DVDVR Message Board

A General Grand Theft Auto Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'd love to know what everybody here's favorite GTA game of that generation is.  I see so many people on the GTA reddit who like San Andreas the most but that's probably my least favorite of the three so I wonder if I'm just an outlier here.  I didn't like San Andreas' RPG elements and the gang warfare was such a chore that every time one of my territories was under attack, I skipped it by saving (which kept the territory yours and voided the attack).  The county car races were a massive pain in the ass, too.

I hate those races also, especially with Catalina screeching in your ear.

The gang warfare is a lot easier if you max out the weapon skill on the Uzi or SMG (especially the SMG which probably the best overall gun in the game).

I'd rank the games III > SA > VC.  I'm replaying III now for probably the 30th time and I'm still finding new ways to complete missions.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'd love to know what everybody here's favorite GTA game of that generation is.  I see so many people on the GTA reddit who like San Andreas the most but that's probably my least favorite of the three so I wonder if I'm just an outlier here.  I didn't like San Andreas' RPG elements and the gang warfare was such a chore that every time one of my territories was under attack, I skipped it by saving (which kept the territory yours and voided the attack).  The county car races were a massive pain in the ass, too.

Bless you. I thought I was alone thinking Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is the worst of the three GTA games from that generation. Welcome aboard, son.

1. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

2. Grand Theft Auto III.

3. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

• Like 1

Snoop Dogg says Dr Dre is in the studio working on "great fucking music" for the "GTA game coming out"

No one knows if this means for the PS5/XBOX Series X version of GTA V or for GTA VI

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Snoop Dogg says Dr Dre is in the studio working on "great fucking music" for the "GTA game coming out"

No one knows if this means for the PS5/XBOX Series X version of GTA V or for GTA VI

Dre makes a cameo in the intro mission for the Cayo Perrico heist. So, I'm assuming it's the PS5 version of V in "March".

1. San Andreas is so much bigger and deeper than the other games in the series. There's just... so much of it. So much more to do. And CJ is a far more sympathetic and likeable character than Claude or Tommy.
  2. Vice City was a big jump in quality from 3, and going to a period setting rather than a present day one, and having the licensed music to fit the period and so on, that was really good. But I never was that big of a fan of Miami Vice or Scarface, so...
  3. GTA 3 was a groundbreaker, the first 3D game in the series, but it's also the most primitive one, obviously. Also, it's so gloomy.
  • Like 2

I think I enjoyed 3 the most precisely because it was so gloomy.  Everyone you went after in the game was so morally bankrupt that you never felt guilty about doing horrible things to them. 

SA's depth was a blessing and a curse.  There was so much to explore, but sometimes it felt a bit overwhelming.

As for my preference of GTA protagonists:  Trevor Phillips -> CJ -> Claude Speed -> Huang Lee (Chinatown Wars)

• Like 2

I wonder if, for the re-release, any work is being done on GTA 3's soundtrack.  Each "station" is pretty much a just a 15 minute MP3, K-Jah is just five songs from the same album, and the Flashback station is the Scarface soundtrack.  It's really limited but I'm torn, because it's kind of charming in how limited it is.

• Like 1

GTAIII is my favorite game of all time, but I can't listen to the soundtrack at this point.  If I play through the game now, I put on Spotify or a media player to use my own music.  I think they should have the option like on the Xbox/PC version of SA where you could randomly play MP3s and there would be a commercial/DJ banter every few songs.

If anything, VC and SA might be losing some songs, as has been the case with every re-release of the games.

Edited by Neil Koch
  • Like 3

Goofed off to see the Halloween stuff, but the only thing I got was a Christine attack. I had to die to figure out it wasn't another player in a flaming car.

Small, chill room. Everyone was minding their own business making money to buy the approximately 200 cars they've added since I was last on.

On 11/3/2021 at 6:37 PM, jstout said:

Goofed off to see the Halloween stuff, but the only thing I got was a Christine attack. I had to die to figure out it wasn't another player in a flaming car.

Small, chill room. Everyone was minding their own business making money to buy the approximately 200 cars they've added since I was last on.

Amateurs.   Everybody knows you go to Cayo Perico to make money.    That’s what the cool kids tell me online anyway  

im still playing on and off.  I’ve shot a total of one dot since the last update.  It’s a weird time in Los Santos. 

8 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I love San Andreas so much. Warts and all. Just a fucking batshit crazy, giant, oversized game.

I remember loading the game and not really wanting to do anything but make the ride from the bridge in San Fiero to the airstrip.

Always tried to make the run at night while listening to K-DST or K-ROSE.

Sublime.

Pretty sure San Andreas is the only GTA game from that era that I completed. I do not like the 80s, so I could give a fuck about Vice City. 3 was my first exposure to Grand Theft Auto, and it was fun - but only because it was the first game like that that I ever played. Each game after that improved on the last.

My least favorite out of all the GTA games is IV though, by far. But, oddly enough, I played that one more than any of the other games that isn't named San Andreas.

During the pandemic I 100 % competed every GTA from 3 on. I wish I had known these remasters were coming out, as they look pretty faithful to the originals which are still pretty fresh in my mind. Kind of underwhelmed by some minor things, as I’d really like to see changes like 3 having more durable cars and the inclusion of bikes, nothing game changing like swimming, but it doesn’t seem like they’ve made any gameplay improvements at all. I also don’t understand the use of San Andreas SFX for the maps in all three games, it’s really jarring in Vice City especially. Despite some complaints, I’ll still be getting them and 100%’ing Vice City first, as it’s a fun little 25 hour romp.

I will say after completing every game, GTA 5, which I loved when it came out, lost a lot of appeal to me on replays and I found the linearity of the missions to really clash with the open world presentation. After the PS2 games where you can beat a mission any way you feel like tackling it, 5 just feels way too restrictive and on rails for me. I hated IV when it came out and had never made it past the first few hours, but finally playing it in 2020 made me appreciate it a lot more, even if it felt like I was driving on ice the whole game. That’s where the series really traded the fun factor for realism, and it made the whole game feel like I was slogging through a swamp. IV does a better job than V at feeling a little more open with how you beat missions though but the PS2 era games are still the best to me, some I’m glad they didn’t change the physics in the new ones and kept the same chaotic speed of the gameplay. 

Also LCS really stood out to me as being the most underrated of the bunch. It’s basically a polished GTA 3. I love that it rewards you for doing side content with some of the best stuff in the game, unlike GTA IV where you get absolutely nothing for painstakingly hunting down 200 pigeons. The side missions are also some of the hardest I’ve played in the series, Bumps and Grinds specifically took me days. 

• Like 1

Grand Theft Auto III, 0:51.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, 59:45.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, 1:53:22.

---

Boooo for removing the mission passed music from Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

Edited by The Natural

Yeah, the darkness was weird. I adjusted the contrast and that helped a bunch. Had some other glitchiness (fell through the world at one point), but it seems to run great for the most part. Of course, since these are out today, my head decided to gift me with a migraine. Only put a half hour in before I figured it’d be better to wait  

I can practically still navigate LC with my eyes closed, though. My game time today was basically just driving around listening to Chatterbox. 

Edited by Shane
  • Like 3

Spent the morning gathering hidden packages in Portland.  I will say the implementation of rain in this games is godawful.  Just the fucking dirt worst.  Apparently, the rain is not a 3D object but rather a 2D overlay over the whole screen.  Regardless, raindrops are not supposed to be thick white rectangles that fall in a perfect pattern and make it impossible to see anything.