DVDVR Message Board

A General Grand Theft Auto Discussion Thread

42 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Really, I don't recall ever being able to go CEO on a private lobby...

It's been like that from the get go. The only restrictions were that you needed to be in a public lobby to access the computer. The new Contract work allows you to do it in an Invite though. 

If you do need to go public and want a lobby by yourself, it's pretty easy.

I do this on PS4...

Settings->Network->Setup Internet Connection->WiFi or LAN (whatever you use)->Custom->Auto everything except MTU. Change that to something like 800-820.

• 3 weeks later...

All of the cool things are put into the game long after I am gone.

wp3949246.jpg

I would totally get the Princess Robot Bubblegum car wrap for my Sultan GT if all of my data hasn't been purged yet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Robert C said:

Y'all be quiet.  Everybody make sure not to tell JT they put that out five years ago.

I don't even think I post in this thread more than once every two years since I stopped playing GTAO.

I blame myself.  I was cheap and did not want to buy a XB1 at launch. 

Now I own a launch S/X.  I have learned from past mistakes.

Edited by J.T.

Playing online after a long layoff.  Randos are still hit or miss, mission-wise.  They're either experienced and really great OR fucking sociopaths who crash their Shark Card-bought supercar 15 times on the way to the mission and proceed to play like morons.  I was just trying to grind on and off for a few days to afford an Agency and do the Franklin stuff.   The good news is that Agencies are 25% off this week, so I'm set.

Last week I played a lot of Power Play mode since it was 3x cash & RP.  It's a fun mode overall but Adversary stuff is also such a shitty mixed bag.  My team was getting schooled in a fair fight so most of them quit.  Even in losing, the payouts were still good, so I hung with it for two more rounds of 6 on 1, 40 kills wins.  It sucked.  

There's also a really shitty glitch where if you've played the last Dr. Dre mission (which I joined at random by picking "Contact Mission" on the phone), then the LSIA hangar (used in the mission with a wall over the front, forcing you to sneak in the back) has a transparent wall blocking the front of it for any other mission that uses that hangar.  That REALLY fucked up my ability to quickly beat Dispatch II.  Instead of driving up, bazooking the plane, and driving off, we have to sit and wait for the plane to try to leave, as it hilariously glitches through the wall, then hit it with 2-3 missiles as it takes off.  So yeah, putting a wall on the hangar for one mission caused the wall to be there for every other mission.  WTF Rockstar?

Edited by Technico Support

TS talking about LSIA reminds me of that dumb steal the cargo plane mission.  Dan was our best pilot and fucking Fresh would always use up all our team lives driving directly into enemy gunfire and getting blown up inside of his car.

Good times.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I don't even think I post in this thread more than once every two years since I stopped playing GTAO.

I blame myself.  I was cheap and did not want to buy a XB1 at launch. 

Now I own a launch S/X.  I have learned from past mistakes.

I forgot what year this is.  So it was actually six years ago.  And y'all had left for Uranus at least a year before that thing even came out.  I've been playing this dumb game a long, long time. 

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

TS talking about LSIA reminds me of that dumb steal the cargo plane mission.  Dan was our best pilot and fucking Fresh would always use up all our team lives driving directly into enemy gunfire and getting blown up inside of his car.

Good times.

Were you ever around to play the mission where you have to break into the military base to take out a witness for Madrazo after we found the real way to do that?  

step 1, steal an ambulance

step 2, put everybody but the driver on the roof of said ambulance

step 3, jump into Zancudo

step 4, everybody shoot rocket launchers

step 5, profit

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Playing online after a long layoff.  Randos are still hit or miss, mission-wise.  They're either experienced and really great OR fucking sociopaths who crash their Shark Card-bought supercar 15 times on the way to the mission and proceed to play like morons.  I was just trying to grind on and off for a few days to afford an Agency and do the Franklin stuff.   The good news is that Agencies are 25% off this week, so I'm set.

Are missions even worth grinding for money at this point?  I haven't done one in years, but if they haven't raised the payouts there are quicker ways. If you have the sub or auto shop, and don't mind grinding, you can make serious money quickly from Cayo Perico or the contracts.  The agency stuff pays well too after you get into that.  

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

There's also a really shitty glitch where if you've played the last Dr. Dre mission (which I joined at random by picking "Contact Mission" on the phone), then the LSIA hangar (used in the mission with a wall over the front, forcing you to sneak in the back) has a transparent wall blocking the front of it for any other mission that uses that hangar.  That REALLY fucked up my ability to quickly beat Dispatch II.  Instead of driving up, bazooking the plane, and driving off, we have to sit and wait for the plane to try to leave, as it hilariously glitches through the wall, then hit it with 2-3 missiles as it takes off.  So yeah, putting a wall on the hangar for one mission caused the wall to be there for every other mission.  WTF Rockstar?

Game's only been out eight and a half years.  Give em time.  They'll get it right, I'm sure

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Were you ever around to play the mission where you have to break into the military base to take out a witness for Madrazo after we found the real way to do that? 

Yep.  I was around for that mission.

I was also there for the one where you break up the Lost's human trafficking ring at the abandoned hotel in Sandy Shores.  I rode the getaway motorcycle and got the hooker to safety while Melraz and Burke provided Buzzard support and you and Rippa followed behind me in a stolen gang van.  It was almost too easy.

