DVDVR Message Board

A General Grand Theft Auto Discussion Thread

13 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I soured on the Definitive Edition games and uninstalled them yesterday.  I had finished 1/3 of GTA 3 and booted VC just to drive around and listen to music.  Me giving up on these games wasn't even a matter of the glitches (I didn't encounter any).  For me, the issue is how lazy this remake is.  They just gussied up the graphics of the mobile ports and added a few features and called it a day.  I guess I was hoping for these old games rebuilt in GTA 5's engine.  The stuff I'd been hoping for was poorly implemented or not done at all:

• Weapon wheel: works okay, glad time slowed down when using it, but they kept the original "click L1 to cycle weapons" functionality as well, which was dumb.  So to turn off your current weapon, you have to open the wheel and choose the fist.
  • Radio wheel: works okay, glad time slowed down when using it, but it doesn't show the current station or song.  Mapped to a different button than in GTA 5.
  • Checkpoint/continue: This sucked.  Your "checkpoint" is your meeting with the mission giver.  No mid-mission checkpoints.  If you fail "Bomb Da Base II," for example, you should continue from the docks.  Instead, you continue from picking up 8 Ball and still need to drive across town.  Fucking garbage.
  • GPS: can't use it during a mission. For example, the mission where you need to make several trips to pick up prostitutes, GPS refused to map their locations.  Also, pathfinding is wonky.
  • Combat: Rockstar touted "enhanced combat" or some such marketingspeak.  What we got was better camera controls and free aim, which is nice.  What we needed was a GTA 4 or 5 cover system.  I don't care if it's a remake of an old game.  In 2021, I'm not standing 6 feet from a Triad guy and just pumping lead into each other until one drops. 

Again, this is all stuff completely non-related to the glitches and graphical issues.  This is purely gameplay shit that was over promised and under delivered.

I don't own a console to play these on but those stick out as bad especially the checkpoint system. That's rubbish.

Edited by The Natural

Apparently the patches are being mostly well-received.  Personally, I think the definitive edition will end up being the best way to play the game for most of us.  I’ll going to give it a couple more patches though.  I really like the changes & improved graphics and lighting most of the time.

For now, I’m just happy monsoon season is over.

• Like 2

I haven't tried it out yet.  Meant to last night, but it makes you go into a public session to do the missions.  

So that meant meant melraz and I had to go into a public for the first time in months.  Then a crew of four decided to go after me in that new armored Rolls Royce SUV thing.  And a bunch of other dots followed em.  An hour later everybody else had run away, both of our dots were bright red, and it was time for old guys to log off and get some sleep.  Maybe tonight.

On 12/8/2021 at 1:58 PM, PetrolCB said:

I am happy to see that Frankling put the $500 Million I earned him from the Big Score and stock market manipulation to good use.

So, GTA5 is also trying to tempt me with reinstall.  I hate this.

Edited by J.T.

How I missed Lamar and Franklin together.  

Poor Chop got OLD.  So far it's just basic shit (along with dropping $4M on the Agency (if one wants it fully loaded) but the garage is small, and you can only modify the Cars in this update.  

On 12/8/2021 at 8:26 PM, Raziel said:

So... Online is timeskipping to *after* story mode now? 

On 12/8/2021 at 10:06 PM, PetrolCB said:

It did that a while ago during one of the updates. I wanna say it was Doomsday.

I just started playing online again and was thrown when Lester mentioned the big heist in a cutscene.

On 12/9/2021 at 6:00 PM, Raziel said:

I'm still thrown off by both Matrazzo and Trevor being alive in Online.

I'm getting emails from DOM about parachuting in GTA online.  Considering the timeline is now AFTER GTA V, wtf?

Presumably they're assuming anyone still playing would have completed all the base missions/ parachute jumps/ survivals et cetera ages ago.

Try doing just one Parachute Jump and see if he leaves you alone. There's one at San Andreas called HALO that only takes like 30 seconds if you do it right (which does require you to know what a HALO Jump is).

• Like 1

hahaha, mission givers in GTAO leaving you alone..

At least some of them have been switched over to somewhat ignorable texts instead of straight phone calls every 5 minutes (I've actually wanted to murder the MC guy because he gets super passive-aggressive),

Also, along with this update, the radio station list has greatly expanded (I don't know if the playlists changed, but I know West Coast Classics is now having a Dre Takeover)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

hahaha, mission givers in GTAO leaving you alone..

For missions, call the mission givers up. They'll give you a mission, but you don't have to do it. That should stop them from calling. I'm not sure anything stops the calling over not finishing heists.

"You need to buy an arcade"

"Fudge you, Lester, I don't wanna"

• Like 1

They did mention that with this update they cut down the frequency of calls and texts. R* put them on the map now, so you just hover and click on their icons.

One plus, you can do these new Dre and side contract jobs in an invite only lobby, so nobody can fuck with you.

While it wasn't an issue with me, since I change my MTU so nobody can show up, it does make it easier if you wanna chill out and do some stuff without getting hassled.

Did they up the limit of active CEO's/MC Preses available at one time?  That was getting annoying when Tuners dropped that you couldn't access any of the higher paying missions (or any of the Tuner stuff) without being a MCP, VIP, Member or CEO, but your server hitting the limit of active ones of those.  

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Did they up the limit of active CEO's/MC Preses available at one time?  That was getting annoying when Tuners dropped that you couldn't access any of the higher paying missions (or any of the Tuner stuff) without being a MCP, VIP, Member or CEO, but your server hitting the limit of active ones of those.  

Yeah, there's always been a limit.

But like I mentioned, you can do these in Invite Only/Private lobbies.