DVDVR Message Board

A General Grand Theft Auto Discussion Thread

I'm not looking forward to those awful ambulance missions in 3 and Vice City.  Hope they change those.

Meanwhile I'm playing the heck out of 5 again, and haven't shot a dot in weeks.  Spending all my time stealing cars and making money.  Weird.

Online, or in single-player? I figured someone would give you grief online. 

I keep meaning to jump on, but I've developed a fear of anyone better than me, which is anyone who knows how to do that damn Mary Lou. One more party request from someone Level 80 who wants to make fun of me for being such a chump will cause me to huck a controller in deep frustration.

1 hour ago, jstout said:

Online, or in single-player? I figured someone would give you grief online. 

I keep meaning to jump on, but I've developed a fear of anyone better than me, which is anyone who knows how to do that damn Mary Lou. One more party request from someone Level 80 who wants to make fun of me for being such a chump will cause me to huck a controller in deep frustration.

Melraz and I have been hanging out in crew only rooms.  No dots.  Just doing the new tuner stuff, which can be done outside of public rooms, promoting clubs and stealing Sentinels, Sandkings and Dubsta 2's.  It's like that weird time after the CEO org stuff came out when we just did that for six months, except there's no horrible missions to get the cars off.  Doesn't pay as well, but sill make a bunch of cash.  It's oddly chill.

E8rqfLaXsAYo0Qs?format=jpg&name=medium

E8nZyaOXMAoWZhQ?format=jpg&name=large

Love Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. The two best GTA games with Vice City on top spot. Really didn't like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Probably my least favourite GTA game of the ones I've played (GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, IV and V. Hardly played the latter two).

5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

4. Grand Theft Auto IV.

3. Grand Theft Auto V

2. Grand Theft Auto III.

1. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

Edited by The Natural

San Andreas was by far the best GTA of the PS2 generation. Very obvious how everything they learned making 3 and VC really helped them build an all-time classic.

Still a bit mad how the PS2 got three GTA games, whilst GTA5 got three generations of Playstation.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

San Andreas was by far the best GTA of the PS2 generation. Very obvious how everything they learned making 3 and VC really helped them build an all-time classic.

Still a bit mad how the PS2 got three GTA games, whilst GTA5 got three generations of Playstation.

I couldn't get into San Andreas at all unlike III and Vice City.

I can't hate on San Andreas.  KJAH alone puts it above GTA4.

My personal GTA rankings, best to worst.  Never played GTA1 or GTA2.  Rankings 3-5 would probably change based on the phase of the moon.

1 GTA5 Online

2 Vice City

3 San Andreas

4 GTA3

5 GTA5 Single Player

6 Vice City Stories

7 Liberty City Stories

8 everything else in the universe

9 GTA4

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 1:13 PM, Robert C said:

I can't hate on San Andreas.  KJAH alone puts it above GTA4.

Blasphemy!  Tuff Gong with Carl Bradshaw in GTA4 is every bit as good as KJAH.

The ambulance missions in GTA3 and Checkpoint Charlie in Vice City can both eat bags of dicks.  I might be interested in slogging through San Andreas if it gets a total GTA5 graphics remastery.

Otherwise yeah, GTA fucking 6 already or can I at least get a grown man console worthy Chinatown Wars?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Altogether, I think San Andreas had the best soundtrack of all the games.  I thought they really nailed all the stations.

I would hope that they would re-license the songs that got taken out of all the subsequent re-releases, but I'm not holding my breath

• Like 1

V was the first one where you can skip a mission.

I've played through the mobile versions of the classic trilogy and they make things a bit easier by putting in checkpoints in some of the longer missions and the game will auto save when you start a mission or trigger a checkpoint, so you can start back at that if you fail the mission.  Also, you don't lose your weapons if you die.

• Thanks 1

I just hope they don't disable the trick you could use to beat Hillary in The Driver.  Parking a fast car down the street from the race start before beginning made that one very manageable.  I remember there being a mission in Vice City Stories where I desperately wanted the ability to do that.

• Like 1

Yeah, I never learned that trick so that was as far as I ever got in Vice City.  I think I enjoy it less than most people, on the whole.  It had a great aesthetic and was a big jump over 3 but it was still pretty janky and had some rough mission design.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Yeah, I never learned that trick so that was as far as I ever got in Vice City. 

Me and you both and I KNEW about the trick - somehow I couldn't get the car in the right spot

I think about the Vice City soundtrack a lot and can't wait to play it again.

• Like 1

I remember there was a little bridge by the police station a little ways down from the start line.  I always grabbed a stock car and parked it down by that bridge, drove the crap car Hillary wants you to use over and swapped cars there.  I've beaten it legit, but REALLY don't want to have to do it again.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 1:50 PM, Neil Koch said:

V was the first one where you can skip a mission.

I've played through the mobile versions of the classic trilogy and they make things a bit easier by putting in checkpoints in some of the longer missions and the game will auto save when you start a mission or trigger a checkpoint, so you can start back at that if you fail the mission.  Also, you don't lose your weapons if you die.

Cheers. I've hardly played Grand Theft Auto V. Cool you can skip a mission. Are you penalised for doing so? Didn't Red Dead Redemption have a mission skip also?

On 8/19/2021 at 4:05 PM, RIPPA said:

Me and you both and I KNEW about the trick - somehow I couldn't get the car in the right spot

I think about the Vice City soundtrack a lot and can't wait to play it again.

Whenever a song from Grand Theft Auto: Vice City comes on radio, it makes me smile. 

Demolition Man, Death Row and The Driver were bastard missions. Toughest I've played.

Toughest GTA III missions: S.A.M, Espresso-2-Go and Exchange.