Edited by J.T.

I'm about 35 packages and the unique jumps (and the final mission) away from getting 100% completion on Vice City DE.  

I cannot overstate how nice it is to be back in Vice City, it's like a warm blanket.  Though I will say, I do not miss how easy it was to roll cars over in the game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yep.  I was around for that mission.

I was also there for the one where you break up the Lost's human trafficking ring at the abandoned hotel in Sandy Shores.  I rode the getaway motorcycle and got the hooker to safety while Melraz and Burke provided Buzzard support and you and Rippa followed behind me in a stolen gang van.  It was almost too easy.

Ah, the hooker with the man's voice (until they fixed it). Always good for a laugh.

And I do have about 10 of those Princess Bubblegum Sultans that are not only now completely worthless but will punish you if you try to sell them. I still have a lot of empty garage space because I lost all appetite for buying $2 million cars.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, my gamer feed is full of the GTA6 Active Development is "Well Underway" articles, but I'll believe it when it drops. 

And it better fucking be set in Vice City.

I don't expect it to be out before 2025.  

Take Two applied for a patent back in 2019 for a new in-game virtual navigation system, so that's the thing journalists have been grasping on in the past as evidence that GTA6 was on the way.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Also - the "next gen" versions of GTA V will finally be released on March 15

Jesus, they do realize there's this thing called April coming up in a few months, right?  I have a ridiculous number of titles on my buy list for Feb and March, practically nothing after that.

Really hoping for something different creatively, I always heard rumors back in the day that the Vice City follow up would be set in the 70s. I’d really like to see that, or even the 60s, maybe in a return to Vice City, or perhaps a mid century view of a city in decline like Detroit. Maybe I’m too willfully ignorant but I’d rather not see a game set during or around the pandemic and the ugliness that is the American sociopolitical landscape, just give me subtle hints at it and social commentary from a more cleverly disguised perspective. Also I really hope they open up the mission structure more. Nakeyjakey did a great video you can find on YouTube about RDR2 and how the openness of the world completely clashes with the on rails mission structure. 

• Like 2

On 2/4/2022 at 4:09 PM, J.T. said:

Yeah, my gamer feed is full of the GTA6 Active Development is "Well Underway" articles, but I'll believe it when it drops. 

And it better fucking be set in Vice City.

I don't expect it to be out before 2025.  

Take Two applied for a patent back in 2019 for a new in-game virtual navigation system, so that's the thing journalists have been grasping on in the past as evidence that GTA6 was on the way.

This. We've had returns to Liberty City and San Andreas, give us Vice City dammit. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is the best GTA game ever.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, A.M.B. said:

Really hoping for something different creatively, I always heard rumors back in the day that the Vice City follow up would be set in the 70s. I’d really like to see that, or even the 60s, maybe in a return to Vice City, or perhaps a mid century view of a city in decline like Detroit. Maybe I’m too willfully ignorant but I’d rather not see a game set during or around the pandemic and the ugliness that is the American sociopolitical landscape, just give me subtle hints at it and social commentary from a more cleverly disguised perspective. Also I really hope they open up the mission structure more. Nakeyjakey did a great video you can find on YouTube about RDR2 and how the openness of the world completely clashes with the on rails mission structure. 

I’m actually with you on this. Because of 4K remasters their has been a jump in appreciation of gritty crime films from the 70’s, and 80’s. Although it’s funny cuz it can be argued that RDR2 is just modeled after American revisionist westerns from the 70’s. So it’s already dabbled in it. But it’d still be fun to try it in the actual 70’s.

I think the best place to put it would be the early 80’s. So you can have a little from both times. Model it after Thief. Yes I know they did it somewhat with the last one, but it’s hard not to try it again in that era. I’d even try to do a character like Caan’s from that film. A total anti-social psychopath that thinks he can organize his life into the perfect retirement, but as soon as the other shoe drops it’s time to burn it all quickly. 

On the whole openness, I agree too. Maybe a character similar to Tommy. A two bit criminal who was just released from prison restarting in another city slowly going up the chain of crime through discovery. You’ll make choices along the way that’ll set yourself up either as a a kingpin of drugs, guns, prostitution, money laundering, or gambling.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Assuming GTA6 and GTA Online are paired like Online was with GTA5, I don’t think we’ll see anything that’s not present day. Gotta make that sweet, sweet Shark Card money somehow, and I don’t see 12 year olds spending $25 in real money for a ‘71 Nova.  They’d riot without their shiny super cars and weaponized vehicles. 

they’d better give me Vice City, though. Hopefully with a random encounter or two with old, washed up survivors from the 80s. 

Edited by Robert C
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 9:59 PM, A.M.B. said:

Also I really hope they open up the mission structure more. Nakeyjakey did a great video you can find on YouTube about RDR2 and how the openness of the world completely clashes with the on rails mission structure. 

Agree with you 100% on this.  Part of the reason I've replayed GTAIII so many times is that the missions (for the most part) can be played many different ways.  I'm always finding new ways to play through.  Unlike GTAV, which very much felt like an interactive movie at points.

But TBH I don't have high hopes for the single player of GTAVI.