox owners aren’t getting off as easy. The story mode and Grand Theft Auto Online upgrade is a $19.99 bundle and Grand Theft Auto Online is being sold separately for $9.99. Grand Theft Auto Online is not free for Xbox Live Gold members or Game Pass subscribers and is also currently $10 off, meaning it will be $19.99 until June 14.

Throwback to 2016, my crewmate CetrolBP (name changed to protect the guilty) and I are doing a mission, and Cetrol notices a lack of traffic in the mission.

Cetrol: "It's so empty in here, it's like Nuremberg."

Me: "...Huh?"

Him: "It's this race track that you can drive street cars on."

Me: "...You mean the Nurburgring?"

Him: "Yeah that."

Me: *spends the next ten minutes cracking up*

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'll wind up buying the online portion.  Again.  

Still haven't bothered to finish a lot of story mode after all these years, so I really don't need to buy that.

melraz and I were talking last night about how different the economy of the game has become.  Somehow, earning money doing the occasional mission/heist has actually become a viable strategy.  It's an amazing change from the days of car duping/spamming Rooftop Rumble.

20 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I was having a great time grinding the vehicle warehouse, but lately it's nothing but shithead griefers blowing up my cars and I'm fucking sick of it.  Nothing but payphone hits and random missions lately. 

I'll never understand that.  I'll freely admit I'm a shithead griefer.  That said, I'll leave people alone whenever they're in the middle of delivering stuff, unless they decide to head right at me.  Only time I've gone out of my way to to mess with somebody's delivery was using a sticky bomb rigged jetski to take out a submarine.  That was just too good to pass up.

I can't imagine how annoying car deliveries are now that you have to contend with the the Nimbus Mk 2 users.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I'll never understand that.  I'll freely admit I'm a shithead griefer.  That said, I'll leave people alone whenever they're in the middle of delivering stuff, unless they decide to head right at me.  Only time I've gone out of my way to to mess with somebody's delivery was using a sticky bomb rigged jetski to take out a submarine.  That was just too good to pass up.

I can't imagine how annoying car deliveries are now that you have to contend with the the Nimbus Mk 2 users.

Same here!  I don't mess with anyone.  I wish this game had an option for friendly mode, PvE only lobbies like RDR had.  But anything that makes it easier to make money = fewer people buying Shark Cards. 

Speaking of, just for fun, I looked up what an Oppressor MK2 costs...you need to get a Terrorbyte first, so the total cost would be like 4-5 mil.  I always figured the real asshole griefers were dumb kids just paying real life money for all this stuff.  Good to have that assumption verified.  And obviously, people who grinded to make Oppressor/Terrorbyte money would have more empathy for people just trying to do some jobs.

I can't wrap my head around the mentality it takes to spend hundreds in real life money just to buy add-ons to use to fuck with people in a video game.

On 3/9/2022 at 10:13 AM, Chaos said:

Having to pay for the campaign and GTAO separately is really bizarre especially giving GTAO has been a free add-on to the game for two generations.

I think it's because they're going to keep focusing on Online, even though they're working on (and will eventually release) GTA6. This way Online isn't tied to a specific entry in the series, it's now a separate game.

I'm still confused on the whole "free until June" thing though. So if I claim GTA Online before then, do I keep it forever without having to pay? Or do I pay $10 or whatever after June? Or is that price only for people who didn't claim it on PS5 during that three month window?

On 3/9/2022 at 2:01 AM, Cristobal said:

Throwback to 2016, my crewmate CetrolBP (name changed to protect the guilty) and I are doing a mission, and Cetrol notices a lack of traffic in the mission.

Cetrol: "It's so empty in here, it's like Nuremberg."

Me: "...Huh?"

Him: "It's this race track that you can drive street cars on."

Me: "...You mean the Nurburgring?"

Him: "Yeah that."

Me: *spends the next ten minutes cracking up*

Good times.

• 2 weeks later...

Rockstar is gonna squeeze every possible dollar out of folks they can before GTA6

Rockstar Games has announced that it is adding an optional subscription service to Grand Theft Auto Online. This premium service, called GTA+, is only available on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S and will cost $5.99 a month and give users a few benefits when it launches on March 29.

According to Rockstar’s website, it will add $500,000 into each member’s Maze Bank account in the game and give them the ability to get properties that unlock gameplay updates, vehicle upgrades, discounts, GTA$, and reputation points. In addition to the monthly lump sum, it will also offer new rewards every month, which subscribers have about a month to claim. Members will even get access to special GTA+ Shark Card deals on the PlayStation Store or Microsoft Store. The first month of benefits will include:

• GTA$500,000 delivered automatically to your Maze Bank Account.
  • The Principe Deveste Eight — along with a complimentary Hao’s Special Works upgrade for it before it is made available to purchase by the general public — plus the HSW Orange Trip and HSW CMYK Glitch Liveries.
  • The Auto Shop located in La Mesa, introduces an assortment of gameplay updates from Los Santos Tuners. Current Auto Shop owners can relocate to La Mesa at no additional cost.
  • Waived LS Car Meet Membership fees. Current LS Car Meet members with GTA+ will be reimbursed GTA$50,000 during this event period.
  • Yacht owners can upgrade to the Aquarius Super Yacht at no additional cost.
  • The Gussét Frog Tee and Broker Prolaps Basketball Top and Shorts automatically added to your wardrobe.
  • The Conveyor Livery for the Mammoth Avenger, HVY APC, and TM-02 Khanjali.
  • A selection of free paints and emblems for the Auto Shop.
  • A three times multiplier for GTA$ and RP on Hao’s Special Works Race Series.
  • A two times multiplier for Car Meet Rep on the Street Race Series.

These will be separate from the regular GTAO events, which will still continue for everyone. Rockstar will reveal more GTA+ details, including how to cancel, on March 29 when the GTA+ section of Rockstar’s site goes live.

LOOOOL god damn.

I just got back into playing GTA Online and it's fun enough, but none of that appeals to me.  Especially not enough to add another subscription service.  But there's definitely an audience considering how many people are obviously buying Shark Cards.

I'm hoping Rockstar Games won't decide to introduce trophies that are only obtainable through GTA+. I'm wanting to 100% GTAV PS4 (which includes Criminal Masterminds & Elite trophies) and currently all of them auto-pop on PS5 version once you get them on PS4 version.

Edited by Andrew POE!

Oh Jesus Fuck, can we PLEASE get on with GTA6 already.  Why not launch GTA+ with GTA6 so that we all end up playing the next gen GTAO for the next twelve years?  

Edited by J.T.